Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Alternative Finnish layout

printscreen
This is a longshot but here goes. Is it possible to make an alternative layout for Finnish keyboard without letter 'å'. I can't recall one instance in my life when I needed that letter. CTRL+F -> Å in my messenger chat logs for 2009-2010 brought up one result - it was a typo. Removing that button would make other buttons on the top row a bit larger without losing any functionality. Å could be available via long pressing A or O (or whatever, dont really care).

"The letter Å (small å) represents various sounds in the alphabets used for Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish (although no native Finnish words contain the letter å)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85
cyril Developer
Sure, it's not too late to put in 3.7.0 ;)
cyril Developer
Actually, I'm not sure it's a good idea to remove å and keep ä ö as is, it will create a shift between the two first rows
Isn't it possible to put the ä as alternative letter of ö (or the reverse)?
printscreen
That was actually the second part of the plan. After somewhat deep investigation I came to the conclusion that Ä and Ö are used in the proportion around 3:1. And would be very handy if Ö was available via long press of Ä. By removing Å and combining Ä and Ö the keyboard would be nicer to use. The beef in using some other keyboards, for example english international, is that Ä and Ö are available via long press and slide. Text prediction helps a lot but in some cases (search, url etc.) it's good to have Ä and Ö quickly available.

Well that's my ten cents, my two cents is free
cyril Developer
OK, I added this here, I think it's what you wanted
JOS
Just wanted to thank both of you for this new layout. It makes this awesome keyboard even better than it was for us Finnish users.