Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

how do I write katakana in Japanese?

yuzuru
I can't find how to write katakana in Japanese. How do I do it? :D.
cyril Developer
The word in katakana should appear at the end of the prediction list; do you have an example which doesn't work?
thany
Sorry for the late reply, but I wondered about this as well.
Indeed, the word in katakana does appear at the end of the prediction list, but it does have some bugs...

A not-so-important bug is that when backspacing a bit to correct the word, it reverts to hiragana.
A bit more important: a long vowel in katakana should be written with a sort of wide hyphen (ー U+30FC) and not with a repetition if the vowel like in hiragana. If you don't write it with this hyphen, it's just simply incorrect spelling... For example, the word maatcha (match) should be written as マーッチャ

In any case, it would be more convenient to just switch between katakana and hiragana. The iPad has this as well (sorry about that :))
kiwiandy
im pretty disappointed there is no direct way to enter Katakana.

The only reason I bought this app was because of the availability of the Japanese input, and is not very functional with this.