Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

New CSV export/import feature

cyril Developer
As I think it was a common request, I developed a CSV exporter / importer of the user dictionary and AutoText dictionary.

This will make possible to edit the dictionary from your computer, to merge dictionaries, or whatever you want!

Just go the the "Backup" section in the keyboard settings, and there are several options to perform these actions. Note that at the moment the file path is hardcoded and is
/sdcard/smartkeyboardpro/userdic.csv for the user dictionary, and /sdcard/smartkeyboardpro/autotext.csv for the AutoText dictionary.
The first line of the file is a header, DON'T REMOVE it before importing! (otherwise the first line will just be ignored)

You can test this feature in the 3.16.0 beta version.
Travis90
What program do I have to use to edit the CSV Files? Exel or just notepad too?
cyril Developer
You can use whatever you want, as long as you keep the file in CVS format (which is very basic) and don't remove the first line
Travis90
Thanks! ;)
So... If I give you a CSV file with many italian words, can you improve ours dictionary? Please! Because it's very poor! =P
cyril Developer
Well... finding a list of words is easy (just need to take OpenOffice dictionary...), but to make a dictionary this word list must be sorted by frequency of usage.
CApaddler
Hi Cyril,

I use SKP in US-English and in German. I exported my User Dictionary to edit it on a regular computer. I see, however, that German characters such as ä, ö, ü, ß etc. are represented incorrectly when I view the .CSV file on my Android device, or when I view it on my computer in various editors (Notepad, Wordpad, Excel 2007).

für is shown as für, for example.

Looks like some sort of charset problem. My Android locale is set to US-English. If I edit the .CSV file and reimport, is it going to corrupt these types of entries? How can I be sure that adding new words with these characters will be properly imported when I use the new import .CSV feature?

Thanks!
cyril Developer
Hello
Files must be encoded in UTF-8. You should be able to tell Excel to use UTF_8 encoding when you open the CSV file.
CApaddler
Thanks Cyril.

For people having trouble editing their files in UTF-8 in Windows, there are a few workarounds:

1. Using Excel 2007, .csv files are not displayed with UTF-8 encoding. To work around this, rename the file to .txt and open it in Excel. It will then prompt you for the type of encoding to use.
2. Use OpenOffice/LibreOffice, native support for UTF-8 .csv files is supposedly included.
3. Google Docs is reported to work as well (untested).

Anyway, just a few options for those of you who want to edit your user dictionaries on non-Linux machines.
Ivanhoe
Dear Cyril,

I have made a csv file to import for serbian language, but it contains some 200.000 words and it took couple of hours for it to be imported. Once done however, smart keyboard stopped offering any suggestions except for the names from contacts. I suspect that the problem is in the size of the file. I will upload the file here, and could You please make a dictionary installation out of it if it's possible?

Thanks in advance.

userdic.part01.rar 240.0 KB · downloaded 551 times

userdic.part02.rar 240.0 KB · downloaded 520 times

userdic.part03.rar 37.5 KB · downloaded 524 times

cyril Developer
Indeed the user dictionary is not designed to cope with so many words. I would be happy to create a dictionary for serbian language, but can you provide me with word frequencies as well (or at least a sorted word list) ? Without that I cannot create a dictionary.
Ivanhoe
Unfortunately, this is the best i can get, but for me at least, that combined with smart dictionary function turned on would be much better than no dictionary at all. ;)
Ivanhoe
Update: I will provide You with a dictionary with word frequency as soon as I'm able to gather enough data, so that it would be as accurate as possible. I will use some classic books, general blogs and computer articles so that it would be contemporary enough and so that I could incorporate enough slang and tech talk :)