Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

App2SD in android 2.2

unzim
Can you please add app2sd for froyo?

Thanks
cyril Developer
What is it supposed to mean for Smart Keyboard?
unzim
nothing except give a little more space on phone memory moving as much as possible to sd card.
imekul
I guess it means it allows SKP to be installed to the SD card instead of the phone's internal memory? I'm not sure, but perhaps developers have to enable their app to be install-to-SD-able.
unzim
This is what I ask... nothing more.
cyril Developer
Ah ok, I was not aware that I had to do something special to enable this in Froyo (you can already do it if you have a custom ROM, without any modification of the app)
However the android documentation explicitly says that input method engines and services (which smart keyboard is) should not be allowed to be installed on the SD card, as it will cause unexpected behavior.
So I prefer not to enable this option, and let people do this at their own risk by using a custom firmware if they want (I already got a lot of emails from people complaining of issues when using Cyanogen MOD, and these people are supposed to know what they are doing, so I don't even imagine to open this possibility for the "average" user)
cyril Developer
So, starting from version 3.6.0 (you can already try the beta) you will be able to install all the dictionaries (including English) to the SD card. Of course you will loose suggestions if you try to open the keyboard while the SD card is mounted, but hopefully it will not crash ;)
This will also make the main app much smaller as the dictionary the biggest part of the package.
Can someone let me know the results?
cyril Developer
Please also note that people who installed the keyboard on the SD card (because their ROM allowed them to do so) may "lose" the keyboard when they restart their phone, because the SD card is not yet ready when the phone is starting. So they have to change the input method again each time the phone is restarted.