Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Numbers keyboard, calculator style

eastoner
Is there any way to add an option to switch to a keyboard that has only numbers on it shaped like a calculator or the numbers keypad on most computer keyboards? This would make it extremely efficient to type out numbers and codes on certain websites.

Love Smartkeyboard and this is the only thing it's missing for me.
eastoner
Am I the only one who wants this feature?
Lidodido
Shouldn't be that hard since we have the T9 Layout, the 123-mode should bring up a number-pad with press-to-holt for alt. symbols imo. Not a bad idea, writing phone-numbers and such can be a pain as it works now...
v941726
i agree. that would be a nice addition
cyril Developer
yes I can add this keyboard easily, the only question is to know HOW to trigger it (there are many options...)
JR1
OH YES PLEASE!!!!!!!! Wow, just discovered your keyboard today, and already can't type on computer anymore! :D

I'm an accountant, and the one thing that has ticked off us and the engineers is that no one has yet to do a numeric keypad for when I'm working in spreadsheets. Indeed, if the cursor arrows and numeric could be on one screen...oh my would that be great. So we could navigate cells and enter numbers.

My suggestion would be to access it with a long press on the 123 button, and move the current functions to a long press on the return/enter button on the bottom right. Or better yet, just let me choose which so existing folks aren't confused.

This is really a great keyboard. Thank you so much.
cyril Developer
I don't think so, long press on return is now used too ;) (to display smileys)
Maybe I could do an option to display this keypad instead of the symbols (which are a bit useless as you can long press on the regular layout to access symbols) ?
JR1
Yes. The teenagers would prefer the smileys...but the rest of us?

Where do I send the champagne when you're done?
JR1
Wait! If you could combine the numeric with the arrows...you don't need a new shortcut. Getting to the arrows would get you to the numeric. If.
eastoner
I am salivating right now at the addition of this keyboard type, with the latest additions to SKP, this is now an essential, world class android app. I still keep Better Keyboard around for the numeric keypad, but I would chuck that out the window if the option was added for Smart Keyboard Pro!!!
cyril Developer
Numbers and Esc key will be added in the next version
JR1
OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY! Retrieving it now....crap. Download unsuccessful...gotta check my entry...
JR1
Oh, duh, tried to get it on my phone....ok, on pc now...am I supposed to drag this onto the Droid?
cyril Developer
You need to store it on your SD card and use "Astro File Manager" for instance to install from there
JR1
Really close, and well done, Cyril! Now, just switch the 123 and 789 rows and you have it! It's still set up like a phone pad and not a calc pad.
And you have the cursors there! I love you.
JR1
YAY! Ready for primetime now. Fantastic. Ready to go see some clients and work in some spreadsheets now. Believe it or not, this was the biggest stumbling block to using the Droid for accounting work, to the point where I just gave up on it. (Yet, I was able to do so on my tiny little Palm Centro!!)

Thanks so much. I'm gonna tell the world about you.
GuRoo
Perhaps a 'Toggle' to allow quick selection of EITHER

[ Phone Number Keypad (123) ]
OR
[ Accountant/Engineer Keypad (789) ]

at the Users Immediate Discretion ...

That way - EVERYONE Can Be Happy!

Especially those who often use Both numeric keypads, for different applications!

Of course, this would have a broader appeal, as well...
and reduce the number of people who 'hang on' to other keyboards for those few remaining, isolated abilities!

The 'Toggle' could be a 'Long Press' [esc] key -> pop-up selection, or added to the language keyboard choices...

I am liking your keyboard(s) and keypad(s),
more, and More, and MORE!!!
(Because they Have - more, and More, and MORE!!!)

(Feel free to quote me, verbatim or modified, as you see fit...)

Some other thoughts, somewhat unrelated...

The keys of <{[ & ]}> Could be Long(er) Press(es) of the 'k(' & 'l/)' key choices...

Blackberry style Long Press keyboard choice that simply CAPITALIZES the letter pressed...
Google may pay you behind the scenes to advertise this to the 'established' BlackBerry crowd, making it much easier for them to walk away from RIM products...

Also, can you program separately, or part of your keyboard ...
The ability to COPY or Duplicate a Complete Contact entry?
This is a sorely missed ability on my Palm Treo 755p that would save a lot of time typing similar entries. Such as coworkers ... Family members... etc...
cyril Developer
Next version will have an option to select the arrows style (arrows only, phone style, and calculator style)
JR1
Cyril, sorry, not quite there. A strange thing, when in the numpad, and you hit a key, it then reverts to the ABC keypad. I have found that if I reopen the numpad, it'll usually stay open for awhile.
cyril Developer
Can you give the exact way to reproduce this problem? (sequence of events, application used, etc)
JR1
Let me report back. I've seen it in both Docs to Go, spreadsheet, and I think in an app called Calorie Counter. I'll reproduce it in Docs to Go and detail it here.
JR1
Pretty easy to duplicate. It's only in Docs to Go, by the way. Open a spreadsheet, click on a cell, click on the edit box at the top of the screen. There are actually two separate issues. One is that when you're done editing, and hit the return key, it reverts to the ABC screen, when it really should remain in numeric mode here. The other is a bug. At times, I'll enter one digit, and it will immediately switch to ABC. Other times, I'll get 2 or 3 digits entered, and it'll revert to ABC. That is while you're still editing the one cell. (It's as if it expected you'd only want to enter a single digit or two and then want to go back to abc...)
Thanks,
Jeff
cyril Developer
Ok so:
1) that's normal, the keyboard cannot guess that you are editing a numeric field (the app could give a hint to the keyboard for that, but it doesn't), so each time you enter a new field, you are in ABC mode by default as usual
2) I couldn't reproduce the problem, but that's probably what you said: the app would stop registering input for the current field, and would somehow reset it
Anyway these are limitations of Docs to Go, I don't see what I could do in the keyboard to avoid that
Jan
cyril wrote:Ok so:
1) that's normal, the keyboard cannot guess that you are editing a numeric field (the app could give a hint to the keyboard for that, but it doesn't), so each time you enter a new field, you are in ABC mode by default as usual
Hello Cyril,
I want to use your SUPER keyboard to enter numeric data on spreadsheet. The "arrow + numeric / calculator" mode is very well designed for that use.
But the problem is allways the return to ABC mode each time you go to a new cell, with Enter key, or by touching the next cell :( . I am sure you can have the answer to this issue.
I would highly appreciate a such improvement in order to choose or not the manually lock of calculator mode, for instance by a Menu option like " Calculator pad manual lock ", then, unlocking could be simply made by pressing again the ABC key...
Considering the present success of Android digital tablets, I suppose that many users would like it...
All the best,