Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Auto-correct problems....

greycobalt
So this keyboard is amazing. It makes everything I thought was annoying me about the standard keyboard perfect again. Except the auto correct.

At first I thought it was because I didn't install the English keyboard, but once I did, it still doesn't work. It won't correct any common words or mistakes associated with them. "teh" will not turn into "the", "hepl" will not be "help", etc. Any idea why this might be? I'd really like to get it working, as that feature would complete the awesomeness of the app.

I'm using a Droid X running 2.3.340.
dan55
hi
had this once before and it turned out to be a bad
install. fixed it by re installing.

good luck
Dan
greycobalt
Thanks for your response! I just tried uninstalling the software and the dictionary and reinstalling and its still a no-go. :( Any other ideas?
dan55
sorry to hear that. try it with the learn new words
option turned off it it is on currently.
greycobalt
Turned that off too, no dice. :( This makes me sad. I love this keyboard.
dan55
bummer :-( can only think it is a Droid/SKP issue
greycobalt
Major bummer! :( I mistype FAR too frequently to not have that issue. It's super easy to fat-finger the keyboard. Any recommendation on another app like this I can try out? Maybe see if another works.
cyril Developer
greycobalt wrote:At first I thought it was because I didn't install the English keyboard, but once I did, it still doesn't work. It won't correct any common words or mistakes associated with them. "teh" will not turn into "the", "hepl" will not be "help", etc. Any idea why this might be? I'd really like to get it working, as that feature would complete the awesomeness of the app.
Do you have other examples? For me "teh" is always corrected to "the" (and it has to, because there is a builtin autotext to replace teh by the), but that's true "hepl" is not replaced by "help"... You told about "fat-fingering" the keyboard, which is normally well handled, but the examples you gave are letter permutations, which is something different and harder to correct. Have you tried to increase the height of the keys, and have you used the calibration tool?
onthecouch
Also, custom auto-corrections is by far the most valuable feature SKP has over other keyboards. Put it to use and actively add to it. For example, if you find you are constantly typing help as hepl, make a custom auto correction for hepl = help. That way, anytime you type hepl, it'll always get changed to help.

Unless you mean the auto corrections themselves aren't working altogether.

Custom Auto Corrections is the feature saving me from what seems to be slowdown with Gingerbread, and thus a lot of typos.
graffixnyc
Here is an example... yes it will change teh to the but sometimes you hit a letter next to one you are trying to hit. Example wikk should convert to will.. wheb should change to when.. it works like this in the better keyboard.. I keep going beteen (in bkb this would have been changed to between)the two because I like the auto text of skb but the auto correct of better keyboard.. imo better keyboard has better error correcting... it sucks to have to create auto text for common errors like that.. if either )KB gets auto text or is skb gets better error correction I would have the perfect keyboard
cyril Developer
graffixnyc wrote:Here is an example... yes it will change teh to the but sometimes you hit a letter next to one you are trying to hit. Example wikk should convert to will.. wheb should change to when..
I don't understand why you have such problems, as is "wikk" is corrected to "will", and "wheb" is corrected to "when" with Smart Keyboard (I tried in both portrait and landscape). Again, have you changed the key height and/or used the calibration tool? Both SKP and BK use the same algorithm as in Android stock keyboard for proximity correction, so if you see differences it would only come from minor differences in the implementation, which would be easy to improve.
graffixnyc
so it should correct wikk to will and common mistakes like that?.. I wonder why its not working for me. I did change the height of the keys and I have rab calabration. maybe I should uninstall it and then reinstall and see if that changes it. I'll report back
graffixnyc
OK, uninstalling and reinstalling worked. I wonder what happened.. hmm good thing I didn't have hundreds of autotext words set up so I don't mind really setting up the few I have. I really do love your keyboard. I'm coming from being a BB user who never thought he could do without a physical keyboard until I tried this one.