Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

External English dictionary

cyril Developer
I just wanted to give some precisions about the external English dictionary, introduced in version 3.6.0 (instead of a built-in dictionary as in the previous versions).
As a reminder now you need to download "English for Smart Keyboard" app to make English suggestions and auto-correction work.

This was done for four reasons:
1) not everyone need the English dictionary, and it took more than half the size of the app
2) you can install it on the SD card (on Android 2.2: Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Downloaded > English for Smart Keyboard > Move to SD card), which gives more room on the internal storage
3) it makes the main app smaller, so updates can be downloaded faster, you use less network bandwidth, etc.
4) it helps collecting statistics about which languages are used most by SKP users

Of course this may sound less convenient for English-only-speaking people, but please don't be selfish, most Android users in the world don't need an English dictionary at all, and it takes only a few seconds of your time to install it if needed.

Thanks
GrimStranger
Out of curiosity, when moved to SD card, where is the dictionary file located?

I'm asking because I have a habit of backing up SD card content periodically for rainy days, but I haven't noticed the existence of the file on SD.
cyril Developer
The apps are stored in the hidden directory .android_secure on the SD card
Pyrazol
Sorry for digging up this thread, but I wanted to say that it is not possible to move the German Dictionary to the SD card (it IS possible with the English and Russian dictionaries, so I know I'm not doing anything wrong). I'm guessing it was simply forgotten to enable this for the German dictionary. Could that be enabled? -I'd really like to save the space. :)
cyril Developer
Yes, it was forgotten. I just changed it
prismdroid
It also doesnt work with Spanish. English worked fine.
cyril Developer
Right, I just fixed the spanish dictionary on the market, can you check?
samlauncher
Appreciated info, its good to know..
verdiani
Danish is also not movable to SD. Thanks
cyril Developer
verdiani wrote:Danish is also not movable to SD. Thanks
Really? Just check again and I'm sure it will be movable this time :)
yhwhsupports
Is it possible to add common Spanish words to the English dictionary? Like quesadilla, bueno, gracias, etc.