Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

add a new word

amesca
Hi everyone

I hope I'm in the right place and that this topic hasn't been discussed yet.
I just downloaded the trial for smart keyboard and I have to say I really like it (and I have tried many of these keyboard apps). The only thing I don't get, is how to add a new word when texting. I tried the long press but nothing happens. I don't know if I'm just missing something, or maybe I have to get the pro version to get this option? As soon as this is fixed I'll download the smart keyboard pro, I just want to be sure I can add words directly when texting.

Thank you in advance, and sorry if I made some mistakes in my text, :-)
cyril Developer
Hi
A long press in the prediction bar should work (even in the Trial). Are you talking about the regular QWERTY, or T9?
amesca
I'm talking about the T9 (abc, def, ...). The only way to add a new word is to first delete the word I just wrote, desactivate T9, enter my word "manually" and then save it, but it's a pretty long way to do in my opinion. Usually, like for example in the HTC keyboard you have an option "add a new word", obviously it's missing in smart keyboard. too bad, I really like this keyboard
richardkemp
Yeah my understanding was that in T9 mode words can only be added to the dictionary if they were typed with prediction off. This kinda makes sense though, because if a word was typed with the prediction, then it's already in the dictionary?
cyril Developer
This was discussed in this topic (and many other ones). I'm still thinking about the most efficient way to implement this
amesca
OK thanks that's what I was meaning. Hope you can fix this soon, that's the only drawnback for me for now, as soon as it's fix I'll switch to to pro version.
Thank you very much for the good job and good luck!
SOS
While you think or perhaps find a better solution, could we at least have a temporary feature as already described, something similar to basic Samsung keyboard, a button which cause a pop up to add a new word, auto disables t9 and then when done saves that word, adds the word to the text field (very important as Samsung does not do this, so you have to type the word again after adding it), and auto spaces if enabled ready for next word (Samsung often takes you out of edit mode here forcing additional pushes).

It is extremely annoying to delete the unknown word, switch off t9, retype and enable t9 again. Lots of unneeded taps.
fuorigioco1981
2012 5:24 pm
Cyril its been a year almost now and you still
can't fine an easier way to add a word while in
t9 9 pad layout ????
SamFerdinand
amesca wrote:The only way to add a new word is to first delete the word I just wrote, desactivate T9, enter my word "manually" and then save it, but it's a pretty long way to do in my opinion. Usually, like for example in the HTC keyboard you have an option "add a new word", obviously it's missing in smart keyboard.
Please do something about this, developers..

My suggestion of implementing it would be if T9 is activated and while typing a word and you notice the word database hasn't the suffix you need for the word, you could press T9 again to continue editing the word (while preserving the underline to signify the word is being edited) and afterward long-press on the word as it is shown in the prediction bar to add it (I know the long-press function already exists in the keyboard app, therefore it wouldn't be too much programming to arrange this).