Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

[REQ]Ice Cream SandWich Keyboard?

4tonmantis
thatd be great if someone could make it, ive been searching for a skin of this non stop since the ics demo lol. ill be checking back here alot to see if someone posts a zip of it :D
c00ller
I do not have enough knowledge to make the actual skin, but for those that do, I found where you can find all of the original Ice Cream Sandwich keyboard button/key .9.png files! They are in the zip contained in this post
http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/gala ... icons.html
And here is the Roboto font:
http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/gala ... fonts.html

Edit: looking through the images above, I actually can't seem to find the necessary Shift (up arrow) icon, delete, or enter icons... so I am actually not sure anymore =/

Edit2: some more keyboard files can be found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1310925
And I believe I found the symbol keys (return, shift, space, etc) here (in /system/app/LatinIME.apk they end with _holo.png):
http://evervolv.turnertechrepair.info/C ... m-Dump.zip
meyergre

ICS.zip 58.7 KB · downloaded 5,441 times

If someone could post a screenshot... I can't do it myself currently ;)
EDIT : just forgot DDMS... here is the screen ;-)
screenshot.png
screenshot.png
Cheers,
Greg
c00ller
meyergre wrote: If someone could post a screenshot... I can't do it myself currently ;)
EDIT : just forgot DDMS... here is the screen ;-)
Cheers,
Greg
Great work! Here's a screenshot

External image (i.imgur.com)

Just a few comments:
-The symbol key (shift, backspace, return) images look a bit blurry... I found a skin of the stock Android keyboard here, perhaps you could ask the OP for permission to use the images (even though I doubt he created them on his own)?
-Also note the key pressed color seen in the thread above, the ICS blue is darker than cyan
-Suggestion bar: It was unbelievably difficult to find screenshots or video footage of people actually using the keyboard on the Nexus S or ICS SDK ports. Here is one video I saw (skip to 1:40). Note the colors of the word suggestions are not white. Actually I am not so sure based on this SDK port footage (skip to 8:40). So, it may be correct as is, just not used to seeing it coming from the GB keyboard.
-The color of the suggested word is a bit light I think, from an ICS theme thread the color I saw being passed around was ff34b4e3
meyergre
c00ller wrote: Great work! Here's a screenshot

External image (i.imgur.com)

Just a few comments:
-The symbol key (shift, backspace, return) images look a bit blurry... I found a skin of the stock Android keyboard here, perhaps you could ask the OP for permission to use the images (even though I doubt he created them on his own)?
-Suggestion bar: It was unbelievably difficult to find screenshots or video footage of people actually using the keyboard on the Nexus S or ICS SDK ports. Here is one video I saw (skip to 1:40). Note the colors of the word suggestions are not white. Actually I am not so sure based on this SDK port footage (skip to 8:40). So, it may be correct as is, just not used to seeing it coming from the GB keyboard.
-The color of the suggested word is a bit light I think, from an ICS theme thread the color I saw being passed around was ff34b4e3
Hehe I didn't even had a look at the real one, to be honest ;-)

regarding blurry pictures, I still have the vectorial shapes I draw, so it's easy to correct (I always draw all these stuff by myself, so I can modify them my way, there is no copyright issue or authorization required). The thing is that I wanted a picture which could fit all screen sizes, so I saved it with only 24px width. I updated the .ZIP with an HDPI folder inside, maybe it will look better on your device ? please let me know ;-)
concerning the suggestion bar, to be honest, if it's not white (according to the video), it might be light gray, or maybe light blue... I can change it, that's not a problem, but I can't know what is the actual color... :-( I'll update my SDK, and then try it in a virtual device.

Attachments

ICS.zip 68.7 KB · downloaded 3,633 times

c00ller
Wow! Thanks for the fast reply. The symbol images are definitely more clear now. The return key looks just right, but the shift and backspace keys look too large.
Regarding the size of these in addition to the colors of just the suggested word and the pressed keys, this looks like a good resource
meyergre
c00ller wrote:Wow! Thanks for the fast reply. The symbol images are definitely more clear now. The return key looks just right, but the shift and backspace keys look too large.
Regarding the size of these in addition to the colors of just the suggested word and the pressed keys, this looks like a good resource
This source is not valid for me, since they say it's a mod of the Gingerbread keyboard. (But I really appreciate all the work these guys do ;-)). So I just updated my SDK, took a screenshot, and corrected everything I could on my skin.

It should look very similar to the original one now ;-)

PS : I corrected the pictures size too, let me know if it's better ;-)

Attachments

ICS-SDK.zip 68.4 KB · downloaded 3,204 times

screenfromsimulator.png
screenfromsimulator.png
c00ller
I'm excited to try it out, but I think you forgot to provide a link to the zip ;)

edit: ooops my mistake, i see it now :oops:
meyergre
c00ller wrote:I'm excited to try it out, but I think you forgot to provide a link to the zip ;)
have a look on top of the picture ;-)
c00ller
Pressed keys look good, and the shift key symbol looks like the right size now :) . My delete symbol still looks disproportionately large compared to your screenshot, though. Also, this is very minor but could you verify if the shift lock color is supposed to be green and not blue?
meyergre
Yes, I'm sure : the shift color is green in the SDK, and not blue...
It was already the case under Honeycomb, but I never updated my skin to a green version. I just didn't like it ;-)

Anyway, in the attached one, I reduced the backspace, and I added both green and blue pictures (you just need to open the zip, and you can choose your pictures)

PS : My screenshot is taken from the ICS SDK, not from my phone ;-)

Attachments

ICS-SDK.zip 71.7 KB · downloaded 1,024 times

Gnaver
Hi, can you make this for mdpi? I tried the skin you attached and the buttons are very very thick so you can't barely hit them IT'S really ugly and unusable... Thanks
4tonmantis
just when i got excited to try it out i find out its hdpi lol all the buttons are super small on my phone and the background is 3 different colors like a black, brownish black, and dark gray(grey?)..anyways an mdpi version would be great if you would do that :D
meyergre
4tonmantis wrote:just when i got excited to try it out i find out its hdpi lol all the buttons are super small on my phone and the background is 3 different colors like a black, brownish black, and dark gray(grey?)..anyways an mdpi version would be great if you would do that :D
it is already mdpi... check out the content of the zip from your computer.
what is your phone model ? maybe it doesn't allow many colors on its screen ?
meyergre
new update
here is the skin :

ICS-SDK.zip 71.7 KB · downloaded 1,526 times

and here are the PSD source files :

Ice Cream Sandwich.zip 13.9 KB · downloaded 979 times

(note : for ldpi/mdpi, set the symbols width to ~24px)
Gnaver
where I can set symbols width ? I found only height...
meyergre
Gnaver wrote:where I can set symbols width ? I found only height...
using photoshop, for edition of the PSDs.
4tonmantis
meyergre wrote: it is already mdpi... check out the content of the zip from your computer.
what is your phone model ? maybe it doesn't allow many colors on its screen ?
i have 2 at the moment an optimus v(currently using) and a samsung continuum(i forgot how to spell it), both of which have really small keys and a choppy background. oddly enough a few of the hdpi skins on here show up really well on my ov, so i figured if this was hdpi it would come out fine, i swear i saw hdpi on here somewhere lol but since its actually mdpi i dont know whats wrong :(
meyergre
4tonmantis wrote:
meyergre wrote: it is already mdpi... check out the content of the zip from your computer.
what is your phone model ? maybe it doesn't allow many colors on its screen ?
i have 2 at the moment an optimus v(currently using) and a samsung continuum(i forgot how to spell it), both of which have really small keys and a choppy background. oddly enough a few of the hdpi skins on here show up really well on my ov, so i figured if this was hdpi it would come out fine, i swear i saw hdpi on here somewhere lol but since its actually mdpi i dont know whats wrong :(
Well, the skin has both mdpi and hdpi pictures inside the .ZIP, and it's the android system on your phone whe decides which one to use.

you can force mdpi, if you remove the drawable-hdpi folder from the zip. Anyway, a screenshot would be helpful for me ;-)
Gnaver
meyerge pls can you make mdpi with bigger buttons for me? im noob with photoshop...ill be really grateful :)
meyergre
the 9-patch pictures are extensibles, you should have the same thing that i had on my first screenshot.
bigger buttons would look identical... but maybe you meaned the gap between the keys being too big?
Gnaver
Well the gap between them is about one more button so there buttons themselves looks thick as stick into ear... If you can guide me how to make screenshot without root ill post it. Sorry for being noobish :-D
meyergre
Gnaver wrote:Well the gap between them is about one more button so there buttons themselves looks thick as stick into ear... If you can guide me how to make screenshot without root ill post it. Sorry for being noobish :-D
try installing the sdk from developer.android.com, install the drivers for your phone, and then launch the ddms program from the sdk directory. here, you will be able to capture some screenshots without root (that's what i do with my nexus one)

i can reduce the gap without a screenshot, but it can take much more time.
schrochem
Another nice skin Greg. What is the color code for the candidate? I changed mine long ago and it looks like it stays the same even with new skins.
meyergre
Thanks ;-)

the candidate is #FF6bdeff (or #6bdeff without the transparency indicator)
4tonmantis
sorry for not giving a screenshot of my small key issue recently, ive been busy this last week and im also a total noob at this kinda stuff. soooo, what would be the best way to go about getting a shot of the keyboard on my phone without rooting? ive been to the developer.android.com site and i have no idea what to look for on it, if someone could point me in the right direction thatd be great cuz i would love to use this skin! :mrgreen:
Gnaver
So here's the screenshot of your skin on mdpi device. Very thick buttons

Attachments

SC20111105-123351.png
SC20111105-123351.png
meyergre
Gnaver wrote:So here's the screenshot of your skin on mdpi device. Very thick buttons
Ok, I found the problem : I used twice the same bitmaps, so HDPI and MDPI were identical... :oops:
this ZIP should solve this issue ;)

ICS-SDK.zip 71.3 KB · downloaded 2,190 times

PS : sorry for the delay, I had to reinstall my computer and I was unable to access this website for a couple of days (not from my phone, nor my tablet, nor any PC at home, strange...)...