Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

[bug?] Proper apostrophe behavior

c00ller
When a word is either autocorrected or chosen from the candidate bar, a space is automatically added. Now when this word is a name, and I want to add a 's such as "Andrew's", the apostrophe is added with a space, so it looks like "Andrew 's".
Apostrophes should be treated like punctuation. That is, if we have "Andrew " then press . or ! or ? or , it automatically goes to "Andrew. " or "Andrew! " or "Andrew? " or "Andrew, " which is exactly how the apostrophe should work!
I don't know about you, but adding that 's is a pain with this keyboard, unless I am doing something wrong...
cyril Developer
First, the apostrophe on the keyboard is actually a quote, that's one reason why it should not (at least by default) considered as a punctuation.
Also, do you have a typical example or word for which you have this problem? In most cases the dictionary adds the apostrophe itself so you don't have to type it. You can also disable "space after picking" option but I guess you find it useful in other situations...
c00ller
cyril wrote:First, the apostrophe on the keyboard is actually a quote, that's one reason why it should not (at least by default) considered as a punctuation.
Also, do you have a typical example or word for which you have this problem? In most cases the dictionary adds the apostrophe itself so you don't have to type it. You can also disable "space after picking" option but I guess you find it useful in other situations...
Thanks for the response, cyril! You're right, I honestly never noticed that it worked for names as well. However, for proper nouns and words not in the dictionary it will not predict the 's and it is very troublesome having to backspace then add 's. If it's not too much trouble, could you please consider making this behavior an option?
c00ller
I just noticed that for any name that it knows from having "Contacts dictionary" enabled, it will not add the apostrophe itself. It will for normal names like John's or Mike's, but not for names like Tatsuya's or Aalok's. It would be useful if these contact-added dictionary names automatically added the apostrophe.