Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

SMART KEYBOARD PRO - keyboard layout on right side

vladeoff
hi! I love the Smart Keyboard a lot..but I just noticed some "not-so-big-deal" on the layout of the keyboard..

Under PORTRAIT MODE, I've selected the T9 Layout, which brings the "N70" feel of keyboard.

If the keyboard is set to "QWERTY" the layout is perfect. I mean, no issues for me.

But..

T9 layout, which layout is set to "ABC[2], DEF[3], GHI[4], etc", I've found the right portion of the buttons not aligned well compared to the left portion of the keyboard. You can check it for yourself, and I don't know how to screenshot the layout for proof. :cry:

can you fix this? if not, it's ok. All the functions are well organized. Just that little alignment from the right portion. :D
vladeoff
by the way, use the HTC skin to see what I mean.. :)
vladeoff
still no response for 3 days???? LOL i've paid the app to get the pro version..oh well, i'll find a way to capture the screen and post it here so that the developer could see it clearly. :(
cyril Developer
What is the resolution of your screen?
Indeed there may be rounding issues causing some unexpected padding on the right side; it's probably possible to fix that.
vladeoff
thanks cyril for that input..

my phone is LG optimus one P500 with a resolution of 320 x 480 pixels..please, whoever the developer is, if this can be fixed? i'll be happy to see the "padding" fix as soon as the developer had the time to do so. :)

so happy you replied. :)
vladeoff
After 2 days searching on how to capture screen, now I had this great app that captures what I'm worrying about the keyboard layout in T9. :)

External image (a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net)

I hope somebody could fix the layout on the right side.. thanks.. :)
cyril Developer
After a deeper look at this problem, it appeared that these rounding issues had actually a lot of bad side effects on the layout (the one you mentioned is just one of them).
The layout is now calculated more precisely, which will hopefully solve all the problems. You can download the current beta version to check if this is fixed for you.
vladeoff
OMG CYRIL you did it! I'm so happy! thank you..

When will you post the final app? I've been waiting for you in 2 hrs already! Yeah!!! You got it right.. :D
vladeoff
Few questions.. hope you consider this.. :)


External image (a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net)

1. If am going to update for the future release of the keyboard, should I get the beta version layout, or it will return to the old layout?

2. See the apostrophe ( ' ) in number 1 button? can you change it to questionmark(?) or exclamationpoint(!) ? because it looks empty... 5 more of my friends bought the pro, and they noticed the apostrophe.. they said "it broke the quality design of the keyboard".. ;)

And thanks.. your app fits my needs..thank you very much..
cyril Developer
1) of course all what is in the beta will go into the future version

2) why didn't your friends tell it to me ? ;) Actually I was precisely working on this, so check again the beta link, it has been changed.
richardkemp
Thanks for that beta link Cyril, interesting stuff. I like the popups on long-press keys in T9, good stuff (they are new, right?!). Would it be possible to tweak them a bit? The way it is at the moment it requires two actions to access the 'default' long-press action (i.e. to get a number I have to long-press the key then tap the number), it would be good if on release of the long-press the 'default' were automatically assumed to be the one you wanted, the other options being accessible by sliding before releasing. This is how it was on the HTC IME when I used to use it, I think it works better that way.

Also a little bug: I am using the default google search app, I type in the box and then long-press a key to get the popup. I then slide my finger in the 'preview results' and the keyboard hides, but the popup stays, though is unclickable (i.e. just the image remains).

Do you maintain a list of features 'currently working on' or 'coming in next release', or even 'planned for future' ? And is there a dedicated place to find/discuss betas?
vladeoff
@cyril

I told them to post their opinions here, but seems my buddies are busy with their businesses. Most of them are engineers and architect..

thanks for the link..i'll try again..

We start to like your support..this is a kind of developer we appreciate the most.. by giving support. :)
cyril Developer
richardkemp wrote:it would be good if on release of the long-press the 'default' were automatically assumed to be the one you wanted, the other options being accessible by sliding before releasing. This is how it was on the HTC IME when I used to use it, I think it works better that way.
Well, it has been working like this for one year now... Unless you disabled the advanced option "slide popup keyboard", but it's on by default...
richardkemp
Thanks Cyril, that setting confused me since it mentions accents, which isn't what I was looking for.
vladeoff
@cyril

I've installed the latest beta you've shared.. It is better than the old layout that I have..

suggestions: instead of (!?.,) is it possible to change into (!@*_) or (!@*) ? since the ( ?., ) are already placed in a separate button..with this options it will provide more characters.. your app is getting better and better.. 2 thumbs up for you.. you should name it as "SMART BEST KEYBOARD PRO" 8-)
vladeoff
@cyril

is the numkey 1 (one) have "!@_" characters now?..am willing to try it today. thanks..

*edit btw..when will be the update available? :D
cyril Developer
I added these characters to the popup keyboard of the "0" key.
The update will come when it's ready ;)
vladeoff
wow..can't wait to have an update..

btw, is it an automatic update on my phone, or i'll have to pay for it again?
cyril Developer
vladeoff wrote:wow..can't wait to have an update..
btw, is it an automatic update on my phone, or i'll have to pay for it again?
The new version (4.1.0) is there!
You never have to pay to get new versions (I cannot tell you if it's automatic to get the update, it depends on the way you bought it)
vladeoff
it did auto-update..thanks.. i like the popups in zero..is there any chance to modify some buttons on the right? like changing the characters to the user's need? ;)
cyril Developer
Sorry for the people who like these changes, but I had to revert everything in 4.1.2 as I got a lot of complaints about that. I'll have to find a way to make this optional, but it's not so easy.
vladeoff
what do you mean of "revert everything"? please share here first before i get the update.. what changes did you make in 4.1.2? :(
cyril Developer
The apostrophe is back to the '1' key, and there are no more popups in the T9 English layout. I hate doing that, but these changes were not popular at all.
vladeoff
please consider my request as I always use text messaging as my way of communicating. It helps me a lot having characters in 1 numkey. I wish to try the 4.1.2, but if i do this update, i'll be loosing the 4.1.1 and i don't know where the downloaded file is located if i do an update from the android market. could you at least send or share me the 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 apk's? anyway, i admire your effort in doing updates and providing us customers the best support..
vladeoff
hi again..

i've read some the comments on the other discussion board, and found some very useful from ver 4.1.1 which, (maybe) they haven't seen the benefit of it.. I'll begin to make a lists..

1. Sending e-mails, facebook login, facebook friends tagging, and some quick replacement for words like "at", "and", "@u";

-imho, @ sign is very useful if it's included in the T9 main.. rather than pressing the "?123" button and select the @ sign and press the "ABC" button again and continue to login, tagging, and continue to make quick replacement for words given above.

2. Numkey 1 having 'apostrophe';

-again imho, it's good to remain the 'apostrophe' character, but if the user has dictionary, it will be easy to use the suggested words, rather than to complete typing the word like "foot", "don't", because I find it very easy and i also like the behavior that it automatically predicts words with apostrophe.

-however, if the "T9" (uses dictionary) is disabled and the user still uses the T9 layout, a user like me will save "press events" if the @ sign, _ underscore characters are available on the Numkey 1. Example display in numkey 1 [`@_] or long press Numkey 1 [`] (only) to show popups with [1@_].

3. Other characters reverted to previous layout;
-it's ok with me as I review them thoroughly.

Overall, the update 4.1.2 is best for users with T9 active.

Wat abt if u use ds kind of msg or txt @ur fone? (T9 disabled)
What about if you use this kind of message or text at your phone? (T9 enabled)

Login: myuser@site.com (T9 active)
698737
(press ?123, press @, press ?123)
7483.266

Login: myuser@site.com (T9 inactive)
myuser
(just long press numkey 1 or 0)
site.com

please have some reviews on it.

I'm sharing my ideas because I care and support the developer.

(EDIT) After the update from market, I compare the 4.1.2 and 4.1.1