Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Add my custom words to the Italian dictionary pack

chtamina
I find the italian dictionary really poor, I woulnd't mind to "offer" my custom words (pretty common words) to that dictionary.
If I can understand how to edit a copy of my dictionary I may remove personal words from the file then send it to you.
asterisk
That's true, italian dictionary is very limited. In italian we have a lot of variations of the same word, something like "primo" (first in english) is declined to "primi" for male plural, "prime" for female plural, "prima" for female singular.
There are a lot of words in the SKP italian dictionary that has only one declination, and if you try to write a plural of the same worl (where only one character is different) you have to rewrite the full word by hand.

A good feature should be: you write the word and the dictionary predicts the word. If the word changes by one character, the first part remains the predicted word, and you can simply add by hand the character that changes.

Here's an example:

if you want to write the word "credenziale" (credential in english) you see the dictionary that writes "credenzial" correctly but when you enter the last character "e" to complete the word, SKP sorts out "Apdddmwgajd". SKP infact has the word "credenziali" not "credenziale" in the dictionary, so when you write "credenziale" SPK says that the word isn't in the dictionary. But that's really annoying because italian language is plenty of this variations.

Instead SPK should react like this: you write "credenzial" and that's fine. When you add the e, SKP leaves "credenzial" and add the T9 correspondant first letter "d" and let you chose if you want the "d" or "e" or "f" in the suggestion bar.

So the sequence is:
1) type "credenzial" -> SKP returns "credenzial"
2) type "e" -> SKP doesn't have the word in the dictionary so it returns the correspondant first letter of the T9 button, in this case is the button 3, correspondant to "d" "e" and "f"
3) SPK suggest 3 letters in the suggestion bar: "d" "e" "f"
4) user choose "e" -> SKP replace "d" with "e"
5) the final word is now "credenziale"
Travis90
Thanks asterisk! That's a good idea!
Maybe this can be solved adding the "compound words" for italian language too, as the German language!
Also for words like: porta ombrello-> portaombrello etc :D

I'd be willing also to donate 10€ to the developer :P but I would be satisfied our demands! =D
I have already bought the version Pro ;)

Please help us! This is the best keyboard for T9, and I think that with these improvements this keyboard could be the best... the only one keyboard for all Italians! ;)
chtamina
totally agree here.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril Developer
Travis90 wrote:Maybe this can be solved adding the "compound words" for italian language too, as the German language!
Actually you can (and probably should?) use the "compound words" option with Italian too, it's not limited to German.
chtamina
I don't believe that compound words option added to the italian would solve the problem

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril Developer
But have you tried it? ;) At least it would enable to type "credenzial-e" in T9.
But I agree the dictionary should contain all word flexions, I would be happy to improve it if I get some help (to find a good word frequency list with all word forms)
chtamina
I'd be happy to beta test compound words for i italian, but as you just stated I don't think it would solve the problem.
in my opinion there should be a way to respell words, like this:

if the keyboard dictionary has got the word
"mangiare"
and you need un write the word
"mangiarci"
you should be able to write "mangiare" erase the "e" and add the "ci"
that would REALLY decrease the time needed to add the word.
right now if I want to add the word "mangiarci" this is the workflow
I try to write "mangiarci" and I get "mamggapag" so I erase COMPLETELY the word and then type it again, one letter at time.
this is uncomfortable

thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Travis90
chtamina wrote:if the keyboard dictionary has got the word
"mangiare"
and you need un write the word
"mangiarci"
you should be able to write "mangiare" erase the "e" and add the "ci"
that would REALLY decrease the time needed to add the word.

right now if I want to add the word "mangiarci" this is the workflow
I try to write "mangiarci" and I get "mamggapag" so I erase COMPLETELY the word and then type it again, one letter at time.
this is uncomfortable
So we would like to write a new word with t9 (changing a pre-existent word) ad then add it to dictionary without re-write it without T9 (and then holding on the word in the predicted bar)!
If you want/need, we can explain better! :D