Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.
auto correct sometimes doesn't auto correct
onthecouch
I've noticed something very frustrating. Sometimes when typing, spk will not auto correct words that it normally would. For example if I were to type "lopking " by accident, it would normally auto correct to "looking." but sometimes it won't. If I go back to the word and purposely retype "lopking" it'll then auto correct properly to "looking." There are many other examples of this. It feels as if spk hiccups sometimes and misses certain corrections that it should otherwise get. This can happen throughout an entire message or email, so you can imagine how frustrating that can be. Is this a known issue or an issue with the phone or spk itself?
Edit: I'm on a Samsung vibrant running android 2.1.
onthecouch
I guess I'm the only one having this issue?
cyrilDeveloper
This used to be an issue in old versions of Smart Keyboard: when your finger slipped on a letter, some letter was displayed but the correction engine registered another one, which caused wrong predictions. However I don't see any explanation with the latest version, are you sure you are using it?
onthecouch
I have version 3.2.2. As far as I know, that's the latest update.
onthecouch
Cyril, any developments on this? The not-auto correcting problem is persisting.
I'm also noticing a more minor issue: the backspace button sometimes isn't very responsive. I can hit it four times to erase a four-letter word, and it'll only erase 3 letters. This happens sporadically.
cyrilDeveloper
There is no development on this as I don't have any idea of what is your problem... By the way is it with one or two fingers?
onthecouch
I usually type with my two thumbs.
onthecouch
Cyril, is there anyway we can look into this? It's growing to be a real problem. Sometimes autocorrect in general just zoinks out and comes back randomly. I'll be typing and in the same sentence, it'll autocorrect mistakes, and not autocorrect mistakes, then autocorrect mistakes again. I'm guessing it's a memory issue? I'm not sure. I'm on a Vibrant running 2.1.
Any advice on how we can investigate this further? Thanks
EDIT: If it makes any difference to know, this happens especially when writing SMS (using the stock SMS app), and Kik (this free messaging app from the Market), but it can also happen when writing out emails.
EDIT 2: Also, whenever this hiccup/lag occurs, it'll think I'm long pressing and it'll punch in symbol keys instead, and a lot of them. For example, if I'm typing "sure", it might lag on the 's' key and it'll type out "####" (which is the symbol behind 's' key).
Lidodido
Same issue here, made a thread but no responses, also reported a bug but no one seemed to have taken notice. It's not just that it doesn't correct the faults, the word-suggestions doesn't even show up at all sometimes. I tried recreating it and if I held down a button and pressed another one and released both very quickly it didn't work, or something like that.
Anyways, my solution was just to start typing slower unfortunately. Works better in portait-mode though, harder to hit the keys but since the keyboard seems to be faster that way it always gives me corrections. In landscape I have to take it quite patiently though.
onthecouch
Unfortunately, I notice that happening too - the word suggestions will randomly not come up.
cyrilDeveloper
Not sure how to investigate this problem... From the symptoms you described (happens only in landscape, if you type quickly) I'm quite sure this is related to multitouch, which is what makes it difficult to investigate as phones behave quite differently regarding multitouch. I will to reproduce anyway
onthecouch
Just to clarify, I never type in landscape (I have that feature turned off in my phone setting in fact). I type exclusively in portrait & normal mode.
cyrilDeveloper
But are you typing with only one finger in portrait?
onthecouch
Two fingers, quite quickly, which as mentioned, causes the lag.
Here are all my issues that I've experienced regularly:
-lag, hiccups, letters appearing very slowly one at at time. -missing suggestions, which appear/reappear -missed auto corrections (usually il will be i'll, but doesn't always get it) -secondary symbols get pressed instead of letters. I assume this is due to and related with the lag. For example, if I type "sky" it might lag on the letter 's' and type out '#' instead, sometimes many of them, '###" -Delete key doesn't accept every press. I've experimented before, when I know I press it four times, yet it'll only erase 3 characters.
There may be more, but these are the major ones off the top of my head.
My general details:
Samsung Vibrant, running Android 2.1, portrait, normal keys, two finger typing, disabled "show preview popup" (has helped a bit with the lag), Android skin, ENABLED Showing alt labels, auto cap, quick fix, show suggestions, auto complete, swap punctuation, space after picking, smart dictionary, suggestion punctuation, period on double space. No sound or vibrate on key press. Let me know if you need any other info.
onthecouch
As I said in the other thread, it would be great to turn off suggestions, yet still allow for auto correction. Suggestion seems to be the main culprit of the lag.
cyrilDeveloper
Can you tell me if you still have the missing auto correction problem with version 3.5.0? I fixed another problem which is related to this one and could have the same effect (though I was not able to reproduce it)
onthecouch
Thanks Cyril. I just updated to 3.5.
Upon preliminary use, Suggestions and Auto correction seems to be a little more stable/constant. Good signs. I'm still noticing lag every now and then though definitely minimized from before. And the secondary symbol key getting pressed instead of letters seems to still persist, though also not as often (eg. "5hat" will come out sometimes when trying to type "that"). All promising signs. I'll keep testing throughout the day to give you a better analysis.
One new (?) weird problem I'm noticing though is that when highlighting a word to make manual corrections, any corrections I make will be added to the word that is underlined instead. For example, if I want to type 'the sky is blue', and instead I type 'the skh is blue" and i double tap "skh" to type "sky", it'll read out as ... "the skh is bluesky" It seems to only happen with underline words - which I'm assuming means it hasn't been processed yet into the sentence. Bizarre. I don't know if this is a known issue, but just noticing it myself after the update.
EDIT: Wow, this seems to be a bigger problem than I thought. Even after clearing out an entire message using "Cut All" when I start typing, it'll re-add the underlined words. So using the same example above, if I 'Cut All' the line "sky is blue" and start typing "hello" on the cleared screen, it'll say "bluehello" Anyone else experiencing this?
cyrilDeveloper
Yes the fix was worse than the problem... I fixed the fix in 3.5.1, so it should be better now
onthecouch
Cyril, after a day's use, I can say the update (3.5.1) addresses many issues: The "cursor bug" is definitely gone. The suggestions and auto-corrections seem more consistent. The backspace key is better too.
The only two remaining issues are
-The occasional lag, which can still cause it to miss characters I know I pressed, especially when typing quickly. Though I have to say, it feels far less frequent now. EDIT: The worse culprit of this is trying to type "the" in a fast message. It'll often miss the "t" and come out as "he." Unfortunately, since "he" is also a common word, I can't custom auto correct he=the. =T
-And the secondary symbol issue (secondary symbols get pressed instead of letters. I assume this is due to and related with the lag. For example, if I type "sky" it might lag on the letter 's' and type out '#' instead, sometimes many of them, '###"), but this also feels less frequent now.
Overall, a great update. You really deserve the pat on the back for your reliable support/updates. Looking forward to fixes for the priority suggestions ("yu" vs "you" etc.) and the possibility to turn off suggestions while keeping auto-corrections.
Thanks, Cyril.
hurleygurlie2388
when i first bought the keyboard the custom auto text was working fine but now it's not. i mainly use it for punctuation and for everything to be lowercase. so when i type im it should change to i'm but now it capitalizes the I : ( also, the double space for period (.) stopped working. pleeeeease help
cyrilDeveloper
You don't need any autotext to translate "im" to "I'm" (there is no problem with that at least in the beta) About the period on double space, it works... if you choose the option "period on double space"
hurleygurlie2388
the option for double space period is selected in the settings... this only recently started happening. and my point with "I'm" is that i have it switched in auto text to correct itself to lower case and it corrects itself in upper case- another problem that only just started happening. i did a battery pull earlier today and it didnt help. i text with both thumbs and use landscape and normal, all the same. samsung vibrant... PS maybe it's just ownership words like I'm I'd I've i'll... i'll is the only one that just did what it was supposed to do
hurleygurlie2388
also, auto complete is turned off and it still inserts im ill ive etc with capitalization. and like I said it didn't do it before. so now I'm just using swype, a keyboard I didn't have to pay for and just dealing with the capitalization I don't want.... I tried un installing and installed the english dictionary, still problems.there are several comments in the market place of vibrant users having the same problem, obviously they didn't read where it said to email you
cyrilDeveloper
Well, you paid for Swype, it's included in the cost of your phone (OEM license)... The other users complain because they forgot to install the English dictionary, it has nothing to do with your (very specific) problem. But I'm working on it, the problem is just that the built-in autotext has priority over the custom autotext, whereas it should be the contrary.
cyrilDeveloper
Can you try this new beta? It should fix your problem by always giving the biggest priority to custom autotext
hurleygurlie2388
so beta fixed my verrrry specific issue lol except the double space to period still isn't working. it was before so idk what the problem is and I swear I have it checked in the settings. maybe it's a vibrant thing... and sorry if I sounded like a dick before,i just miss my blackberry keyboard and you have no idea how excited I was when I first got this keyboard!! and i'd much rather tap what I want than swype this shit lol
cyrilDeveloper
About the double space issue I still don't understand... can you backup your keyboard settings to the SD card and send me the file /sdcard/smartkeyboardpro/backup.zip by mail (smartkeyboardpro at gmail.com) ?