Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Managing the Apostrophe

chtamina
Smart Keyboard Pro can't understand when I'm using the apostrophe to "split" the article from the word.
Example: "la anima" get "l'anima" (it means "the soul" in italian) with SKP I have two options:

- adding the word "l'anima" to the dictionary.
this means that for each different word I have to add the same word with the article+apostrophe in the dictionary. like "anima" "l'anima" "dell'anima" "sull'anima"

- using " l' " then SPACE then writing the word "anima" so I get "l' anima" (I HAVE to add that annoying space because otherwise SKP thinks that "l'anima" it's a new word.
so when I write I get a lot of "l' anima" "dell' anima" "sull' anima" while I should write "l'anima" "dell'anima" "sull'anima".

now my proposal is: teaching SKP that the word after the apostrophe should be considered as a new word, even if there's no space that separate the word from the article.

Swype does it so I don't think it's hard to implement.

Thanks and please let me know what you think about it

nicola
SaKeygo
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking to do. My guess is that you want ' to work like * as far as predictions go?

Try typing L*anima

There's an option under Text Predictions that you might be able to use. If you look under text prediction settings for "compound suggestions - enable suggestions of compound words (used mostly for German)" this should allow you to do what you are describing a little more easily. The easiest way to do it after enabling "compound suggestions", would be to first type l' - select it from the suggestion bar, then backspace one space to put the cursor next to the l' - then type anima. Anima or any other words should show up in the suggestion bar as usual words.

Note: You will have to select l' from the suggestion bar instead of selecting it by pressing the space bar. Otherwise when you backspace the word highlights again.

Hope this helps.
chtamina
this works but adds a lot of taps to the workflow, I'm asking for something like this (not sure though)
MikaelG wrote:But now in this version, the user dictionary words with "-" are now recognize so if I write «peutetre» (French) it will be «peut-être» VERY GOOD (It wasn't like this in the previous version)
.

it should split words after the apostrophe
"l'" + "anima" two different words not as one word "l'anima" and it should REMOVE the space after the apostrophe (like it alread does after the comma).

So cyril is it possible to remove the autospace after the apostrophe ? thanks
alcarin
chtamina wrote: it should split words after the apostrophe
that's the point!
if we choose the apostrophe, simply stop the word recognition and begin another word after that... this should help.
chtamina
is the dev here?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Travis90
chtamina wrote:So cyril is it possible to remove the autospace after the apostrophe ? thanks
Please cyril!!! Help us! Add remove the autospace after the apostrophe!!! It's annoying write...
L
'
then select...
l'
...from prediction bar,
press backspace
and write another word!! :'(
asterisk
I'm also for this, that's really annoying to add each time a new word with attached l' to the dictionary or to write l' than accept from the suggestion bar and then write the word
chtamina
i totally agree with you guys, I'd even donate to get it fixed.
cyril Developer
OK I will add an option to consider apostrophe as a word separator. Thanks for your patience :)
chtamina
cool,thanks!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
asterisk
Great Cyril! Thank you for your work :)
cyril Developer
New option "Apostrophe separator" added in Text prediction settings in the latest beta. Can you try?
chtamina
cool! it is working! i'll test it for few hours and let you know if there's something wrong with this latest beta

EDIT: yes it's working properly.
thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
alcarin
hello Cyril! i'll try your beta, too, thank you!
Travis90
cyril wrote:OK I will add an option to consider apostrophe as a word separator. Thanks for your patience :)
Yes, but now is hard to write > d' <
I must press > d < (number 3), select >d< from prediction bar (because the first predicted word is > e <, and > e < should be ever the first word ;) )
delete the automatic generated space, and finally put the apostrophe,

Because if I press > d < and then > ' <, SKP write > e' < and the autotext e' -> d' doesn't work!

And....If I press 3 times > ' <
so... > ' ' ' <
without the "apostrophe separator", I use the autotext ' ' ' -> ! ! ! or the autotext ' ' ' ' -> ♥♦♣♠ (a ploy to have special characters ;) pasted in dictionary from ad text editor :P )
But now with the new function, the apostrophe "breaks" the prediction!

Maybe it can be solved considering the apostrophe not as a word separator, but simply avoid the "space after insert" only after the apostrophe!

Or switching the apostrophe of the button 1, with the button > full stop<
External image (img26.imageshack.us)
(PS: How can I have the same layout of this picture? I think is better for Italian users, because we use more the > ! < than > - <,
we don't use the > - < for separated word like English users... )

In fact normal/old T9 keyboard use the button 1 for full stop, comma, etc....
cyril wrote: Apostrophe Separator
consider apostrophe as a word separator (useful for Italian for instance)
I think it will be useful also for other languages! ;) All the languages that use apostrophe! :P
cyril wrote: @From the Topic >Add my custom words to the Italian dictionary pack<

But I agree the dictionary should contain all word flexions, I would be happy to improve it if I get some help (to find a good word frequency list with all word forms)
I will try to help you!! Also making a donation to the developer, if it will be useful!! ;)
How I can do it?
woopypants
hi,
has this option been added yet? and if so, how do i access it in the options?
thanks!