I finally figured when this happens. If I type "ok" in portrait, the candidate is ok. However if I go landscape the candidate is "on" and sometimes "I'm" .It makes me wonder if there are other weird things happening. This happens in all apps.
ok. goes to on in landscape
Does this happen to anyone else or is this something with my dictionary?
I think I've figured out 'how' this happens but it still baffles me a bit. It depends on what part of 'k' I hit. I can do this in portrait but I think the landscape key size makes it easier to happen. If I hit the top of the 'k' then I'll get 'Ok'. If I hit the bottom of the 'k' I'll get 'on' or 'I'm'
I turned off 'dynamic key resizing' and it didn't help.
I also recalibrated and that didn't help.
Is there anything else I can do or is this just how it is?
Thanks
I turned off 'dynamic key resizing' and it didn't help.
I also recalibrated and that didn't help.
Is there anything else I can do or is this just how it is?
Thanks
I've had this issue many times. I don't know if the letter key borders are not correct or whether it is my finger not hitting it right. i.e., you might be thinking that you hit the "K" key correctly but another part of your fingertip might have touched the adjacent letter first.
I've definitely noticed it's better if I type slower!
I've definitely noticed it's better if I type slower!
It's your finger
Have you tried the calibration option?
Cyril, I think it's more than just my finger placement. I have calibrated several times with the same results. Here is some more info about what I've noticed.
I turned on 'show touch results' to help me in this.
If I turn off 'show suggestions' and I hit 'ok' 'space' 'ok' 'space' etc.
I hit "ok" every single time. Watching the hit points, I'm all over the keys.....
If I turn it back on and do the same thing, I get lots of "I'm" and "on" in there.
Going slower and seeing my hit points, if I'm the left side of the "o" key, I'll get "I'm" as a return.
The reason I'm mentioning this is because it could effect many other suggestions that I'm not aware of. I can't type without autocorrect because I miss things too much......
When I'm slowly hitting the 'o' and the 'k' that's the key being shown pressed in the message. It's also the key being pressed on the skin (currently using your gingerbread). So it seems it gives a wider pattern when suggestions are shown. Does that make sense?
This post was too long to do from my phone so I'm going to follow it up with one that has me tapping out with suggestions on and off
I turned on 'show touch results' to help me in this.
If I turn off 'show suggestions' and I hit 'ok' 'space' 'ok' 'space' etc.
I hit "ok" every single time. Watching the hit points, I'm all over the keys.....
If I turn it back on and do the same thing, I get lots of "I'm" and "on" in there.
Going slower and seeing my hit points, if I'm the left side of the "o" key, I'll get "I'm" as a return.
The reason I'm mentioning this is because it could effect many other suggestions that I'm not aware of. I can't type without autocorrect because I miss things too much......
When I'm slowly hitting the 'o' and the 'k' that's the key being shown pressed in the message. It's also the key being pressed on the skin (currently using your gingerbread). So it seems it gives a wider pattern when suggestions are shown. Does that make sense?
This post was too long to do from my phone so I'm going to follow it up with one that has me tapping out with suggestions on and off
Suggestions off.
Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok
Suggestions on.
OK I'm I'm OK OK I'm on on OK I'm on
Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok
Suggestions on.
OK I'm I'm OK OK I'm on on OK I'm on
Yes when you enable suggestions, you also enable both "proximity correction" and "dynamic key resizing". The result of this is that if "on" has more priority in the dictionary than "ok", the virtual size of the "n" key will increase so you may hit it by mistake. I would have to check this, but maybe the fact that "OK" is in the dictionary (and not "ok") makes a difference. Can you try to add "ok" (lower case) in your user dictionary and check?
Thanks for the explanation. Now I see why the keyboard 'understands' me more often than not.... 
That's really good to know (for a geek like me) how it actually works.
Putting 'ok' in the user dictionary fixed it! It's amazing the difference.
It will also do 'Ok' at the beginning of the sentence like I'd expect.
So now I can type 'ok' when I actually want to type 'ok'
I can't tell you how many texts I sent out with an 'on' or 'I'm' where I didn't want them.....
I don't recall seeing a hierarchy explained. It looks like the user dictionary takes precedence?
But it looks like other options come into play like 'quick fixes', smart dictionary, and custom autotext.
You must have some serious logic behind where to grab the next best decision
I suppose that's why it's the best keyboard I can type on....so thanks for creating that logic!
That's really good to know (for a geek like me) how it actually works.
Putting 'ok' in the user dictionary fixed it! It's amazing the difference.
It will also do 'Ok' at the beginning of the sentence like I'd expect.
So now I can type 'ok' when I actually want to type 'ok'
I can't tell you how many texts I sent out with an 'on' or 'I'm' where I didn't want them.....
I don't recall seeing a hierarchy explained. It looks like the user dictionary takes precedence?
But it looks like other options come into play like 'quick fixes', smart dictionary, and custom autotext.
You must have some serious logic behind where to grab the next best decision
I suppose that's why it's the best keyboard I can type on....so thanks for creating that logic!
I just double-checked and no, it wasn't typing fast that caused this. I slowly pressed the lower left corner of the "k" key as part of the word "ok" - the key highlighted and I got the letter "k" pop-up. However, the default suggestion was "on"!
So maybe this is a moot point. I was just curious.
cyril wrote:Yes when you enable suggestions, you also enable both "proximity correction" and "dynamic key resizing". The result of this is that if "on" has more priority in the dictionary than "ok", the virtual size of the "n" key will increase so you may hit it by mistake. I would have to check this, but maybe the fact that "OK" is in the dictionary (and not "ok") makes a difference. Can you try to add "ok" (lower case) in your user dictionary and check?I am confused about the "dynamic key resizing" - I turned it off yet the behavior continues. Is there a way to also turn off "proximity correction" yet leave "enable suggestions" turned on? For me too, adding "ok" to the user dictionary fixed it!
I will have to check, but I think for the specific case of "ok" the problem is really that "OK" is in the dictionary in upper case, so it's not selected as the default suggestion. Otherwise, the expected behavior is that a typed word is always the default suggestion if it's a valid word (except when an autotext - builtin or custom - is defined for this word)
I am also having this issue but it involves words from my User Dictionary and AutoText as well. For example: My cat's name is Breezy, which I needed to add an entry to autocorrect for since when I type that word, I use it more in reference to her than the weather. In portrait mode, I can type Breezy in all day long and it always comes up as the word I mean to use. In landscape though, no matter how many times I tell it to save, as soon as I type in the whole word, it gives me Brewster as the suggestion and then fills that in when I hit the space bar. It will recommend Breezy at "Breez", but once the Y goes in, it puts "Breezy" to the left, and highlights Brewster. Very frustrating. This isn't the only word it happens on but it's the one I notice it the most on. It's almost as if the portrait keyboard has a better idea of what you are typing. I've tried turning off the dynamic buttons and emptying same words from dictionaries and all of that and the issue still persists.
Sprint Samsung Nexus S 4G
Cyanogenmod 7 - Nightly #28 (Happened as well under the stock Gingerbread 2.3.4 that was on the phone before I rooted and ROM'ed 3 days ago)
Sprint Samsung Nexus S 4G
Cyanogenmod 7 - Nightly #28 (Happened as well under the stock Gingerbread 2.3.4 that was on the phone before I rooted and ROM'ed 3 days ago)
I'm sure cyril will have better input, but I think the only difference in the two modes is the key size. Specifically the key size 'growing' as cyril said. I think in landscape the keys are quite different so i'd bet your second e for breezy it thinks you hit the w. I started this thread because of the 'ok' issue but have wondered about other words that are harder to notice. I like landscape because I can type faster. If you turn off 'show suggestions' do you type breezy in landscape mode?
mr_moist wrote:I am also having this issue but it involves words from my User Dictionary and AutoText as well. For example: My cat's name is Breezy, which I needed to add an entry to autocorrect for since when I type that word, I use it more in reference to her than the weather. In portrait mode, I can type Breezy in all day long and it always comes up as the word I mean to use. In landscape though, no matter how many times I tell it to save, as soon as I type in the whole word, it gives me Brewster as the suggestion and then fills that in when I hit the space bar. It will recommend Breezy at "Breez", but once the Y goes in, it puts "Breezy" to the left, and highlights Brewster.Hmm.. I just tried this and it works fine for me - both portrait and landscape keyboard show Breezy as the choice highlighted (for auto insert when I press space). Are you sure it actually got added to the User Dictionary?
What language are you using? Didn't know if it would make a difference but thought I'd ask. I'm using English.
NickC wrote:I am using English as well and am looking right at the entry in my User Dictionary.mr_moist wrote:I am also having this issue but it involves words from my User Dictionary and AutoText as well. For example: My cat's name is Breezy, which I needed to add an entry to autocorrect for since when I type that word, I use it more in reference to her than the weather. In portrait mode, I can type Breezy in all day long and it always comes up as the word I mean to use. In landscape though, no matter how many times I tell it to save, as soon as I type in the whole word, it gives me Brewster as the suggestion and then fills that in when I hit the space bar. It will recommend Breezy at "Breez", but once the Y goes in, it puts "Breezy" to the left, and highlights Brewster.Hmm.. I just tried this and it works fine for me - both portrait and landscape keyboard show Breezy as the choice highlighted (for auto insert when I press space). Are you sure it actually got added to the User Dictionary?
What language are you using? Didn't know if it would make a difference but thought I'd ask. I'm using English.
I'm also starting to notice that when I type out days if the week all the way, instead of using my auto-complete cheats for it, it will do the same thing too... Tuesday, when typed in full, highlights Tuesdays... I wonder if the built-in dictionary has issues with the corrected words in AutoText...
mr_moist wrote:I removed all references to "breezy" or "Breezy" in my Smart Keyboard User Dictionary and my AutoText dictionary (there is nothing in my Gingerbread User Dictionary) and now in both landscape and portrait, "Breezy" and "breezy" always want to be those words, before I have finished the word, and afterward as well. Once I add "breezy -> Breezy" into my AutoText though, the issue reappears, suggesting Brewster when I type out "Breezy". After removing that AutoText entry, the phone goes back to normal. It would seem there is a bug with Smart Keyboard involving landscape mode and the AutoText dictionary...NickC wrote:I am using English as well and am looking right at the entry in my User Dictionary.mr_moist wrote:I am also having this issue but it involves words from my User Dictionary and AutoText as well. For example: My cat's name is Breezy, which I needed to add an entry to autocorrect for since when I type that word, I use it more in reference to her than the weather. In portrait mode, I can type Breezy in all day long and it always comes up as the word I mean to use. In landscape though, no matter how many times I tell it to save, as soon as I type in the whole word, it gives me Brewster as the suggestion and then fills that in when I hit the space bar. It will recommend Breezy at "Breez", but once the Y goes in, it puts "Breezy" to the left, and highlights Brewster.Hmm.. I just tried this and it works fine for me - both portrait and landscape keyboard show Breezy as the choice highlighted (for auto insert when I press space). Are you sure it actually got added to the User Dictionary?
What language are you using? Didn't know if it would make a difference but thought I'd ask. I'm using English.
I'm also starting to notice that when I type out days if the week all the way, instead of using my auto-complete cheats for it, it will do the same thing too... Tuesday, when typed in full, highlights Tuesdays... I wonder if the built-in dictionary has issues with the corrected words in AutoText...
I don't know, I can't reproduce the problem... I added "breezy -> Breezy" to my autotext dictionary, and it works well even in landscape
I don't know if its related but I had to re-enter some things because t keptnputting a period after the custom word. Once I deleted and really entered the word its fine. Maybe a glitch with the auto add?
It's because you put a space at the end of your autotext. Then with "double space for period" option, adding another space will give you a period...
cyril wrote:I don't know, I can't reproduce the problem... I added "breezy -> Breezy" to my autotext dictionary, and it works well even in landscapeWhat version of Android are you on? I tried to replicate the issue again and was able to do so.
mr_moist wrote:Tried on Froyo and Gingerbread (CM7). Must be a side effect of some other setting you changed...cyril wrote:I don't know, I can't reproduce the problem... I added "breezy -> Breezy" to my autotext dictionary, and it works well even in landscapeWhat version of Android are you on? I tried to replicate the issue again and was able to do so.
cyril wrote:After uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard and not backing up any settings or dictionaries, I still have the issue every single time for every single word I add to AutoText. I've also tried it on Froyo and Eclair versions of Android and it's the same, repeatable issue. Upon some further testing, it only seems to be happening with words that are in the English for Smart Keyboard dictionary as well as my AutoText (I say this since I assume July and breezy are both in that dictionary based on the words working correctly before anything is added to the User Dictionary or AutoText). My shortcuts such as "bo" expanding to Black Ops or "ily" expanding to "I love you" work flawlessly, even when typed out in completion. It might be worth noting too that my shortcuts always place the "bo" or "ily" to the left of what it thinks I want, which is the expanded version, the same way the dictionary seems to think I want Brewster or July's when I type out "Breezy" or "July". I don't know how much more troubleshooting I can do to find the root of the issue since I'm able to repeat it on 3 different versions of Android, always with the same words, all the exact same way, all with fresh installs of the application with no settings or dictionary modifications.mr_moist wrote:Tried on Froyo and Gingerbread (CM7). Must be a side effect of some other setting you changed...cyril wrote:I don't know, I can't reproduce the problem... I added "breezy -> Breezy" to my autotext dictionary, and it works well even in landscapeWhat version of Android are you on? I tried to replicate the issue again and was able to do so.
2 weeks ago and 2 PM's to the dev with no response at all... Thanks for all the help!
I'm still unable to reproduce your problem, even after reinstalling completely the app... Maybe you can backup your settings to the SD card, and send me your file /sdcard/smartkeyboardpro/backup.zip to smartkeyboard at dexilog.com, so that I can see which settings you have. And can you confirm that the problem is that when type "breezy", it doesn't suggest "Breezy"?
OK I didn't get that your problem was only at the beginning of a sentence (or when you try to capitalize the word yourself). However if you just add "Breezy" to your user dictionary (which is the natural method btw) and don't try to do anything with custom autotext, everything seems to work.
cyril wrote:OK I didn't get that your problem was only at the beginning of a sentence (or when you try to capitalize the word yourself). However if you just add "Breezy" to your user dictionary (which is the natural method btw) and don't try to do anything with custom autotext, everything seems to work.I did a few more little tests to discover that haha.
That doesn't solve the issue that I want the word to always be suggested and spelled out upon a word delimiter as "Breezy". I know that adding "Breezy" to the custom User Dictionary will make it an available option but it does not change the fact that the issue persists with all first words that are in the custom AutoText. I have it in the AutoText because I always want it to be given to me as "Breezy", much the same way that I want the days of the week and months capitalized, as is in my other custom AutoText.
I have also tried turning off the "Quick Fixes" setting but this makes it so that all autocorrect doesn't work, both built-in and custom. Being that I rarely ever use suggestions because I type so fast, it's more beneficial to me to have a keyboard that corrects my mistakes, rather than suggests words to me. The suggestions part of the keyboard is getting in my way much of the time. Even if I turn off the "show suggestions" feature, it just hides the suggestions but doesn't turn off the word replacement that happens. If you notice when typing things like "Id" or "Im", even when typed out correctly as "I'd" and "I'm", the keyboard always suggests the right form of the word, even on first words. This inclines me to think that the custom AutoText dictionary words are not being treated as equals with the words that are built-in.
Being that I am technically inclined and did dev work on WebOS, maybe you could point me to the location of the built-in dictionary so I could edit it myself and skip the Custom AutoText feature altogether?
Any update?