Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

How to switch language in Built-in keyboard?

aborisov
Is it possible? I mean, yesterday I've bought this software and only one feature I couldn't find how to switch language in built-in keyboard. My second language is russian. Can I do it?

I've tried shift+space and it is not working. I have Samsung Epic 4G

Thank you very much for that software
cyril Developer
This has been discussed in other places, but actually the problem is not that you cannot change the language (shift+space should work), but that the russian hard keyboard is not (yet) supported
This is something I will work on soon
aborisov
Yes, please, because I have a lots of friends and they need this support for Russian.

Thank you very much
cyril Developer
Ok, but can you tell me is your phone is a localized version for Russia? If yes can you show me a picture of the keyboard?
aborisov
I'm living in the United States, So, it is not localized. Phonetic keyboard will do just fine.
cyril Developer
Ok it's done! Can you check the beta and let me know if it works on your phone?
As it's the most generic solution, I implemented a phonetic layout, with double tap to access the extra letters:
ы -> ъ
е -> э
у -> ю
о -> ё
й -> ь
з -> ж
ш -> щ

By the way you need "Suggest on hard keys" option to have this working
aborisov
Where is that option you are talking about?

I've installed the beta but I couldn't make it work. How to switch languages?
aborisov
It is working.

I'm sorry, I've checked again everywhere and found why it wasn't working. I did not checked the option "Physical keyboard".

It is working. Thank you very much!
cyril Developer
Yes sorry, I have renamed the option yesterday as the previous name was confusing
Dolph
Hi, I've decided do not create different thread so I'll post here. Well, I'm a russian too so I use that language in Moto Milestone localized for russian market so I have russian letters in hard keyboard.
When I enable "physical keyboard" option I receiva a phonetic layout for hard keyboard with suggestions, when disable - hark keys are ok, but there is no word suggestions.
Is it a very complex to implement, i mean suggestions without changing the layout? Or in this case you should to implement russian layout for milestone keyboard which is strange in some keys - two letters on one key?

Thakns for answer!
cyril Developer
Well, it's just a pain to implement a different layout for the milestone, but it's possible. The tricky part is auto-detection of the phone model, but I guess I can just add (another) option to select the layout manually
Dolph
Well, Cyril, it's not an option I cannot live without :)
One option for moto, another for HTC, third for SE... I guess it's not a good way to improve your good product. Thanks.