Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Custom dictionary thoughts

jeffreyangelo
Hi all. So I'm enjoying the new Smartkeyboard that I downloaded yesterday (new user). I like the features and customization that you get with this app. However, I was wondering how or if this app could share the custom dictionary that's already on the phone? If it doesn't, I think that would be a great feature since I've already had my phone for a year and built up quite the custom dictionary. Maybe it's as simple as messing around with some text files in the root, but I'm not so versed.

The 2nd thought I had was adding an "add word" function like you can in the standard keyboard. I like the ability to add words to the custom dictionary on the fly as opposed to having to go to the custom dictionary menu within the settings. Sometimes the word I'm trying to type doesn't always show up. I should mention that I type with the T9 keyboard, so the random/custom words I type are rarely coming up.

Thanks!
cyril Developer
Hello
However, I was wondering how or if this app could share the custom dictionary that's already on the phone?
The phone user dictionary is already imported when you start the keyboard for the first time, however it assumes english locale at the moment. Other import methods are in the plan
The 2nd thought I had was adding an "add word" function like you can in the standard keyboard.
You can add words with long press in the prediction bar, but it's a bit useless for T9. Note that there is a swipe gesture action to show the user dictionary, but improvements for user dictionary edition in T9 mode have been proposed in another topic