Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

ThickButtons

gobbmeister
Re: Striking keys in quick succession doesn't always work
by bradyonly » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:51 am

Just something to add about the iphone keyboard. The size of the trigger area of a key changes depending on the previous letter. Example: after hitting "t" letters like "b" and "n" would have a smaller area compared to say "h" or "i" thus improving accuracy. Just an dying incase you didn't know.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Has anyone seen ThickButtons? It does the above but actually makes certain buttons appear bigger on the on-screen keyboard. However, it takes too long to do this, making typing painfully slow!

If SKB could implement this idea (larger trigger area for certain keys) without making the keyboard appear differently on screen, it would be unstoppable!!

That's not to say it isn't amazing already, by far the best keyboard for Android!
cyril Developer
gobbmeister wrote:If SKB could implement this idea (larger trigger area for certain keys) without making the keyboard appear differently on screen, it would be unstoppable!!
This will be in the next version
jay113
I've recently updated to the last version (2.8.1). And this feature doesn't work. I didn't see any options in the settings menu. I have a Nexus One with froyo
cyril Developer
It works, you don't need an option to activate it.
What it does is that the virtual key size is changed, this is invisible (like what is done in the iPhone and the Froyo keyboard).
Lidodido
Thought this would slow it down but it actually works really well. I think the overall experience in the latest version feels better, might be due to the Multitouch-tweaks but I barely spell anything wrong now, works REALLY good (except for when the word suggestions won't work as I posted a thread about, however that's barely needed with this ThickButton-like fix :) ).
Blrfl
Lidodido wrote:Thought this would slow it down but it actually works really well.
I'll second that. I'm able to type much, much faster.

Nicely done, Cyril.

--Mark
cyril Developer
Good to read! I was a bit afraid when reading a bunch of bad reviews about 2.8.0...
jay113
Cyril you did a wonderful job in this version. The best keyboard apply ever
dalingrin
When I saw this feature in the release notes I was pretty excited.
But in use, I actually can't tell a difference. Even when I've deliberately tested it, I can't tell that the hitboxes are changing.
Lidodido
dalingrin wrote:When I saw this feature in the release notes I was pretty excited.
But in use, I actually can't tell a difference. Even when I've deliberately tested it, I can't tell that the hitboxes are changing.
I just did, trying to type a word which had a letter I apparently wasn't "supposed" to use (first time in like 100-150 texts it has happened) and even though I pressed right on it (well, a bit to the left) it still wanted the key to the left so it was a clear difference.

The bug I've mentioned in a thread (without replies so apparently I'm alone with that) which makes the word suggestion/quick fixes not apply/show up when starting to type a word very quickly after space still remains, however with this hitbox-feature I barely need it because I almost never make a mistake. Works really well!
dalingrin
Thanks for confirming that the hitbox resize works Lidodido. I'll mess with it again to see if I can reproduce.

I have not experienced the bug you mentioned but I'll keep an eye out for it and post back.