Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Polish dictionary very very poor...

egreg
... and not sufficient for normaly using.
Error
i feel sorry about this, but i need to confirm what egreg just said, but unfortunately he never mentioned what is wrong, so i'll try to explain.

the most problematic part is that keyboard seems to require polish specific characters to detect suggestions, but not always. a nifty example is - say - łąka, i cannot start with la, because this word will never be found. it would give SKP a tremendous leap forward, if it was able to detect right words without the need to type language specific characters.

another problem is the set of words in vocabulary. i have searched the forum a little and i found the 80'000 words topic. funny thing is that there is a whole bunch of very common words missing, while some totally unknown are present (for example: czyżby ["is it perhaps"] is missing, while kotlinki is there; also, we use declination for most words, and it's simply not there).

i am curious, would it be possible to dump the aspell vocabulary database to build new dictionary for SKP? or at least could we just go through the 'dump' and select the words we find most often used and important so you could re-create the dictionary and update it?

thanks bunches,
tomasz
apator
I would like to second the above. The dictionary is very limited. It usually has the root word but not the variations of it that I need. (sorry I'm no language expert) What Tomasz said about needing Polish characters to recognize words is also correct. My Polish spelling is not the best and I wanted to rely on auto complete to help out. I just got back from Poland where I used an HTC Android phone and the Polish dictionary was superb. Maybe that can be looked at for an example.

Developers, please post back so we know if we can expect any updates or not.
cyril Developer
Hello
I will try to build an improved list from aspell + wikipedia, I know there is room for improvement for many dictionaries, such as Polish one
peterabelard
I second everything written here. I would love to love Smart Keyboard, but at this point it is useless for a Polish speaking person.

PLEASE, improve the dictionary and the character problem described above. Maybe there are some open source dictionaries you could implement?
I'd love to pay for this app, writing in English is flawless - but I can't until I can write in Polish...

Regards
tango650
I've just registered to give this thread a bump and +1. The detection of Polish words containing language specific symbols is very bad. It is not really fair to advertise that SK has Polish dictionary support when the dictionary doesn't work properly with probably half of it's words.