Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Calibration for Smart Keyboard Pro

imekul
The default HTC Hero keyboard has a calibration tool that seems to help accuracy quite a bit. I was just wondering if such a tool would help Smart Keyboard Pro.

Anyone think that's possible/necessary? I can't say I have big issues with accuracy, but if there were a way to calibrate it, I would imagine the accuracy would improve.
cyril Developer
Hi
indeed it has already been suggested, and it's somewhere in the TODO list (not with a very high priority though)
yvon
+1 for this, however do it better than HTC : HTC (Hero) calibration works only for letters, not for numbers. So it improve the letter recognition, but then decrease the number recognition thereafter, as you have to click on a key differently if you're in letter or number mode !!
cyril Developer
Calibration is at last (partially) implemented! You can try the first version in the latest beta version! (go to "General Settings", "Calibration")

At the moment, there is no distinction between letter and number symbols, this will come later, however there are different calibration settings if you do it in portrait or landscape mode. Only "y" shift is used at the moment (ie vertical correction on letters); "x" is the horizontal correction, and "s" the vertical correction for the space key (they are not used yet but they will be soon)

By the way I would be very interested in knowing the "calibration profile" you see when you run the tool, it will help me improving it

Waiting for your feedbacks!
Zarch
Cyril, I ran the test 6 times and saved after each run (should I do this or does one test affect the subsequent tests?)

Also, do you have to reset the test? Or is running it again akin to a reset?

-2 -1 0
-3 -5 -3
-2 -3 4
0 -4 3
0 -5 2
-2 -3 0

Hope this helps?

(Running on HTC desire)
cyril Developer
All tests are independent, so the values are reset each time you restart one (maybe I should change this?). If the previous values are kept, I will need to add a "reset to factory defaults" button
cyril Developer
cyril wrote:All tests are independent, so the values are reset each time you restart one (maybe I should change this?). If the previous values are kept, I will need to add a "reset to factory defaults" button
So I just updated the beta; now the previous values are taken into account when you run a new calibration, unless you click on "Reset" button.
Zarch
A few more portrait runs for you Cyril.
-4 -2 -7
-3 -2 -6
-3 -2 -5
-2 -3 -5
-2 -3 -6
-1 -3 -6
 0 -2 -7
 0 -2 -7
 0 -2 -6
 0 -2 -7
 0 -2 -8
 0 -2 -8
 0 -3 -6
 0 -3 -4
 0 -2 -5
 0 -2 -7
I hit "reset" in the middle of a test and it FC on me. Opened up calibration again, hit reset and FC again.

Also, there is no haptic feedback during the calibration run.

Hope numbers are of some use to you??
cyril Developer
Can you reproduce the crash with "reset"? (I can't). If yes, can you install "Log Collector" and send me your logs after a crash?
That's right there is no haptic feedback I will add it
And yes the numbers are useful ;)
Zarch
cyril wrote:Can you reproduce the crash with "reset"? (I can't). If yes, can you install "Log Collector" and send me your logs after a crash?
That's right there is no haptic feedback I will add it
And yes the numbers are useful ;)
Sent via PM.
cyril Developer
You did? I didn't receive anything...
Zarch
cyril wrote:You did? I didn't receive anything...
Thanks Cyril, that is now fixed in the latest beta. :D
cyril Developer
I have updated the beta version. Now everything is taken into account: horizontal, vertical and space bar correction. Let me know if you see issues (or if your accuracy has improved!)
Zarch
A few more runs through for you.

0, -4, -8
0, -3, -7
0, -3, -5
0, -3, -4
0, -3, -5
0, -3, -4
0, -2, -4
0, -3, -6
0, -4, -6

I'll see how I get in over the next day with the accuracy.


EDIT: A Minor thing..... I have my language set to English (UK) with the £ sign. But the calibration tool shows $ on the keyboard....... not relevant to the calibration, but it might be doing something under the hood??
Zarch
Sent some texts today and things certainly seem more precise after calibrating earlier.

Impressed so far.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
schrochem
I was just wondering how exactly his compensates for mistypes?
As you can see above I missed the 't' in the word "this".
Another common problem I have is hitting the 'b' or 'v' when goingbfor the space bar.(see)
Apparently I hit the top of the space bar. So during calibration if I do that does it move the target up higher for all keys or just the space? Could I purposefully hit the v and b higher during Cal to help with this?
Thanks
lukesky
Sorry to dig this old thread.. but I was wondering how Calibration worked. Do the x and y adjustments apply to each key the same or does each key have individual x and y adjustments? Reason I'm asking is there's no way that a user will hit each key the same way (for e.g i would hit th letter 'Q' at the corner nearer to 'S' but I'll hit the letter 'P' at the corner nearer to 'L') so it would probably make sense to have individual x and y adjustments right?

Then what do the numbers actually mean? Say if I get a x value of -5, what does it mean? Does it mean I'm hitting the keys a bit to the left all the time so the keyboard will auto shift to the left? Then what does a negative number for the s coordinate mean? Does it mean I'm hitting the spacebar too high?

The thing is, after doing calibration , I don't really see a big difference in accuracy so I would like to find out how it works so I can tune the calibration properly to my style of typing.
cyril Developer
The calibration is an average for all the keys, it's not individual. You are right that you don't hit all the keys the same way, but computing the offset for each key would make the calibration much more complex:
- you would have to type the sample text many times to get an accurate average offset for each key
- the calibration would then depend on the exact layout you are using (language, T9, compact, numbers, etc...), so the calibration tool would have to be run for each possible layout you can use

"s" is indeed for the space bar, but at the moment it's not used as changing the offset of the space bar can have disastrous side effets.
lukesky
Thanks for your reply Cyril. Having an average for the offset of the keys would explain why sometimes the words I type are very accurate and sometimes they go way off.. guess it's because I'm hitting those letters that are not improved by calibration and probably got even more inaccurate due to the calibration.

I guess there's only 2 ways of making better keyboards.. either make it more accurate to type or better word prediction/correction and Smart Keyboard has gone a long way in both directions which is excellent work by you (and your team?) but if you do have the time, maybe you can improve the calibration tool to improve accuracy.. and it's ok to make the tool more complex or slower if there's a lot of computation to do.. after all we only do calibration a few times..

Cheers! :D