Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Serbian language and layout

COLD BLUE EYES
Hello.
Frist thank you ALOT for making this application. It is the best keyboard for HTC Tattoo small resolution screen and i tried alot of them.
I'm just asking if it's possible to add Serbian language and layout to your next release. I'll help you translate, and with both alfabet and cyrillic layout. Also same letters are used by country of Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro and Slovenia so i think it would be a good add to already perfect keyboard.

And once again, thank you alot for the efforts you are puting in this application.
cyril Developer
Hello
this will be in next version (at least for the latin version)
Mandark
Thx for the update, great work :)

I was wondering, could you, perhaps, give us a qwerty layout as an option, in addition to the qwertz one?
Mandark
Also, the language-specific characters really should be in the compact and t9 layouts (right now, the compact layout seems to have German umlauts instead).
atmozphere
All right I am getting a bit confused now. On the main page and in the app market descriptions I see that this keyboard supports Serbian, but I can't find the dictionary anywhere. Maybe you guys can clarify this is Serbian supported or not (I don't care about the layout, just the dictionary and text prediction). I love the keyboard and use three languages on a daily basis, one of them being Serbian, and would love to have the text prediction for it too. For English it works like a charm.
cyril Developer
Yes only the layout is currently implemented; adding the dictionary would be possible with some help (ie with a word list sorted by decreasing frequency of usage)
Mandark
I've actually found a list of words, just haven't yet gotten 'round to sorting them.
As I have no idea when I will, if anyone is in a hurry, I could upload it somewhere and let you to the legwork :)

(someone mentioned this might be a good place to start)
Mandark
I've started going through (not so) random e-books, compiling a list.

What format would you like me to send You the list in, and do you need the frequencies as well, or just the words?
cyril Developer
The format doesn't matter, as long as it structured, and encoded in UTF-8. Yes I need the frequency for each word, or at least a sorted list.
Mandark
I see that the bug tracker seems to have been removed, so I'd just like to repeat my request for a Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian QWERTY layout. (I believe it used to have been marked as "accepted" :P)

Thx in advance :)
cyril Developer
It was not efficient to have both the forum and the bug tracker, and I faced annoying spamming issue, so that was a radical solution...

Did I suggest you to use "Force latin layout" option with "English (International)" layout?
Mandark
Well, no, I believe You just marked it as accepted, I can't seem to remember any in-depth discussion on the topic :)

Also, the English (International layout) doesn't contain most of the Serbian accented characters, and, even if it did, You can see why one might prefer to have a layout without unused characters from other languages :)
cyril Developer
I can understand you would prefer a layout without unused letters, but can you tell me which ones are missing from English (International)? I just checked and all of them are there I think
Mandark
Heh, just double-checked, and while they're present on full-qwerty, but Ž,Č and Ć are missing on the compact layout, and the t9 layout doesn't have ANY of the ex-yu letters (Č,Ć,Ž,Š,Đ)!
Ninolina
What can I do to help developing Serbian T9 Dictionary? I use Smart Keyboard and I am missing so much T9 for Serbian...:(
Mandark
I actually have a relatively decent word-list (don't ask where I got it, though :P), but, i fear it's too large.
The latin version is ~3MB, the cyrilic another megabyte more...

Cyril, would you consider this acceptable? (I stress that randomly chopping off the "bottom" part of the list isn't really acceptable in our language, due to it's structure :( )
Mandark
Well, kinda :)

I used TEXT-2 and scanned a couple of e-books I found. Not too many, just the contemporary stuff I found, as I didn't want too many archaic phrases in there.

The problem is, in our language, any given word has many different forms, and the sorting algorithm obviously doesn't reflect the frequency of each root word.
So, while a word is relatively popular, the end list often lists certain forms of it at the very bottom, just because that particular form didn't come up too often in the publications I scanned...

Here it is, again, mind the fact again, that it's far from polished, as you can see just by taking a glance at the end of the file :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XQQNEL3H
Dejan
Hello,

first to say, great app :) Finaly i have keyboard that i like, so i would like to ask if there is any progress with T9 and Serbian dictionary as i would kill for one. Can i do something to help to speed it up? Btw. just downloaded what Mandark posted and i can say i would be more than happy with that one as T9 :)