Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Reducing lag... any tips?

eolsgaard
Hey Cyril,

So people (myself included) are always asking about ways to improve lag, sending you logs, and just finding out that it's not SKP that's lagging our typing, it's our own phones doing it. I know this because I get the exact same lag with all the other keyboard I use (except Swype, but that's not the same breed here).

In the logs, you can see that delay that occurs and is perceived as lag. Do you know what in particular is causing the lag? Is it an abundance of apps, or too many things running in the background (under the "running services" menu in the applications settings)? Or is it running a home replacement such as Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher adding to the lag?

Any tips you know of would be great. I have quite a bit of stuff on my Incredible, and I could live without a lot of it if it meant reducing my lag significantly.

Thanks!

E
cyril Developer
Hello
have you tried the latest beta in this post? I improved memory usage in this version, which could reduce lags.
eolsgaard
cyril wrote:Hello
have you tried the latest beta in this post? I improved memory usage in this version, which could reduce lags.
Oh, I just meant in general... SKP is by far the least laggy keyboard of all of them, but I think there might be something on my phone that overall is causing lag on all of my keyboards. I'm not sure if I should uninstall programs, or try to minimize which ones are running in the background, or maybe stop using a home replacement, ya know?
Evangion
I'm seriously experiencing very laggy performance on my Nexus S i9023 at this point in time.

It's slow and words come "pouring" out after a 1-2 second delay. The old version of Smart Keyboard Pro & the stock Gingerbread keyboard doesn't exhibit behavior like this.

What's going on?
cyril Developer
1-2 second is definitely unbelievable. Can you backup your settings, reinstall the app completely (without restoring the backup), and check if it's better?
Evangion
cyril wrote:1-2 second is definitely unbelievable. Can you backup your settings, reinstall the app completely (without restoring the backup), and check if it's better?
Will try this once I get back home today and update on the status of it. Thanks.