Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.
multi touch sometimes doesn't work
jarhead271
I have noticed that the multi touch functionality does not always work with this keyboard. I have found that if I hit two keys with a certain timing only the second key registers. It doesn't happen all the time; the timing needs to be fairly precise, but it happens enough to be annoying. I find it often happens when typing the word 'going', which often comes up 'goig' because I hit the 'n' and 'g' keys just right to trigger the issue. Also, it happens a lot with words that contain 'ch', where only the 'h' registers. I know the keyboard recognizes both key strokes because the pop-up letters are showing correctly. When I'm trying, I can make the problem occur at least 80% of the time.
I know a video would be the most ideal way to demonstrate the problem, but I don't have the capability to provide that right now.
I'm on moto Droid 2.1
Anyone else noticing this?
avatar5d
Yeah... http://smartkeyboardpro.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=3&t=33. There are no plans to fix it, from what I can tell -- I reported this over two months ago. It's bad enough for me that I've stopped using Smart Keyboard Pro all together. Shame.
cyrilDeveloper
Shame on Google :p I have still not received my Nexus One, which I need to work on this topic. It will probably need a deep rewriting of the keyboard, but if enough people complain about it, I can do something
avatar5d
Would it be possible to add an option to disable multitouch in phones that support it? That would probably, at least in the short term, address my problem and allow me to start using SKP again.
akdms
I was actually stopping by with the same issue, though I'm using a custom rom (Sprint Hero, Fresh 2.0d) at the moment so I was giving it the benefit of the doubt.
Multitouch works great on the stock HTC keyboard, but not at all (or very rarely) on SKB. I just timed myself, and I can accurately type about 20 wpm faster on the stock keyboard as a result (SKB for me caps at around 30-40 wpm -- after that it just can't keep up, or I start running into issues from not having multitouch).
After a few months of SKB I guess I'm going back to stock.
cyrilDeveloper
Guys, the multitouch doesn't work great on the stock keyboard. If you hold a key with one finger, and try to type with another finger, it will not work at all. That's where android fails compared to the iPhone (and where smart keyboard brings improvement). So I just cannot fallback to the weak multitouch algorithm used by the stock keyboard, or it would have to be optional (but I think I already explained that ). But once again I will work on it once I get my N1, it may just need a minor adjustment to the algorithm
akdms
It would be awesome if you got SKB working like the iPhone keyboard, but for now at least the stock allows you to press one key, press a second, release the first, release the second, and will record both. For example, when I type the word "the" I usually end up hitting the h and e at almost exactly the same time. With SKB I end up with "te", while with HTC I end up with "the". And honestly, I can't really think of too many times when I would need to hold one key, start typing other keys, and then release the first key, like you can with the iPhone. Besides, I can type MUCH faster on my Hero than I could on my iPhone, or even Blackberry.
I look forward to seeing what you do with it once you get the Nexus.
avatar5d
Guys, the multitouch doesn't work great on the stock keyboard. If you hold a key with one finger, and try to type with another finger, it will not work at all.
Right. I'm asking for an option in the settings Activity that allows users to opt-out of multitouch on devices that support it, so I can use non-multitouch on my Nexus One.
cyrilDeveloper
Well, if that's what you want, it's easy Anyway I could add an option to use the stock multitouch algorithm, but it's a bit more work
avatar5d
I think either (or even both) options would be fine. I really like the speed and configuration options of the keyboard, but with the multitouch glitches every 3rd or 4th word or so it's just unusable on the Nexus One. I think being able to disable this functionality would allow me use SKP again.
cyrilDeveloper
Out of curiosity, do you have issues with multitouch with the stock keyboard too? Or is it even better to have no multitouch at all (I can't see why it would be better, so it's interesting to know)
avatar5d
Nope, I have absolutely no glitches with the stock keyboard. I've also used Swype and the HTC IME and have never had any problems with those either.
I'd prefer to use SKP because it's the fastest and has the most features.
nick.koutrelakos
This same issue is present on the HTC Incredible (which doesn't surprise me, considering it has a similar screen to the Nexus One). Please fix it, if you can, cyril. I love SKP...
goldee
Same issue here on an htc incredible.
atmu
I just posted a new topic with the same problem under the title "keyboard lag, cannot type fast." I'm having the same issue on Htc incredible. I've switched to ShapeWriter for now because of it. The stock Htc keyboard does not have this issue but it sucks for other reasons.
If this issue gets fixed SKB will be back to default
cyrilDeveloper
So, now that Google finally sent me that Nexus One, I can clearly see the problem. I am working on a fix
cyrilDeveloper
Ok, so the reason is clear. If you type for instance "hahahaha" very fast with two fingers, android may tell the keyboard that you start to press on "h", and release your finger on "a" (i.e. it doesn't even see that there are two fingers involved), so it only displays "h", as if you moved one finger quickly from h to a. I will try to work on this, but as far as I can see the android keyboard doesn't behave better at all in this situation
nick.koutrelakos
On my Motorola Droid, SKP works flawlessly. On my HTC Incredible, it has this problem... clearly there can be a fix..?
cyrilDeveloper
There is a workaround to this touchscreen bug in the Froyo stock keyboard. I am not 100% happy with Google's implementation of the workaround, but I will try to integrate something similar as soon as possible (it requires a bit of testing)
WillJitsu
Multitouch is not working at all for me on the EVO 4G. Is this a known issue on this phone as well?
cyrilDeveloper
I suspect that it is the same problem as the HTC Desire, and you need to restart your phone after installation right?
WillJitsu
cyril wrote:I suspect that it is the same problem as the HTC Desire, and you need to restart your phone after installation right?
I don't recall if I had to restart or not right after the installation. I think I have about 8 keyboards installed so it's hard to remember the various issues with each one.
nick.koutrelakos
cyril, i just upgraded my Incredible to Froyo and the lag/shaky responsiveness has gone away.
frader
Is this likely to get fixed? I love everything about SKP but the lack of multitouch support on the incredible is super annoying. They figured it out on the stock HTC keyboard...
cyrilDeveloper
it's on the way
cyrilDeveloper
So the workaround (same as froyo keyboard) is here, in v2.8.0. Now you can type "hahahahaha"
aamzalag
Hey Cyril, I know that the last update was supposd to make a fix for multi touch, but after using it for the last 20 minutes, it has completely killed any semblance of multitouch that it used to have.. im not sure what happened i cant type hahahaah any more, without my phone thinking i am doing a swype gesture and changing my keyboard. I loev the keyboard, and think it is the best. I hope that its not too big an issue. Thanks man adam
cyrilDeveloper
Hello I tested a long time before releasing this version, but maybe there are still problems on some phones Which phone / ROM do you have ?
cyrilDeveloper
By the way if you have a HTC Desire or similar phone, it may be the standard HTC issue (you need to reboot your phone). I hope it's the case...
aamzalag
I have a moto Droid with 2.2 cyanogen 6 rom. The keybaord is not responsive at all anymore