Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Smart Keyboard Pro laggy on the Evo.

imekul
I have just noticed that Smart Keyboard Pro is much slower on my Evo than the stock keyboard is. It works okay, but it is slightly laggy, and seems to miss key presses now and then. The stock keyboard, on the other hand, is very fast, and does not seem to miss those presses.

Have any other Evo users noticed this? The default keyboard is more or less instantaneous, and there is just a slight (but noticeable) lag when typing quickly on SKP.
cyril Developer
Can you check if you have a lot of lines like this in your phone logs (you can see them with Log Collector) ?
06-12 16:37:47.951 D/dalvikvm( 6266): GC freed 37730 objects / 1422360 bytes in 241ms
imekul
I count 13 lines that say something like:

06-15 22:46:00.643 D/dalvikvm( 6254): GC freed 1789 objects / 270432 bytes in 60ms

I have about 1,000 lines total in the log file that Log Collector generated. Seems to range from 06-15 22:45:26.323 to 06-15 22:46:00.643.

Does that tell anything?
cyril Developer
The important thing is the "in 60ms" part
It corresponds to a complete freeze of the phone, as it is the duration of the memory garbage collection process.
However maybe the "lags" you are talking about are not lags, and are linked to the multitouch issue discussed in the other topic
imekul
Hmm...

I know the stock keyboard on the Evo is lightning-fast. There is a definite difference between the two keyboards.

I wonder if something else could be causing SKP to lag. I do have a bunch of AutoText entries. Could several hundred of those perhaps slow it down? Or any other idea of what I could check/try?
cyril Developer
Yes you can do a backup of your settings and send me your backup.zip so that I can investigate
imekul
Great. Just e-mailed it to you.

I'd be interested in hearing what you find!
cyril Developer
Hello
I will investigate whether a big user dictionary can cause lags, but at least I can see you enabled debug logs, which is a real performance killer...
You should try again without them
imekul
I will try it without the debug logs enabled.

Any other tweaks that could improve performance? Disabling smart dictionary or anything like that?

Thanks for the help!
cyril Developer
Yes disabling the smart dictionary will definitely help as well (I am working on improvements for it)
cyril Developer
Hello
So what is your feedback now?

I am a bit upset that many people (I am not talking about you here ;) ) complain about "lags" on the market, without even sending me an email, and the few people who send a mail don't even answer to my reply (so far I didn't get a single reply about this subject), so I can never know if the lags are due to smart keyboard, or something else, and if my advise was useful...
imekul
Hi Cyril,

I think disabling the smart dictionary helped. Unfortunately, I lost my ability to test it more extensively as my Evo passed away during an OTA update yesterday. :cry: But it seemed to be running a little snappier since I disabled the smart dictionary.

My next phone might be an Epic 4G (a Galaxy S phone), so if I get that I can test SKP on that. :-)