Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Smart Dictionary

ElAguila
How long does it take the smart dictionary to learn words. I have been using it for over a month now and I have never used the work age but it still defaults to that instead of she which I type use often. Or am I misunderstanding what the smart dictionary does?
cyril Developer
Hello
it is supposed to learn almost immediately. I guess you are using compact QWERTY? I just did some experiments and "she" is correctly suggested if it has been used more often than "age". If you are not talking about compact mode, then the dictionary is not supposed to correct "age" to "she" as "age" is a valid word (this could become an option, if that's what you expected)
JennBee
I'm having a similar issue since upgrading the OS on my X. The keyboard used to work flawlessly for me. Now as an example if I type "ok" it will try to correct to either I'm, OK or on with seemingly no rhyme or reason as to which word it will choose that day. Another example is "cuz" consistently wants to correct to Cuzco, a word I have never typed until this moment. Any suggtions? It is making typing harder, not easier.
cyril Developer
Upgrading your OS also means you lost your user dictionary (unless you did a backup of smart keyboard settings before).
"cuz" is not in the English dictionary, so there is no way it will be suggested (even with smart dictionary on) unless you added it in the user dictionary. A long time ago "smart dictionary" implied "learn new words" option, but they are now different options, so if you want unknown words to be added to the user dic automatically, you need to check this option too
dan55
hi Cyril,

i find this too - SK doesnt seem to guess correctly what im typing even though ive typed it before and corrected it etc - plus it often selects words that are even real rather than the correct one im typing :/
Ive got the learn option ticked etc

cheers
dan
cyril Developer
Well, I cannot give generic answers about smart dictionary issues, I need precise examples of which words you are typing, what you get and what is in your user dictionary.
dan55
hi
ok will try to monitor it.
there were some incorrect words in my
dictionary which can't have help so have deleted
them

cheers
dan
dan55
hi

it can be any word i think - or so it seems - just seems to not spell check them and hence accept ones that arent real words, althought the correct one is next to it in list

cheers
dan
cyril Developer
About the example you reported:
just typed 'yed' instead of yes and it wasn't
I tried and "yed" is corrected to "yes". However, you have to know that the way you press "d" is important: if you press on the left of the "d" key, the dictionary will assume you may have typed a "s" (and then autocorrect), but if you press on the right of the "d" key, it will rather assume you may have typed a "f", not a "s". That explains why you don't get autocorrection sometimes, but this has nothing to do with the smart dictionary, this has to do with the way proximity correction works
dan55
hi. ok. I think I get that. but doesn't it also figure that yed and yef aren't words and then
offer yes as most likely match? or am I assuming too much :-)

cheers
dan
NickC
Any further info on this? I have 3.13.0 and am having the same trouble with frequency of words. I have Smart Dictionary enabled, which is supposed to learn frequency of words. But for example, I type in the word "days" yet it keeps defaulting to "data" no matter how many times I do it.
mightymaus
On a related note, I keep mistyping ,"for" as "fir" - not sure how it works now but it would be great if it could somehow register that I consistently take the second suggestion of "for" and start giving that priority.
cyril Developer
NickC wrote:Any further info on this? I have 3.13.0 and am having the same trouble with frequency of words. I have Smart Dictionary enabled, which is supposed to learn frequency of words. But for example, I type in the word "days" yet it keeps defaulting to "data" no matter how many times I do it.
Well, "days" is in the English dictionary so I don't see how it could default to something else (with or without smart dictionary)
On a related note, I keep mistyping ,"for" as "fir" - not sure how it works now but it would be great if it could somehow register that I consistently take the second suggestion of "for" and start giving that priority.
Use a custom autotext to replace "fir" by "for", that's explained in the user's guide
mightymaus
Excellent, thanks cyril. I missed that that's one of the intentions for that feature, didn't think of it.
NickC
cyril wrote:Well, "days" is in the English dictionary so I don't see how it could default to something else (with or without smart dictionary)
Maybe I'm not understanding the role of Smart Dictionary. Yes, both "days" and "data" are in the English dictionary. But I thought the Smart Dictionary feature meant that if you choose "days" most of the time, then that's what the default suggestion would be. However, it seems like no matter how many times I choose "days" - "data" comes up as the default choice.
cyril Developer
The smart dictionary records word frequency to improve predictions, BUT if you type a word that is in the dictionary, it never suggests something else (it does this only if you mistype a word, or in compact / T9 mode), which would be very intrusive. Imagine you often need to type "for" AND "fir", would you like the dictionary to replace "fir" by "for" whereas you actually wanted to type "fir"?
NickC
To be honest, yes, I think that would be a useful feature. Not to *replace* one word with the other in the dictionary but change which word is the default choice (that gets selected if you just accept autocorrect).

Going back to my example, in the compact QWERTY, the keystrokes are the same for the words "data" and "days" - both words are in the dictionary however "data" is always the default. If a person wants to type "days" more often than "data" - they still get the choice to select "days" but it doesn't get selected by default - you have to remember to select the word in the list else it autocorrects to "data" (I realize we can turn off autocorrect but it is a great feature! :) )

If the default choice was changed based on frequency (what I interpreted as "Smart Dictionary"), then the way I thought would be nice is that as I select "days" more often than the default choice of "data" - then "days" would become the default. "Data" would still be in the dictionary; however, I would have to select that. If for whatever reason I start manually selecting "data" - then it would eventually revert back to being the default choice.

Not to beat this to death - this is still the best keyboard app I've used! :) Just wanted to clarify because I find this happens more than just between "data" and "days" - e.g., I type in the word "see" very often yet the default choice for that keystroke is always "are" etc.
cyril Developer
I didn't think you were talking about compact mode.
The smart dictionary is precisely more useful in compact (or T9) mode, and in your example, if you type "days" more often than "data", "days" will be the default suggestion. I just did a test with "days", and "see", and the smart dictionary works as expected. If you don't believe me, backup your settings, uninstall / reinstall the keyboard to reset the smart dictionary, and try again, you will see.
NickC
Oh, okay, that's great - I misunderstood and thought you were saying that it doesn't do that. Very glad to hear it's supposed to change the default suggestion in compact mode. I'll try your suggestion. Maybe I mistakenly accepted words like "data" so often before going back & correcting that internally it's logged more instances and thus keeps defaulting to that.

EDIT: There must have been some glitch in my install. After reading your response, I repeatedly forced the words "days" and "see" yet it kept defaulting to "data" and "are" no matter how many times I tried. I also played tried typing in other pairs to see if I could get SKP to switch based on frequency but it didn't work. So I took your advice - just backed up settings, uninstalled & reinstalled, and then restored settings. Happy to report it seems to be working now! :)