Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Smart Keyboard Pro gestures not working

gubble5
Hi there,

I have bought the Pro version and I'm quite happy with it but still I want to be able to use the gestures and I wasn't able to do that.
I have HTC Legend with the latest official update and no rooting, etc..

I've tried swiping fast, slow, something in between, any direction - no result. What should be the problem??
cyril Developer
Difficult to tell... make sure you really swipe from an end of the keyboard to the other one. Only a video could help I think..
gubble5
Yes, actually I came here to post that observation :-)
I had to swipe from start to the end, longer in terms of distance...

Thanks anyway!
chtamina
Gestures aren't working on my lg optimus one as well, I tried to raise gesture sensitivity to the max but didn't help.
I don't think it's a issue with the touchscreen because gestures work on better keyboard

EDIT: same configurations work with my HTC desire but don't work on lg optimus one, I guess there's some issue here.
I remind that swyping with better keyboard, swype or slideIT works flawlessly on lg optimus one as well.
NickC
I'd like to comment on this too. I've found that the up/down gestures work pretty well but the left/right gestures way too often pick a letter instead of the gesture. I've tried bumping up the sensitivity to no avail. Swiping across the entire keyboard left to right or vice versa sometimes works but is still not very robust. Moreover, gestures should work without requiring a sweep across the entire keyboard - forcing that length is difficult and reduces the usefulness of gestures. A quick swipe should trigger.

I'm using Smart Keyboard Pro 3.11.0 on Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate) with Android 2.1
cyril Developer
NickC wrote:Moreover, gestures should work without requiring a sweep across the entire keyboard - forcing that length is difficult and reduces the usefulness of gestures. A quick swipe should trigger
That's precisely how it works on all the phones I tested, especially when you set the sensitivity to the maximum. Maybe the screen (or the screen driver) is less sensitive on some phones, I would have to get them to see why you have problems
chtamina
cyril wrote:Maybe the screen (or the screen driver) is less sensitive on some phones, I would have to get them to see why you have problems
The main issue is that the same phone has no problem with gestures with other applications.
Since lg optimus one is 2 millions unit selling phone
http://www.talkandroid.com/23438-lg-opt ... e-million/ and smart keyboard pro is really useful on small screen...
cyril Developer
The thing is that these other applications are not keyboards (or are they?). Detecting gestures in a keyboard is something completely different, as you need to distinguish them from regular typing (especially multitouch typing)
NickC
cyril wrote:The thing is that these other applications are not keyboards (or are they?). Detecting gestures in a keyboard is something completely different, as you need to distinguish them from regular typing (especially multitouch typing)
That's a good point. Don't know if other keyboards support this. Fortunately the arrow keys exist, so that's a great workaround. What confuses me is how the up/down works so much better.
chtamina
chtamina wrote:I don't think it's a issue with the touchscreen because gestures work on better keyboard
and work on slideIT (swype clone) too.

So I guess there's something about the way gestures work with SKP
chtamina
is this issue being investigated ?
thanks
mau003
chtamina wrote:is this issue being investigated ?
thanks
I have the same issue.

LG Optimus One, the gestures are not working properly (let's say, 1 time out of ten try), while for other programs are working as intended.

Can you try to fix it?
webdizzy
I have the same problem on my LG Vortex. Since there's no other way to close the keyboard so I can view more of the screen when texting, it's a huge issue for me.
chtamina
the main problem for me is that usually I use gestures to change the layout to QWERTY and add words to the dictionary. but since gestures don't work i have to put the phone in landscape then add the word and then put it back in portrait.

as I stated before the same phone has on problem with gestures with other keyboards.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
chtamina
cyril it's been 3 months since this annoying bug has been reported, are you working on it?
thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril Developer
I can't work on it as I never saw a phone having this problem... I will as soon as I can reproduce it
chtamina
ok, I understand. BTW looks like a bug with lg phones.
is there a way to quickly change the layout from t9 to qwerty when in portrait? since gestures won't work...
(currently I have to move the phone in landscape EACH time I want to add some custom words, which in Italians happens like everytime.)

Sent from my HTC Desire
borg17a
Gestures aren't working on my lg optimus one as well, I tried to raise gesture sensitivity to the max but didn't help.
chtamina
I can't work on it as I never saw a phone having this problem...
That's what the developer said, BTW I think he could try a new way to implement swypes because better keyboard gestures or swype (keyboard) gestures works flawlessly.

I think he's going to find a lot of beta testers
kalleraeh
I also bought Smart Keyboard Pro and have the same problem. With my LG Optimus One gestures are not possible. :( With Swype and other apps with swiping functionality there are no problems. I would be very happy if the problem could be solved because Smart Keyboard Pro is a great piece of software. :)
chtamina
Since this issue it being TOTALLY ignored, there should be a fasw way (a fast switch) to change from t9 to qwerty like you'd do with a simple swype on the screen.
Being able to fastly switch to qwerty mode is really important because it lets you add new words
atjong
(To open up an old discussion)
I too experience that horizontal swyping is often leading to unwanted letters in stead of a space or a backspace. I did some research and found out that increasing the long-press time helped a bit but didn't eliminate the problem. Before I had my long-press time set to about the minimum. Then I started some testing with the 'Show touch spots' options turned on (3rd option in the advanced settings). Please check out the bitmap below. The last 2 words should have been "gestures are" but a "g" was added instead of a space. This swype gesture started at the "s" and ended at the "j" but the red line somehow skipped the "h". This brings me to believe this really is a bug in SKP. What do you think?

External image (atjong.tweakdsl.nl)

I'm using a HTC HD2 with Android 2.3.4 installed.