Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.
Cause of Lag
onthecouch
Cyril, i've honed in on the cause of lag while typing on my phone (Vibrant, 2.1). It seems the "Show Suggestions" is what's the perpetrator. Whenever it's turned on (checked), typing causes significant lag. However, after turning it off, typing is very smooth and responsive. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to allow custom autotexts anymore. So words like "I'll" can't be typed by just hitting "il" (or even "ill" for that matter).
Is there anyway to allow Custom AutoText (and the User Dictionary, too if possible) without requiring having "Show Suggestions" checked on in a future update?
cyrilDeveloper
Of course, computing the suggestions is not a light thing, so disabling them will make everything faster. Have you tried to disable the smart dictionary and keep suggestions on? Technically it's possible to autocorrect without displayed suggestions, and to use the autotext dictionary only, but it's still some work..
onthecouch
Cyril, happy to hear you'll try. Much appreciated. For now, I've turned off both 'Smart Dictionary' and 'Show preview popup' while leaving 'show suggestions' on so that I can keep the custom autotext, and it seems to minimize the lag and hiccups to a degree. However, a future update allowing autotext regardless of showing suggestions would be ideal.
Thanks, again.
EDIT: Actually, i need to keep "smart dictionary" on because otherwise, it keeps thinking anytime I mistype "yu" I really want to type "Yu" instead of "you." I don't know if you recall, but I reached out to you a few months ago when I first purchased SKP about this issue. Without smart dictionary, it refuses to auto correct to "you". I'm not sure why this is especially since I've added the custom autotext to have "yu" or "Yu" switched to "you".
onthecouch
The lag is really making SKP virtually unusable. I'm going to begin researching for alternatives, but I do hope a fix/update will come soon.
cyrilDeveloper
Are you sure you don't use other apps eating resources on your phone? Which Android version and phone do you have? About the "yu" issue, I will remove it from the dictionary in the next version so you won't need the smart dic any more, hopefully it will help
onthecouch
I run Auto Memory Manager and I have the settings set pretty high (meaning very few apps are left running in the background). I don't believe my memory is causing the lag, but I wouldn't rule it out. The phone doesn't seem to lag much anywhere else though. You might have seen my other post already, but I'm running Android 2.1 on a Samsung Vibrant.
Thanks for removing "yu" (just FYI: I don't have SKP settings set to recognize contact list - there is no one named "Yu" in my contacts anyway). Looking forward to that update. Of course, the most ideal situation is to be allowed to turn off Suggestions, but still allow for auto-correcting and customized auto-corrects.
mistical
I am having some lag issues as well and using the same device as onthecouch, Vibrant with 2.1. The last few updates I have really noticed it.
I am not new to any of this either, I have more than enough memory free at any given moment. Which is normally between 100-130MB. I control what I use as well, meaning any regular apps (not system related) that I no longer need running, I do make sure to end. Same goes with controlling what starts up with the device (AutoStarts).
On a side note, I will say that suggestions were greatly improved since 3.2.0 but I have noticed lately that it could be a lot better though, and that I wish it was. I should of remembered what version it was to be exact that this was improved so much, but I want to say it was 3.2.0
Lately though, I guess as onthecouch said, works like "Yu" should not be suggested before "You" where it becomes an annoyance to me. For example if it doesn't pick up that I didn't hit the "o" button or however it doesn't, and I have typed just "Yu", "you" should be suggested over "Yu" or even "time" which I do not get why that would be suggested here either.
Another example (sorry to go off subject further) would be when typing "did" it firsts suggests "di" over "did".
goodie
Samsung android phones are known to have some lag issues with File I/O. I heard that there are some lag fixes in the android market, which mainly changes the file system to boost up I/O speed.
mistical
goodie wrote:Samsung android phones are known to have some lag issues with File I/O. I heard that there are some lag fixes in the android market, which mainly changes the file system to boost up I/O speed.
I personally have already applied these. There is still lag with the keyboard. I know as previously said already that resources get taken up for suggestions and such, which I have no means of disabling anytime soon. Maybe something else by the developer can be done to increase this? Even if it's just for the Vibrant.
cyrilDeveloper
Only the smart dictionary does I/Os, so if you disable it you should not be concerned by this problem (good to know, anyway) The usual source of lags (apart from I/Os) is the java garbage collector, which can freeze the whole keyboard for up to 1 second on a slow phone. I already worked on reducing the impact of the garbage collector, but doing it further is a huge task and would mean rewrite entire parts of the application
cyrilDeveloper
I also suggest you to install "Log Collector" and post your logs after you see a lag in the keyboard, it may help me to diagnose the problem
onthecouch
Sure. I just installed, but I'm not sure how Log Collector works. Anytime I have a problem with typing, I just load up Log Collector and email to you what they have?
smartkeyboardpro@gmail.com correct?
cyrilDeveloper
That's it!
onthecouch
Cyril, I sent a log immediately after I notice lag and an error. The two errors are: "Dang, really? How kuh is he grill? Do you want me to chip in or something?" written in Kik messenger. Obviously, it's supposed to be how "much" and "the" grill. I'm noticing "the" is a recurring problem - it often misses the "t" and since "he" is another commonly used word, I can't use custom auto text.
Anyway, I'm not sure how the log will show you what's wrong... but I sent it to you. My email is onthecouchagain, so if you see that, it's me.
Thanks.
onthecouch
Sent you another one. It's been happening throughout the day (and before too) but I guess two logs should suffice. Well, good luck. Hope to hear news...
This time, it was issues with the word "their". Kept coming out as "teir" until I typed slower. No lag really this time, but just kept missing the 'h'. (It misses letters quite often when typing fast - and not always necessarily due to lag, but most of the time, there is lag).
cyrilDeveloper
No luck unfortunately, these logs don't show anything special. Just an idea, if you really type with one finger, can you check "disable multitouch" in the advanced settings?
onthecouch
I type with two (my two thumbs), and quite quickly. Enabling multi-touch is quite important.
I figured the logs wouldn't show much... =T
Cyril, do you know if those lag fixes around the hacker's forums might help?
onthecouch
After further experimenting, I notice letters close to each other have a harder time registering as presses in respect to multitouch. That's why most common errors are words like "you" (comes out either as "yu" or "ou" etc). Other issues include letters that repeat (like "look" or "see") they often miss that second letter. And lastly, I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but the letter "t" in particular has a hard time registering. To make sure it's not my phone, I hit "t" repeatedly and it registers, and hit "t" repeatedly with other letters (like "tototototo" which comes out okay, but if it was "t" and a letter next to it, it'd come out very laggy, and include symbols. This is true with other letters close by, but seems particularly problematic with the letter "t"). Words like "the" common only registers as "he".
Cyril, if that helps you look into the issue with the lag, or whatever, that'd be great.