Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Text issue with Copilot

ryznar
I am getting a problem with trying to use Smart Keyboard Pro with Copilot Live, here are the versions:

Motorola Milestone with Android 2.1
Smart Keyboard Pro version 97
Copilot version 778

When I try to input text using Smart Keyboard Pro, the 1st character enters fine, but then when I type the 2nd character, it adds the 1st character again and so on, for example:

Enter "a" = a
Then enter "b" = aab
Then enter "c" = aababc
Then enter "d" = aababcabcd
Then enter "e" = aababcabcdabcde
Then try to delete 1 character = aababcabcdabcdeabcd

This happens with both the soft and hard keyboards. The stock android keyboard works fine with copilot.

Please help as it is very annoying having to switch keyboards every time I want to use Copilot!
cyril Developer
This is a known issue (http://bugs.smartkeyboardpro.com/view.php?id=40)
I tried once to reproduce but didn't have this problem (though I canceled my order before the 24h deadline, so maybe the problem only happens in the full version?). Can you tell me if it happens everywhere in this app or in specific fields?
As it happens only in Copilot, I would say this is a bug in this application, as it doesn't use the standard android widgets for text edition. Can you test with quick fixes / suggestion etc. disabled? I suspect they don't handle this correctly, so if I'm correct, a workaround would be to disable it automatically when using Copilot
ryznar
Thanks for the quick reply cyril.

Yes it happens in all text fields.

I unticked only quick fixes (which unticks/disables various other settings) and this fixed the problem.

How do I automatically disable quick fixes when using copilot?
cyril Developer
That's the whole problem ;) I need to find a way to detect that the keyboard is used inside Copilot, I don't know if it's easy
ryznar
Ok, thanks for that, let me know if/when you succeed!
gubbero
I'm also experiencing this very annoying bug.
However I noticed one thing this morning. This only happens when you insert letters or signs accessable from the letter mode.
I dosen't happen for numbers or signs in the number mode.

Never experienced this problem with other keyboard apps so I don't think it's fair to blame it on Copilot.

// Suzpel
cyril Developer
Well, from what I understand, the problem is that Copilot doesn't handle well "composing text" (text which appears as underlined when you are in a "normal" app). I guess you have this problem in Copilot because you enabled the option "Always suggest", which may not exist in other keyboards, which forces the keyboard to use composing text every time. So, try to disable this option, and I am pretty sure it will work better
cyril Developer
So, that was the problem! (when I tried first to reproduce, I had "Always suggest" disabled...)
Now, "always suggest" is disabled automatically when the keyboard is used in CoPilot. This will be in the next update
ryznar
Great stuff cyril, thanks for that, when can we expect the update?
gubbero
Thanks for the update !!!!
Great work
// Suzpel
diabolikoo
Thanks for the update but I have the problem with htc legend android 2.1 and last SMP...:( how can i resolve?
Froghut
I'm using version 2.4.1 but I still have the same problem in Copilot - auto suggest is enabled but doesn't get disabled when in copilot. I have a german system, perhaps that matters?
cyril Developer
What is exactly the version of copilot from the market you are using? (there are several ones)
killeriq
facing the same problem, using CoPilot Live 8.2.0.218, typing extra letters
im using the smartkeyb 3.5.0

any new fix on the way? thx
cyril Developer
Actually it's already fixed since yesterday ;) (in the beta of the next release)
The problem is that Copilot changed the name of its package, so Smart Keyboard was not able any more to detect it
killeriq
cyril wrote:Actually it's already fixed since yesterday ;) (in the beta of the next release)
The problem is that Copilot changed the name of its package, so Smart Keyboard was not able any more to detect it

coool ;)
sinan
Hello,

I have the above issue with my

HTC Wildfire with Android 2.2
Copilot Live 8.2.0.218 and
Smart Keyboard Pro 3.14.0

I have already tried both the workarounds mentioned above but did not work.

Any idea how to get over this?
cyril Developer
Have you tried to disable "always suggest" option?
Can you enable debug logs in the advanced settings, and find a line starting with "Called from package" in your phone logs (you can retrieve them with "Log Collector" app) when you show the keyboard in Copilot?
sinan
Yes, I have disabled the "alvays suggest" option, it didnt help.

And in the logs, there are some lines as follows:

02-28 21:49:01.371 D/SmartKeyboard( 172): onFinishInput
02-28 21:49:01.371 D/SmartKeyboard( 172): onStartInput: restarting=false
02-28 21:49:01.401 D/SmartKeyboard( 172): onStartInputView
02-28 21:49:01.401 D/SmartKeyboard( 172): Called from package com.android.vending
cyril Developer
"com.android.vending" is the name of the Market app, not Copilot. Can you try again just (I mean a few seconds) after typing something in Copilot?
sinan
cyril wrote:"com.android.vending" is the name of the Market app, not Copilot. Can you try again just (I mean a few seconds) after typing something in Copilot?
aha! OK, here it is:

03-01 21:09:02.182 D/SmartKeyboard( 172): Called from package com.alk.copilot
cyril Developer
So it's the correct package name, it should work... Is it with QWERTY or T9? Have you changed specific text prediction settings?
sinan
cyril wrote:So it's the correct package name, it should work... Is it with QWERTY or T9? Have you changed specific text prediction settings?
it's the keypad without T9. isn't it supposed to work also with the text prediction? i have the "always suggest" off, that's all.

by the way, it never worked with copilot after I got the android 2.2. it was OK when I had android 2.1 with the previous version of the copilot. this problem occurred only with the current copilot.