Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.
Bug when I add a word to the dictionnary
mmig
Hello,
When I add a new word to the dictionnary and I try to use it, the word is not considerated. I've to reboot my phone and when I've do this, the new word appear in the prédictions. I haven't this bug with old versions.
I've already try to save preferences, uninstall the app + dictionnary and install again but same problem....
HTC Desire 2.2 Froyo with HTC Sense. French dictionnary.
Thanks.
cyrilDeveloper
Indeed this happens if you edit the user dictionary directly from the settings instead of just doing a long press in the prediction bar (which is the normal method btw). Looking at it.
moggy75
I've same problem and this tips has solved the bug! Thanks!
cyrilDeveloper
Finally I found the bug! It should be fixed in the next version (check the beta here)
In portrait mode, using compact layout. When I spell a word not in the dictionary, I can long press the input field and select to add the word to the custom dictionary. I receive a message that the word has been added to the custom dictionary. However, when I type the word again, the new word is not shown as an option in the predictive text bar. When I check the settings > text prediction > user dictionary, the word is not there, either.
If I manually add a word to the user dictionary (settings > text prediction > user dictionary > add word), then the word will correctly show in predictive text bar. Can you please confirm whether or not you are able to reproduce this behavior?
Thanks!
cyrilDeveloper
I can confirm this issue is no more reproducible
nCubed
I think I may have rebooted my phone between the last testing and now the save to custom dictionary works. However, if I reset all my user dictionaries, then the behavior occurs again, re: unable to save to custom dictionary when long pressing a word.
I've reset my phone again, and the behavior is occurring again. This is a brand new phone with very few applications installed.
nCubed
There is something definitely going wrong with my keyboard.
I was using the Trial version.
Cleaned out my user dictionary from smart keyboard trial.
Uninstalled the Trial Version.
Rebooted.
Purchased the Pro Version and installed.
Went into smart keyboard settings to add a few words to the custom dictionary and oddly all the custom dictionary words I attempted to add when testing the Trial version now show up in the list (note: these words never showed in the Trial Version).
I cleaned out the custom dictionary; no entries are displayed in the list.
Attempted to add a new word through the recommended way, re: text input screen > long press word > add to custom dictionary.
The dialog result says the word is added; however, when I view the custom dictionary there are no entries.
This is the weird part: When I go to add another word through the text input screen, I can see *all* the old test words in the background. However, they never show up in the custom dictionary list nor in the word suggestion box.
Any ideas?
nCubed
I think I see what's going on. I'm using the Compact keyboard while in portrait mode. When adding a word to the custom dictionary through long press of word, the word is being added to the phone's default "User Dictionary", not smart keyboard's user dictionary. This explains why I could see all my old test words in the background (see previous post).
In other words, none of the words are being added to the smart keyboard user dictionary; they are all being added to the phone's default user dictionary.
cyrilDeveloper
Did you restore settings from trial in the pro version? Otherwise there is NO reason word added in the trial appear in the pro version. However, words added to the phone user dictionary (which has nothing to do with Smart Keyboard and is not something really standard) are imported by Smart Keyboard Pro to its own user dictionary. So from what you describe, it's like you didn't actually use Smart Keyboard as current input method, and add words to the phone user dictionary instead of SK one.
[EDIT] saw your post too late. So I came to the right conclusion
cyrilDeveloper
That being said, Smart Keyboard CANNOT add words to the phone user dictionary (there is no code for that, and the app doesn't even have the required permission in its manifest), so are you sure you really use Smart Keyboard??
nCubed
I am 100% positive I am using Smart Keyboard. There isn't even a compact mode/t9 in the regular keyboard (afaik). I can send you screen shots if you'd like to verify. I just tested again and every time I add a word to the dictionary via the text input > long press > add to dictionary, the word *always* ends up in the phone's user dictionary, not smart keyboard's dictionary.
This is a brand new G2x (LG-P999) phone from T-Mobile; maybe there's something odd with the T-Mobile build?
The conclusion that I wasn't using smart keyboard may not be a correct conclusion
cyrilDeveloper
Well, the conclusion was that words ended in the phone user dictionary, but I really don't see how that would be possible. I will check again
nCubed
Hello Cyril,
Wondering if you've had a chance to review this issue, re: word always ends up in the phone's dictionary, not Smart Keyboards.
Thanks!
cyrilDeveloper
I had a look but I still don't understand how that's possible. As I said, there is no code in Smart Keyboard to write in the phone dictionary, and it doesn't have the permission to do that. This is probably a side effect of something else but it's almost impossible to know without playing with your phone.
nCubed
Yeah, this does sound weird. I'm more than happy to take some screen shots or a quick video demonstrating what's going on.
As I mentioned before, this is a brand new T-Mobile G2x. Smart Keyboard was one of the first things I installed and the behavior has been present from the beginning. Both in trial mode and paid mode.
Question 1: From a previous post, when I long press a word, the menu item I use is: "Add <word> to dictionary" - is that the correct menu? If not, what is the correct menu item?
Question 2: After pressing "Add <word> to dictionary", a new screen is presented with a modal window for "Add to dictionary" with an input to edit the word to add to the dictionary. In the background of the modal window, I can see the current words in the dictionary, and the label above the existing words say: "User Dictionary". Are these the expected screens? (These words are the words that are in the phone's custom dictionary, not Smart Keyboard's).
cyrilDeveloper
Ahhhhh ok there is a misunderstanding. You don't have to long press the work in the text input area, but in the prediction bar! (Smart Keyboard has no idea at all of what you are doing in the text input area!)
nCubed
Glad we got that one figured out! Maybe the user docs could be updated to state "do not long press the word in the text input field; that will add the word to the phone's user dictionary".
A good feature would be to Sync the two dictionaries. Or at least copy one to the other.