Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Seperate dictionnary language and keyboard layout

yvon
I'm french, used to work with an Azerty keyboard. But I write quite a few email in English. So :

- if I choose "FR", I have my keyboard, but not the english dictionnary

- if I choose "EN", I have the english dictionnary, but then a QWERTY keyboard, which generates lots of typing errors.

Dictionnary and keyboard layout are two different things, could you keep them separate ? In my opinion, the language key (FR, EN, ...) should change the dictionnary, but to change the keyboard layout it should be an option deep in the option menu, as this a huge change in the UI, even more than changing skin.

Thanks for your help
cyril Developer
Hi
I think only french people need this ;)
I thought of doing this but it doesn't make sense for many languages (try to use an english dictionary on a russian layout ;) ) and it would make the settings menu more complex.
Anyway I just added an AZERTY english layout, hope it's enough for now
yvon
Hi,

English Azerty is a fix, that's right !! I'm going to donwload it immediately !

BTW, using a keyboard not "tuned" to a language happen a lot, on my PC for example : I can switch Windows to Turkish, and then I have three options, none perfect :

- type Turkish with a French Keyboard
- type Turkish with an Turkish logic keyboard, mapped on a hardware French keyboard (nightmare...)
- change the physical keyboard...

Well, the first option is finally the best as far as I'm concerned, using combinnations I can generate all the Turkish letters...

Another way to handle that problem is that as English is the smallest character set (Unicode > Ansi > Ascii), most european keyboards can write english, whilts the opposite is not true. So if the user switch from an elaborate language and keyboard, to english, he/she could keep his/her keyboard, but if you switch to a language more complex than english, you *may* wish to adapt the keyboard....

Thanks for your help anyway,
AllanTépper
I agree with Yvon. I always type with a Spanish ISO keyboard, which is capable of typing directly in many languages, including Castilian (aka "Spanish"), Catalán, English, French, Portuguese, and others. Every day, I write about 50% of my e-mails/SMS in Castilian, and the other 50% in English. When I alternate the language, I only want to change the language, not the keyboard. I always want the keyboard to be the Spanish ISO keymap, and alternate the language which affects spelling and avoid typographical errors.

For people like me and Yvon, the Language key on your keyboard should only change the language, and the keymap should be deep inside a menu option that is changed very infrequently.
huuub
I think many people woul benefit from the layout being seperate from the language.
You can by default leave them but an option to change the layout to a non native layout would be excellent.
In Belgium we need AZERTY with a dutch dictionary.
(I am searching in the forum how to add words but can't find it)
(also keeping track of choosing suggestions that adds preference would be great)
cyril Developer
Yes I can do something but as I said before that would add some complexity to the settings..
As the only people who complain are French/Belgian who need AZERTY, I prefer to add AZERTY whenever needed
Ducklair
I would like to second the request. I am used to typing on a German QWERTZ layout, but besides German I also write a lot in English and Italian. I would love to be able to switch between those languages without changing the keyboard layout. It's not a major issue, but I keep looking for Z and Y in the wrong places, and this somewhat slows down typing.
Mandark
Seriousley, a lot of the non-English users would like the option of using their language's keyboard layout (if latin, obv) and still have access to the English dictionary.

Myself, for instance, would prefer to have the option of choosing more than one dictionary as the 'active' one, leaving me with, for instance, suggestions from my native tongue in addition to the English ones.
cyril Developer
It's not that simple... but I'm thinking about a new way of handling languages and layouts
cyril Developer
So... there are several ways of implementing this, but to keep it simple, I propose to add an option "Lock latin layout", or "Override latin layout" (feel free to propose a better name ;) ) which will give a menu similar to the "Language" menu with all the possible latin layouts. The chosen layout will override what is selected in the "language key" menu (of course it will override only the layout, not the language!).

This implementation will not cover all the possible situations, but I hope it will be enough for all of you
Mandark
We're not rushing you into some kinda quick-fix here.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say we understand how time-consuming and tedious the development process is.
If you feel that something is difficult and not that important at this stage, take your time with it, try to get the solution to cover as many use-cases as possible, no need to feel rushed.


But if we're opting for quick fixes, in addition to the "layout lock", could we, perhaps, get some kind of acces to the dictionaries themselves?
I'd like something along the lines of a "merge dictionaries" option :P
Just telling us where and how the're stored would help, also, I'm not above some home ghetto hacking. :)
cyril Developer
So I added this option "Force latin layout" (in the advanced settings) in 2.5.0
Ducklair
That's great, thanks a lot! It's definitely easier to work with multiple languages having the keys always in the same place.
janfsd
Very nice addition! :) Could we get the option to enable and disable this with a gesture?
AllanTépper
"Force Latin layout" is a wonderful option! Thank you so much for adding it! You are helping to make Android a preferred platform!

Please check these details with the Spanish keyboard:
  • The current version of the Spanish keyboard seems to me missing this important character: ü (lower case) and Ü (upper case), which are used in words like bilingüe, trilingüe, vergüenza and nicaragüense, among others. This character should exist in both upper and lower case.
  • The current version of the Spanish keyboard seems to be missing the symbols º and ª. These are used to write ordinal numbers like 1ª, 2º, 3ª, 1º, 2º, 3º and abbreviations like Mª and Nº.
  • Although they do appear in the 2nd symbol page, I am a little surprised not to see the symbols ¿ and ¡ as alternate characters of the ? and ! keys.
If any of these is/are already there and I have missed it/them, then I would just like to know where they are. Thank you! You are doing a great job!
cyril Developer
Hello
I will add the missing symbols in the next version (accessible with long press in the normal keyboard)
Clegs
What if you gave us the option to create custom keyboard combination. So I could make a new keyboard with French layout and English dictionary.

I don't think it should be any harder or any more steps should be added to completely change languages and keyboards. I often am needing to switch between English, Spanish, and Arabic.
Clegs
I have downloaded the language and dictionary and they appear to be working beautifully :D
My only thought would be to make the accented letters separate letters and to remove unneeded characters such as Q, W, Y, and X as they are not part of the language.
Even though there are accents on other letters in Esperanto (such as Ĉ) they are actually considered other letters as opposed to just accented letters. So to an Esperanto speaker C and Ĉ are completely different letters.
My suggested layout would be:
ŜŬERTĴUIOP
ASDFGĜHJKL
ZĈCVBNM
And have Ĥ as a second on H because we hardly ever use Ĥ anymore. Having the letters with accent as regular keys would really speed up typing.

Thank you SO MUCH! I have been using this all morning!
cyril Developer
Oops wrong topic ;) And OK I will change the layout for the final version