Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Moving cursor back and forwards

fekish
Hello,
an annoying thing about on screen keyboard is that is difficult somtimes to point the cursor where you want it.

I think a solution can be this:
- Use the volume button to move cursor in front or backwards
or
- in the line were the suggestion boxes are, include one button on the left and one button on the right, that will always be there.

I would like if the second option comes in, and i dont care if it takes any space from the suggestion line!

I think this is something that should've been done on all keyboards!
cyril Developer
Yes, it's in the TODO list
However do you know you can define swipe gestures to move the cursor?
fekish
well yes, but doing continues swipe gestures to move the cursor is something i am not so font of :)
jonasz
Cool :)

+1 for using volume keys as arrow keys :) :)

Hope to see this feature soon :)

I've tried gestures keys but i don't work fine for me.
fekish
Unfortunately the developer seems that has stopped any work on this...
OldDogEyes
fekish wrote:Unfortunately the developer seems that has stopped any work on this...
How do you know that? Was it announced? The developer has always been responsive to my questions...
fekish
OldDogEyes wrote:
fekish wrote:Unfortunately the developer seems that has stopped any work on this...
How do you know that? Was it announced? The developer has always been responsive to my questions...
I don't know that, I am just assuming as what requested lately is not being implemented by cyril.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
cyril Developer
I promise this (cursor controled by volume keys) will be in the next release.

And no, development is not stopped at all! I just had to handle personal stuff far more important than keyboards and cursors ;)
jonasz
cyril wrote:I promise this (cursor controled by volume keys) will be in the next release.

And no, development is not stopped at all! I just had to handle personal stuff far more important than keyboards and cursors ;)
Good news! :-)
cyril Developer
And here is the latest beta version containing this feature! (new option called "cursor with volume")
jonasz
I've tried it! it's very cool :)

But, could you make the arrows direction reversed when phone is in left-side landscape display ;)
cyril Developer
Good remark, I just changed this. Hope the volume keys are always on the left side of the phone, otherwise yet another option will be needed....
jonasz
great :) where can I download this new beta? thanks
cyril Developer
It's the same link, I've only updated it
jonasz
I've tried it, but the arrows are now reversed also when phone is in right-side landscape :(
cyril Developer
Indeed... it's fixed in the updated beta. Note that this detection works only with Android 2.2 (but anyway right rotation is not supposed to work before Android 2.2)
jonasz
Well, in my Galaxy i5800 2.1 the right rotation is supported (the screen is always reversed in good side)
cyril Developer
Well, there is no method in Android 2.1 to detect rotation (only orientation), so I don't think there is any (reliable) way to implement what you are asking. It works well with Android 2.2 ;)
jonasz
Alright ;)
But I swear that my phone in 2.1 detect the left AND right orientation in landscape mode, screen is well rotated in these two directions (maybe this feature is also phone model dependent) ;)
Anyway Samsung will purpose soon an update to 2.2 :)

Thanks for everything
fekish
thanks cyril, that was a great feature that was missing!
Now i can say that this software is better that other keyboards!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
NubCake
Maybe a good way of moving cursor would be by tapping the side of the phone on the left or the right side (or top and bottom in landscape), i know this feature has the keyboard of LG Optimus 2x