Is it possible for you to offer an alternate layout for this keyboard? I love the compact keyboard (reminds me of the only good thing about the BB Storm) but everytime I go to press "a" I hit the XT9 key. It's oftly frustrating. Would it be possible to move the keys to under the keyboard? (on the sides of the spacebar)
Compact KB Layout
Agreed!
Moving those keys to the bottom would also help widen the keys = even better typing experience!
Moving those keys to the bottom would also help widen the keys = even better typing experience!
I have to agree with the above post... in fact, with the xt9 key in the way, the keyboard is not symmetrical. That has to be the MOST counter-intuitive thing I've ever seen on any keyboard.
I think rim got it right with the storm "suretype" keypad. Imo, the compact keyboard should be modelled after this. Symetrical buttons which are all the same size.
External image (tech4teens.files.wordpress.com)
Can this be done with skins, or does it have to be hard-coded into the keyboard?
Also, as a slight workaround for the problem of switching xt9 on/off while typing quickly, a good idea would be to have a setting where we could indicate the tap-length to activate this button (therefore a quick tap wouldnt activate/deactivate the predictive nature of the keyboarD). I've seen it on some other 3rd party keyboards, and it seems to do the trick. Again, this should be considered a workaround, not a solution.
Thanks for your time reading this long-winded post.
I think rim got it right with the storm "suretype" keypad. Imo, the compact keyboard should be modelled after this. Symetrical buttons which are all the same size.
External image (tech4teens.files.wordpress.com)
Can this be done with skins, or does it have to be hard-coded into the keyboard?
Also, as a slight workaround for the problem of switching xt9 on/off while typing quickly, a good idea would be to have a setting where we could indicate the tap-length to activate this button (therefore a quick tap wouldnt activate/deactivate the predictive nature of the keyboarD). I've seen it on some other 3rd party keyboards, and it seems to do the trick. Again, this should be considered a workaround, not a solution.
Thanks for your time reading this long-winded post.
No it cannot be a skin, it has to be hardcoded, and what is more, for every language (you know, English QWERTY is not the reference for everyone in the world
)
I think you find it counter intuitive because you are used to the BB layout but other people like the HTC layout (the one used in Smart Keyboard) better, especially because many people like and want a big space bar (you don't imagine how many emails I received asking to increase the size of the space bar, even when it's impossible)
So for sure it would need to be a new layout, I cannot change the current one.
Adding this layout for English (QWERTY) could be done quickly, but a clean implementation for all languages will require more time. If people vote for it I can do it of course
I think you find it counter intuitive because you are used to the BB layout but other people like the HTC layout (the one used in Smart Keyboard) better, especially because many people like and want a big space bar (you don't imagine how many emails I received asking to increase the size of the space bar, even when it's impossible)
So for sure it would need to be a new layout, I cannot change the current one.
Adding this layout for English (QWERTY) could be done quickly, but a clean implementation for all languages will require more time. If people vote for it I can do it of course
You mean English isn't the only language? 
I see your point about implementation, I assumed only English had a compact option.
I'll still vote for the English suretype style keyboard, but in the meantime, would you consider the workaroundfor the accidental tapping of the xt9 key?
Also, where would we vote? (Apologies for all the questions)
I see your point about implementation, I assumed only English had a compact option.
I'll still vote for the English suretype style keyboard, but in the meantime, would you consider the workaroundfor the accidental tapping of the xt9 key?
Also, where would we vote? (Apologies for all the questions)
People can vote in this topic 
I'll check if something can be done for the T9 key when I have some time
I'll check if something can be done for the T9 key when I have some time
Sally Mack wrote:I have to agree with the above post... in fact, with the xt9 key in the way, the keyboard is not symmetrical. That has to be the MOST counter-intuitive thing I've ever seen on any keyboard.Agreed, I LOVE the blackberry storm KB, I constantly find myself typing as if I still have it even though I haven't used it for almost 2 years.
I think rim got it right with the storm "suretype" keypad. Imo, the compact keyboard should be modelled after this. Symetrical buttons which are all the same size.
External image (tech4teens.files.wordpress.com)
Can this be done with skins, or does it have to be hard-coded into the keyboard?
Also, as a slight workaround for the problem of switching xt9 on/off while typing quickly, a good idea would be to have a setting where we could indicate the tap-length to activate this button (therefore a quick tap wouldnt activate/deactivate the predictive nature of the keyboarD). I've seen it on some other 3rd party keyboards, and it seems to do the trick. Again, this should be considered a workaround, not a solution.
Thanks for your time reading this long-winded post.
Should this topic, perhaps, be merged with the other one?
The other thread kind of took off, this doesn't really need to be merged considering the layout has already been fixed.
Hm, let say "changed" instead of fixed? 
I just thought that there were some nice ideas here, basically on the same subject, and that not all of the people posting on the other thread saw them...
I just thought that there were some nice ideas here, basically on the same subject, and that not all of the people posting on the other thread saw them...
Things are never "fixed" 
I have some ideas to make a clone of BB suretype keyboard, but it requires again some rewriting of the app, as at the moment I would need to do it for every language, which is a lot of work (do you know how many languages are supported by SKP?
)
I have some ideas to make a clone of BB suretype keyboard, but it requires again some rewriting of the app, as at the moment I would need to do it for every language, which is a lot of work (do you know how many languages are supported by SKP?
cyril wrote:Things are never "fixed"Can't wait to see this once its done!
I have some ideas to make a clone of BB suretype keyboard, but it requires again some rewriting of the app, as at the moment I would need to do it for every language, which is a lot of work (do you know how many languages are supported by SKP?)