Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Issue with Spanish dictionary prediction - special character

ph1asco
I've noticed when i send a text using the Spanish dictionary prediction feature and the test contains a special character (i.e. ñ, é.. etc) the text received by the other person has ¿ between each character. For example, when I send "Mañana, compraré gasolina" the text received is "¿M¿a¿?¿a¿n¿a¿ ¿c¿o¿m¿p¿r¿a¿r¿?¿ ¿g¿a¿s¿o¿l¿i¿n¿a." Is there a fix for this? Is this a bug with the keyboard or with my service provider? I have an LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile running Android 2.2.1. I have Smart Keyboard Pro 3.16.0 w/ Spanish for Smart Keyboard 1.4.

PS - when the text contains no special characters, the received text is normal.
cyril Developer
Indeed It seems to be an issue with your provider, when messages are encoded in UTF16 (which is the case if you use characters outside the standard SMS alphabet)