Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Skins skins skins - let's chat!

punyweakling
Hey everyone... punyweakling here. You may know me from such skins as Rapid, Orange Slate, and Plus... etc etc
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... nyweakling

I've always lurked around here from time to time and I thought it might be cool to drop in and chat - maybe answer any questions anyone might have about how I do keyboard skinning etc! :P
TheTehk17
Welcome to the forums!

We have a thread dedicated to theme development so there are usually users posting with general theming questions/problems there (though it has been rather quiet lately).

Although I am sure this thread can be used for questions with, specifically, porting themes to different resolutions (many on these forums release themes for a single resolution), or for any general questions about your themes.
punyweakling
Thanks!!!

I can reply regarding the resolution thing. If you're doing 9patches correctly there should be no problem with just copying all your res/mdpi into res/hdpi (for example) - or even xhdpi (not sure how openskin handles xhdpi). You need to be careful with the original size of your image, and how you set up the patches with regards to curves or any rounded corners. But is there any reason people don't just copy their resources into the next size up?
TheTehk17
They may either not know how to port to different resolutions, not want to do the extra work, or "cannot test" it (invalidated because it is fairly easy to set up an emulator with the desired resolution).

I have tried to help others in supporting at least mdpi and hdpi by default when posting new themes, but this usually does not happen. (I will add this suggestion to the "How to Create Skins" thread now.)