Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Long Press Preview Pop-up sticks

davluth
I've had a problem with the Long Press Key Preview Pop-up since it was implemented earlier this year. I have Moto-Droid 2.1 and if i press & hold for the minimum amount of time required to activate the alternate character, which I always try to do for speed & efficiency, the blue
pop-up will get stuck on screen and that character will not be entered into the text box. A tap anywhere on screen will apply that previewed character. If I switch applications while that preview is stuck onscreen, the blue preview will sometimes stay on screen above any other application, without the keyboard being displayed.

I'd prefer not having the alternate character previews as they don't help me and it seems to slow typing speed. It would suit me to have an option to just disable showing the blue alt char pop-ups.

Thank you, love this app!
cyril Developer
Not sure why you have this problem... anyway try to disable the option "Slide popup keyboard" in the advanced settings, it may help
cyril Developer
cyril wrote:Not sure why you have this problem... anyway try to disable the option "Slide popup keyboard" in the advanced settings, it may help
By the way can you try the beta version http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/be ... 0-beta.apk without changing the "slide popup keyboard" option? I fixed something which may explain your problem
davluth
Hi cyril. "Slide Popup Keyboard" was not enabled so that's not it. I installed the beta and there was no change.

The problem occurs for me several times a day and is easily repeatable within 5 trys. Correction: I said when it's stuck a tap anywhere onscreen would apply that character ... meant a tap anywhere on the on-screen keyboard.
davluth
Update FYI; I received the OTA Android 2.2 update and the sticking problem remains.

Unfortunately this problem has become annoying enough for me to look at other keyboard replacements. :(
davluth
Help please cyril.....Smart Keyboard Pro is the only keyboard I want to use.

Would there be any chance of having a check-box option added called "show alt label preview pop-up".....please?

Thanks, David
cyril Developer
I can add this, but I wonder why you would be the only one to have this issue...
davluth
Is there anything I can do to help, such as video of problem as it occurs...anything else? It's not imagined...honest :)
davluth
Maybe I have above average sense of timing and I am finding this apparent condition that exists between "less than", and "greater than or equal to" Long Press Duration?? There may be some others who experience this but don't take time to seek out this forum, create an account, and articulate their issue.

If it might help, here's more info:
  • It occurs in all apps using the keyboard.
    It began right after that feature was added.
    Things behave normally if "Show preview popup" is disabled, but I prefer having the primary pop-ups.
    I don't think I have any weird apps running that might interfere with kb.
    Moto Droid has always been a bit laggy so strange things can happen when it's "busy", but those things are intermittent. This problem occurs very consistently under all conditions.
I'll try to find others with a Droid1 and ask to install your app & test. I could try a VZW display phone, but not sure if this model is still being sold.

Thanks for considering option add.
davluth
Hello cyril.

I'm at the verizon store and I iinstalled SKB Lite on a droid-2, droid-x, and droid htc incredible.
The same issue occurred on all three phones.
[and dang, they're all so much faster than my droid-1 :'( ]
davluth
That works perfectly for me now ... a thousand thanks Cyril!!

Best regards, David
gobbmeister
I get this too, HTC Hero running stock 2.1.
oliverm
I'm having the same issue on Samsung Galaxy S. It's a shame as the keyboard is great but the alt key pop ups cause the use of the keyboard to grind to a halt. I'm hoping the advanced settings trick will help.
cyril Developer
OK I managed to reproduce the problem and hopefully fixed it
Can you try with the new beta version? (without the workaround in the advanced settings, of course)
davluth
cyril wrote:OK I managed to reproduce the problem and hopefully fixed it
Can you try with the new beta version? (without the workaround in the advanced settings, of course)
Hey cyril,
I loaded this beta and you definitely fixed it, I'm unable to reproduce the sticky pop-up. Thanks very much!

And thanks also for the new number/arrow keyboard, I love it...very useful!

Regards,
David