Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Auto capitalization after each sentence and on new lines

imekul
Would it be easy to automatically capitalize after periods, question marks, or exclamation points? For some reason, I keep expecting SKP to automatically capitalize the first word of the next sentence.

Also, it would be nice if SKP would capitalize new lines after pressing the return key.
cyril Developer
That's why there is an option "Auto-capitalization"... Can you give a precise example of what is not working for you?
imekul
Actually, I think you're right...

The main place I'm noticing it is after an emoticon. So perhaps some sort of auto-cap after an emoticon could be a possibility. So that way "Hi. :) how are you?" would automatically be "Hi. :) How are you?"

Think that might be a good idea?
del-boy
I would like to see capitalization after three dots ( ... ). I use three dots all the time and I always must use shift (or swype) after, because it's new sentence, but smart keyboard does not handle them as a single dot.
JoeDirte
I would like to see capitalization after three dots ( ... ). I use three dots all the time and I always must use shift (or swype) after, because it's new sentence, but smart keyboard does not handle them as a single dot.
If you have completed a declarative statement and would like to start a new one, you should use a period. SKP will then capitalize the next word correctly. You're using ellipsis incorrectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Don't request for the software to change to accommodate your poor grammar.
The main place I'm noticing it is after an emoticon. So perhaps some sort of auto-cap after an emoticon could be a possibility. So that way "Hi. how are you?" would automatically be "Hi. How are you?"
I've had this problem, as well.
imekul
I've noticed the lack of caps after punctuation/new line problem in the Star Note app specifically. I don't know what it is about that app. Perhaps it has some sort of special or non-standard text box?
Mandark
JoeDirte wrote: If you have completed a declarative statement and would like to start a new one, you should use a period. SKP will then capitalize the next word correctly. You're using ellipsis incorrectly.
You do realise, of course, that not quite all of the world has capitalisation rules compatible with English ones?
JoeDirte wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis#In_Polish
Using the same source as you, just a paragraph or so below, we indeed find an example of a language where ellipsis are used at the end of a sentence, followed by a capital letter.
v941726
how can you say its bad grammar when you dont know how he is using it. he is correct. a new sentence can start after an ellipses. why couldnt it? maybe you should read your link more closely
del-boy
Is there any chance of implementing capitalisation after ellipsis? I know it has been a few months, but this would be very useful.