Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

A way to easier add new words

GoBBLeS
Atm. if I have a word that aren't in the suggestion box, i have to delete the word, turn off T9, write in the word and press the word in the suggestion box to save it.

What could be better would be if you could make a swipe to open a "new word"/"enter word" -dialogue where T9 is turned off and when done it would replace the currently selected word and save it in the dictionary.
Another way could be to have an always present "new word"/"enter word" in the suggestion box(should probably be in the end as to not clutter up the box) and when done it would replace the currently selected word and save it in the dictionary.

OK, if there is a fast way to enter words and I've somehow missed it, please tell me how(I know of the "swipe to user dictionary", turn off T9 to write word then turn it on again)
sublow
I too have joined the forum to look for the answer to this.

I like the sound of the far right of the suggestion box an always present "Spell"/"New Word"/"Enter Word". I think this should bring up the User Dictionary Add Word Box. Or maybe a long press on the T9 button (3 secs?) to do the same thing?

I don't know if it's just my phone or me but the swipe doesn't work that well for me.
sublow
Just found if you long press the miss spelled work in the text box above the suggestion box it brings up a menu with cut/paste/etc and add new word to dictionary is at the bottom.

Could this process be simplified in the ways suggested above?
GoBBLeS
"Just found if you long press the miss spelled work in the text box above the suggestion box it brings up a menu with cut/paste/etc and add new word to dictionary is at the bottom."

- I tried that but it just doesn't make sense, because when you press the button to spell it correctly, it doesn't turn off T9, doesn't revert back to T9 when done, and also quits your keyboard.
So the easiest way is actually to just delete the word, turn off T9, write word, press the word to add it, then turn on T9.
-Which is still cumbersome.

Btw. what does holding down the word till it says "word: saved" do differently than just pressing it fast? I haven't found any difference; It adds the word to the dictionary anyway.
cyril Developer
Btw. what does holding down the word till it says "word: saved" do differently than just pressing it fast? I haven't found any difference; It adds the word to the dictionary anyway
Really? No, it does that only if you have "learn new words" option on
GoBBLeS
cyril wrote:
Btw. what does holding down the word till it says "word: saved" do differently than just pressing it fast? I haven't found any difference; It adds the word to the dictionary anyway
Really? No, it does that only if you have "learn new words" option on
Oh, hadn't thought of that. Well then there's a small suggestion there: Just have the "word: saved" upon pressing the word and disable the "hold down to add word" function when "learn new words" is on :)

Hey I just realized something: The T9 button would be totally unnecessary if one of previous suggested ways to add new words was added.
If anything it could be used for the "add new word" dialogue!

If it was just removed though, it would free up a bit of space -I wouldn't mind a bigger backspace button for example :)