I run CM 6 too on Nexus One and have no issues, so at the moment I have no clues why you have problems... anyone else?
multi touch sometimes doesn't work
Maybe im wrong here. but i remembner in the old version of smart keyboard i could hold shift down, and then click a letter, and thje phone would react as if i had pushed, shitf then k. then lifted both fingers. Now if i do that, i hold a, then click K, it acts as if i havent touched k at all, instead it kjust thinks i am holding A only. this is different than i remember, causeing issues if i type fast, because it thikns im am holding a single key, and not touching one then another.
For me the "old" behavior still works... have you tried to restart your phone?
Do you see "No multitouch API" in the logs ? (you are not supposed to see it, but it would explain your problem)
Do you see "No multitouch API" in the logs ? (you are not supposed to see it, but it would explain your problem)
I type with two fingers on my HTC Incredible (android 2.1).... I hate to say it, but S.K.Pro is now really slowing me down, especially with the latest update.
Problem: It sometimes does not read the two keys when I press two keys rapidly one after the other, with a finger lift between them. I'll try to make a video to show what is happening.
If I OVERLAP the presses, it seems MORE responsive than if i press and release them each individually. It is like multi-touch has taken precedence over NORMAL fast touch.
A press-release-press-release sequence should consistently capture both keys, but it does not. This problem existed before too, but it seems worse now. So I end up with LOTS of dropped letters, almost to the point where I can not use it.
As it is now, the standard keyboard is much more responsive, but I really want to stick with S.K.Pro. Looking forward to the next update!
Problem: It sometimes does not read the two keys when I press two keys rapidly one after the other, with a finger lift between them. I'll try to make a video to show what is happening.
If I OVERLAP the presses, it seems MORE responsive than if i press and release them each individually. It is like multi-touch has taken precedence over NORMAL fast touch.
A press-release-press-release sequence should consistently capture both keys, but it does not. This problem existed before too, but it seems worse now. So I end up with LOTS of dropped letters, almost to the point where I can not use it.
Yes please, because I don't understand what happens to you... the input algorithm has been much improved, so it cannot be worse than before
The only explanations I see are:
1) multitouch doesn't work at all (due to the HTC bug explained many times... you need to restart your phone to make it work). Can you check this?
2) you have performance problems not related to multitouch. Can you reinstall the app completely, leave the smart dictionary disabled, and tell me if it's better?
The only explanations I see are:
1) multitouch doesn't work at all (due to the HTC bug explained many times... you need to restart your phone to make it work). Can you check this?
2) you have performance problems not related to multitouch. Can you reinstall the app completely, leave the smart dictionary disabled, and tell me if it's better?
I tried to take a video, but my small video camera is not able to capture the picture well.
Here is how I tested it: First, I powered off and on the phone. I turned off "Quick Fixes" and turned off "Smart dictionary" in S.K.Pro. I also turned off correction/prediction/completion options in the standard keyboard.
With S.K.Pro active, in a textbox, I typed LAZY over and over again ,very quickly, but within reason. The L is typed with the right finger, the A , Z, Y with the left finger. Since the left finger is free, the A is typed a tiny fraction of a second after the L . Most of the time, the A is lost, resulting in LZY . Since the left finger is used for Z, it only briefly taps A, but you can clearly see and hear that i am firmy hitting A on target. So, you hear tap tap tap tap (4 taps) every time.
Next I switched to the standard HTC Incredible keyboard, and repeated the test. I consistently get LAZY, not LZY, no matter how fast I try to type it.
I can duplicate this effect typing any word with two separate fingers like this.. It is always the letter under the "new finger" that is lost.
I turned on "show touch points". I am hitting close to the middle of the key, you can see the point on the key.
This may be useful info: The "lost" key is always just a blue dot, while the not-lost keys have red/green ones.
External image (img18.imageshack.us)
By the way, aside from this problem I am experiencing, I just want to thank you cyril for all the constant maintenance and upgrades you make.
Here is how I tested it: First, I powered off and on the phone. I turned off "Quick Fixes" and turned off "Smart dictionary" in S.K.Pro. I also turned off correction/prediction/completion options in the standard keyboard.
With S.K.Pro active, in a textbox, I typed LAZY over and over again ,very quickly, but within reason. The L is typed with the right finger, the A , Z, Y with the left finger. Since the left finger is free, the A is typed a tiny fraction of a second after the L . Most of the time, the A is lost, resulting in LZY . Since the left finger is used for Z, it only briefly taps A, but you can clearly see and hear that i am firmy hitting A on target. So, you hear tap tap tap tap (4 taps) every time.
Next I switched to the standard HTC Incredible keyboard, and repeated the test. I consistently get LAZY, not LZY, no matter how fast I try to type it.
I can duplicate this effect typing any word with two separate fingers like this.. It is always the letter under the "new finger" that is lost.
I turned on "show touch points". I am hitting close to the middle of the key, you can see the point on the key.
This may be useful info: The "lost" key is always just a blue dot, while the not-lost keys have red/green ones.
External image (img18.imageshack.us)
By the way, aside from this problem I am experiencing, I just want to thank you cyril for all the constant maintenance and upgrades you make.
cyril, how do i get a log for the keyboard? and btw so i am clear, multi touch should make it so i can press multiple keys at one time correct?because now i cant do that, no matter what i push, it is always one key, even if one finger touches m while the other touches a. for example.
@aamzalag and @stimpsonjc: I really think you completely lost multitouch, which is a HTC specific issue when using a third party keyboard (and not the keyboard's fault... it happens with all third party keyboards)
Usually it works again when you restart your phone, so it's a bit more annoying if even this method doesn't work (as I can do absolutely nothing to fix it, it's a HTC bug)
To get the phone logs, you can install "Log Collector" and use several methods to retrieve the logs (by mail, etc). What you should do is to switch to the stock keyboard, switch back to smart keyboard pro, and immediately after collect the logs with that app. If you see "No multitouch API" in the logs, it will be a clue, but with the "HTC bug", you could lose multitouch even without this log.
Usually it works again when you restart your phone, so it's a bit more annoying if even this method doesn't work (as I can do absolutely nothing to fix it, it's a HTC bug)
To get the phone logs, you can install "Log Collector" and use several methods to retrieve the logs (by mail, etc). What you should do is to switch to the stock keyboard, switch back to smart keyboard pro, and immediately after collect the logs with that app. If you see "No multitouch API" in the logs, it will be a clue, but with the "HTC bug", you could lose multitouch even without this log.
I have a moto droid though. I don't think the HTC bug applies for me. Unless because I am running a cyanogen mod, which is made on nexus one, that could be the cause?
cyril, I sent you (PM) the LOG from my phone.
I do not think I saw a line about multi touch in the log.
Also, did the image in my last post help?
Please advise. THANKS!
I do not think I saw a line about multi touch in the log.
Also, did the image in my last post help?
Please advise. THANKS!
I just changed roms to sapphire for droid, ad now the keyboard works so amazing. Its comparable to the iPhone keyboard now. Amazing Cyril. Thanks so much.
The touch points image from my other post suggests that my multitouch is working correctly, right?
I also tried app called Multitouch Visual Test, and it seems to work fine.
Hopefully the Log I sent you has some useful info.
Thanks,
I also tried app called Multitouch Visual Test, and it seems to work fine.
Hopefully the Log I sent you has some useful info.
Thanks,
No luck here after the latest update (on Incredible). Logged it and didn't see the word "multitouch" anywhere in two separate logs. I've never had any need to reboot after installation, FYI.
Thanks for your hard work on this - keep it up. Have you thought about looking at the HTC IME source code to see how they did it?
Thanks for your hard work on this - keep it up. Have you thought about looking at the HTC IME source code to see how they did it?
@stimpsonjc: the touch points you see are definitely showing a problem.
Actually it made me a discover a stupid bug in the multitouch "fix" I made... I will fix it in right now in 2.8.2
If the problem persists after the update I will send you a debug version for more investigation
Actually it made me a discover a stupid bug in the multitouch "fix" I made... I will fix it in right now in 2.8.2
If the problem persists after the update I will send you a debug version for more investigation
Excellent! That fixed it for me.
Fyi there's one small piece of collateral damage... when you use a gesture it leaves a single character behind.
Edit: lost multitouch after a few minutes. Hmm.
Fyi there's one small piece of collateral damage... when you use a gesture it leaves a single character behind.
Edit: lost multitouch after a few minutes. Hmm.
Indeed there is a side effect on swipe... So I reverted to the pre 2.8.0 behavior for now as it's a very serious regression, sorry for all these updates...
I will post a beta version once I have figured out all the issues (this last one is not an easy one)
I will post a beta version once I have figured out all the issues (this last one is not an easy one)
I will look at the swipe issue, meanwhile you can still get the "nearly-fixed" version here: http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/be ... beta_1.apk
Let me know if you see other problems than the extra character with swipe in that version. Thanks
Let me know if you see other problems than the extra character with swipe in that version. Thanks
2.9.0 beta 1 is GREAT!! Thank you!
No keystrokes are lost now.
If you need any more screen captures or logs for the gesture glitch, let me know, I'll be happy to help.
No keystrokes are lost now.
If you need any more screen captures or logs for the gesture glitch, let me know, I'll be happy to help.
Could you test http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/be ... beta_2.apk ?
The swipe issue should be fixed and the multitouch workaround still working. I hope this will be the last try!
The swipe issue should be fixed and the multitouch workaround still working. I hope this will be the last try!
Swipe glitch is fixed.
Fast keystrokes still seem as good as in beta 1, but somehow "feels" not as fast?? This is very subjective.
New glitch: Two very closely spaced (i.e. probably overlapping) keystrokes only give you one key click sound. In beta 1, you get two clicks for the two keystrokes. The lack of the two clicks for hyperfast keystrokes might be what makes it feel slower...
I am backing up beta 1 and beta 2 to keep for my own reference. Beta 1 to me feels "perfect" except for the swipe thing. If i could just get long-press-comma = microphone, then I would not need any swipe gestures. (hint hint wink wink)

Fast keystrokes still seem as good as in beta 1, but somehow "feels" not as fast?? This is very subjective.
New glitch: Two very closely spaced (i.e. probably overlapping) keystrokes only give you one key click sound. In beta 1, you get two clicks for the two keystrokes. The lack of the two clicks for hyperfast keystrokes might be what makes it feel slower...
I am backing up beta 1 and beta 2 to keep for my own reference. Beta 1 to me feels "perfect" except for the swipe thing. If i could just get long-press-comma = microphone, then I would not need any swipe gestures. (hint hint wink wink)
Well, the sound "glitch" is due to a hack I had to do to solve the swipe issue.. I will find something to get a better feeling
Assuming it's only the click that's created a perceived difference, I think most people would not notice it nor care... Most people leave the click off, if I am not mistaken... 290 beta 2 is just infinitely better than 280 in my opinion. It feels very fast whether you use beta 1 or 2, certainly much faster than competing keyboards. Just my 2 cents of course.
So here is the latest beta: http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/be ... 0-beta.apk
You will see there is much more than the multitouch improvement
You will see there is much more than the multitouch improvement
So far it looks like everything is working for me (HTC Incredible, 2.1) -- thanks again! 
I have downloaded the latest update (Aug 15) and while it seems to dish out words smoother, I still find some missteps with the multi-touch function. For instance, typing "you" quickly still results in "yu" despite the pop-up keys showing all three letters y-o-u having been pressed. The same is true for other common words like "Hey (Hy)" or "get (gt)." I also notice it for words ending in "-ing". It'll usually end up missing the n, eg. "takig" or "makig."
SKB is superior to stock keyboards or other keyboards on the market (including Better Keyboard), but a genuine fix for this could really go a long way in making the user experience ideal. These hiccups and missed/unregistered letters can be slightly frustrating when typing out a quick message, or a long email. Looking forward to more updates to these woes.
EDIT: I'm running Android 2.1 on a Vibrant. I don't have the sound or vibrate functions turned on when typing.
SKB is superior to stock keyboards or other keyboards on the market (including Better Keyboard), but a genuine fix for this could really go a long way in making the user experience ideal. These hiccups and missed/unregistered letters can be slightly frustrating when typing out a quick message, or a long email. Looking forward to more updates to these woes.
EDIT: I'm running Android 2.1 on a Vibrant. I don't have the sound or vibrate functions turned on when typing.
Hey Cyril,
so I was using cyanogen again on my motor Droid and updated to the most recent version and multi touch isn't working again. Can I send you some logs or something? It works fine on other stood Tom's. Just not on cyanigen mod 6
so I was using cyanogen again on my motor Droid and updated to the most recent version and multi touch isn't working again. Can I send you some logs or something? It works fine on other stood Tom's. Just not on cyanigen mod 6
I'd been hesistant to upgrade from 2.8.2 but finally did (to 3.0.3) and while the swipe bug is fixed, multi-touch is worse than before. I'm getting a bunch of missed characters, alternate keys (i.e. the popup menu you get if you hold down a key) getting stuck on, etc. I missed the 2.9.0 beta and others, but would be happy to go back and test previous versions if they're available somewhere (the links in previous posts in this thread no longer work). For now I'm using 2.8.2, which I'd backed up.