Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.
Small lag at times
fekish
Hello,
i have been using the keyboard for around 10 months on the Milestone, and its the first time i am going to ask this question:
At some point as i am writing , there is a small lag of 1-2 seconds and then suddenly all the letters that i pressed appear in the line i was writing...
Does anyone else have this lag?
Thanks
cyrilDeveloper
Probably due to the garbage collector running at that time. The only way to know is to log at the phone logs at the time you had a lag
Garbage collection is the mechanism used in the Java language to free unused memory in the app. Unfortunately it happens in the main thread of the application, which means the user interface of the app is freezed while the GC is running, which can take a long time on a slow phone (up to 1s)
fekish
Ok thanks,
from where can i get the log from my phone in order to post it here?
So on your phone, if you write pretty fast press space write pretty fast (just press letters with no meaning), it will not have a lag?
thanks again
cyrilDeveloper
You can use "Log Collector" app And no, there is no lag on my Nexus One, but there can be on my Hero
fekish
ok, so it might be fault of Milestone then
PROXIMO
This happens to everybody i think from time to time, but other thing that i notice is that when you press a letter like 10 or 20 times very vast, then u stop letters continue to pop up, because you enter them faster then they are written (but it remembers them). Can you make it to stop as soon as u stop, or this is android issue not SK pro.
zBliz
I'm using a Samsung Captivate and also noticed lag when I'm typing. This is a recent problem that started in 3.8.1 I believe. Before that it was smooth and responsive. I've tried other keyboards and no other ones have the same problem with lag. This seems to be a keyboard issue, not an android issue.
cyrilDeveloper
"lag" means a lot of different things for everyone... can you explain exactly the symptoms? No change in 3.8.1 is supposed to be the cause of lags of any kind, so I'd like to understand better. Also, please try to uninstall/reinstall the app to check if it's better
zBliz
Basically as I'm typing, there will either be a small delay when I press the space bar, or in the middle of typing a word. The keyboard is unresponsive for a second or two, then all the key presses during the lag will catch up and be entered. It only happened now and then, but it was often enough to become a problem. I've reinstalled and will see if that solves the problem. I sure hope it does since this keyboard is great.
zBliz
After a reinstall, there is still lag. I've tried to see if maybe something else like a program or settings is causing this, but the lag is still there.
anth.trinh
Im using the captivate and I have the same problem. Every three or four w ords my phone will freeze not for one or two seconds, but more like half a second to a full second. Then all the letters will come in screen rushed. I
goodie
Im using the captivate and I have the same problem. Every three or four w ords my phone will freeze not for one or two seconds, but more like half a second to a full second. Then all the letters will come in screen rushed
Have you tried turning off smart dictionary? I have similar lag, but it only happens when I use smart dictionary with learn new words option. I'm using samsung galaxy.
anth.trinh
Yeah, i just tried that. Didn't work. There is still a lag time, but not as much, maybe .2 seconds to .4 seconds.
anth.trinh
Just updated to the 3.1 Lag is even worst now, went from .5seconds to about 2 seconds. Really awful. I'm running samsung vibrant 2.1 I wish there was a refund app.
cyrilDeveloper
Two seconds?? That's just incredible. Can you tell me exactly in which situation it happens (ie: while you are typing, when you open the keyboard, etc.), install "Log Collector" app and send a log report by mail to smartkeyboardpro at gmail.com (and tell me what you were doing while the lag occurred)
Also, please try the following afterwards: - disable "smart dictionary" option if you have it - uninstall / reinstall the keyboard to reset the settings, and restart your phone
Please let me know the results, there is absolutely NO reason why the keyboard would have a 1-second lag, except if there is zero memory on your phone (in which case, this is a problem from other apps, not the keyboard)
anth.trinh
just sent the log, i was typing..the brown fox jumped...etc.....about every three or four words the keyboard froze.
PROXIMO
It happens to me also form time to time, but i thought it is because my phone is not so powerful (i use HTC Wildfire @528MHz).
anth.trinh
Just got the handcent update. The lag is back down to half second