Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Croatian layout order

Vlasac
Hallo,
in Croatian, Serbian and Bosnian layout (all are actually same), over letter Z is written number 6, but on long press first choice is letter Ž, and on all other accented characters (S-Š, D-Đ, C-ĆČ) first choice is character actually written (# $ ' ) on keyboard. This is not consistent and leads to errors, specially when writing only numbers, since all other numbers are first (and only) choice. Could you please make number 6 first choice?

Also, could you reverse order to be ČĆ, since in Croatian (and other) alphabet sequence is C, Č, Ć?

And if you really wont, you can place all those characters as normal keys (no long press), because there is enough space. Second row have only 9 keys, there is comma key left of space key which can be reused since comma exists also over dot. And space could easily be shrinked to size of 1,5 (I don't see point of oversized spacebar on mobile device) which gives space for another 3 keys giving total of 5 keys.

Also, I have enabled touch points and have noticed sometimes letter displayed is not letter touched. Touch points proves it is not calibration error.
bondza
Hello Vlasac. Regarding your preference to have number 6 on long press of letter Z, I think that this is not matter of consistency but rather matter of usability. I personaly perfer to have letter Ž as first choice on long press of letter Z, because the basic keyboard layout is a alpha layout. Numbers are secondary.
To be honest, i would like to see all of our specific letters (ŠĐČĆŽ) visible on basic keyboard layout. Waiting for long press popup to open, when you typing in your native language, in which you frequently use ŠĐČĆŽ, is biiiig waisting of time.
cyril Developer
This is not specific to Croatian, but to all languages which have special letters or accents (i.e almost all languages except English...). I think it becomes a problem only when you don't use a dictionary (which would allow you to type D instead of Đ for instance), so help to create a dictionary for these languages is also welcome ;)
Vlasac
@bondza
What you asked is my second suggestion, but I am aware it requires more effort.
I set very short long-press time, so there is no much waiting.

@cyril
Well, I don't use dictionary, and Croatian is not well suited for that since almost every word have many grammatic variants.
What I am asking is just consistence for number 6 with other numbers. From German ß debate I can see you like consistence. ;)
cyril Developer
Vlasac wrote:What I am asking is just consistence for number 6 with other numbers. From German ß debate I can see you like consistence. ;)
Oh yes I didn't see this was the original request. Of course I will change it
Mandark
Actually, I remember the discussion we'd had on the bugtracker (haven been here in a while, sad to see it go :( ) about. You said You'd change it (the middle row in compact qwertz's 3 is showing Ž instead of 3 by default), but I didn't wanna bump/nag... :P


My proposal, btw, was always using the symbol written on the key as default. I understand that not everyone would prefer this, so, perhaps give us the option of choosing priority?
cyril Developer
the middle row in compact qwertz's 3 is showing Ž instead of 3 by default
I overlooked this one, indeed it should be "3"
I understand that not everyone would prefer this, so, perhaps give us the option of choosing priority?
This is a lot of work, but I will do it as many people ask for it
Mandark
Well, I mentioned the possibility of this earlyer, but we've never really had a proper discusison on the topic, so, here it goes:

How do you feel about completely customizable layouts?

Either in-GUI, or via xml or somesuch, allowing the users to completely choose the buttons present and their locations might be a lot of work at first, but it also might save a lot of time in the long run.
Instead of dealing with user requests on a case-by-case basis, You'd allow them to do all the work themselves. The old "teach a man how to fish" bit. :)

Do you feel it might be worth me srating a thread here?
NubCake
Since i'm from Slovenia and i read this i think you could change something by Slovenian keyboard too :P

First thing, i dont know why is Z the only letter that has reversed letter, meaning, if you wanna type Ž, you have to hold and pull your finger backwards and on all other letters you do it forward :D

Second, on the "S" key, there is "#" and "Š", i think it should be reversed, so we can access the Š letter quicker and i dont think i ever used that # since i have the keyboard, so i think first choice should be Š, samo goes for "C", it has ' Č Ć on it, i think it should be -> " Č Ć ' ", i dont think i ever used that ' eather, since we in Slovenia dont use it and as you can see i didnt use it here (speaking english) eather xD
Vlasac
NubCake wrote: First thing, i dont know why is Z the only letter that has reversed letter, meaning, if you wanna type Ž, you have to hold and pull your finger backwards and on all other letters you do it forward
Yes, Ciril can you reverse order of Ž and 6 please?
TNX for other changes.
cyril Developer
No I won't ;)

Check my previous message, you just have to enable the "accents priority" option for that
Vlasac
I am not sure you understand what we are saying. You made possible to choose which set of characters is default (special or accented), and that works fine. But letter Ž is still left of number 6, while all other accented letters are on right side of special characters. So for every other accented letter after long press you have to slide to the right, and only for Ž you have to slide to the left. It is a bit confusing. If I switch to accented characters as default (which I don't want) then again only for number 6 I have to slide to the left, and for all other special characters to the right. It is just that whatever character is alternative above Z it is to the left, contrary to all other cases.
Mandark
Also another thing I've nagged about earlyer :P

You only notice it becouse "ž" is the only one "on the right", but, in general, I believe they aren't sorted "to the left" or "to the right" but, rather, "towards the middle of the screen"

I'd also prefer a straight "always swype to the right", but I'm nit sure Cyril is going to budge on this :(