Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Gingerbread touch to correct

onthecouch
Cyril, on the Gingerbread stock keyboard, there's a way to touch a word that's already typed to correct it. For example, if I'm typing "how are yuo?" but misspelled 'you', I can touch the word, and suggestions will come up on that suggestions bar.

This is what I think at least part of what Better Keyboard 8 meant when they said they "optimized" it for Gingerbread. I think Smart Keyboard Pro would benefit greatly from adding this feature as well (on top of optimizing it in general to no longer miss keys and space bar presses -- we talked about this already).

Let me know if I was clear.
onthecouch
I guess not? I'm the only one that wants this? It's a great and handy feature to tap and correct words already typed =T
onthecouch
SaKeygo wrote:My guess is you're referring to something like this: http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/fo ... ?f=2&t=670, or having the cursor touch the word to respell. If so, I agree, it would be a nice feature to add.
Yes, that is what I am referring to. Thanks for the link. I've posted a response there as well.

In general, Cyril, after more use, I am convinced that SKP *does* in fact need to be "optimized" for Android 2.3. It clearly runs slower than on 2.2. Also, I'm unable to recreate the same problems with other keyboards. For example, Better Keyboard 8 or the stock Android keyboard on 2.3 all have their own share of problems, but not the same problems as SKP has on 2.3. This leads me to believe it has something to do with SKP itself and how it runs with 2.3.

Mere conjecture since I'm not a developer, but that's my feeling. I know you said you're looking into it; I'm eager to hear results (and solutions!). SKP remains my fav. keyboard and I'm reluctant to leave it because of my favorite feature: Custom Autotext. But it's becoming clear to me it doesn't cut it on 2.3.
cyril Developer
And I still don't see how/why the keyboard would need to be optimized "for" Gingerbread. What can be done (and will be partially) is to take parts of Gingerbread stock keyboard to get its new features (like the one this post is about), and that's what was done in BK 8. So far you are the only ones to report issues, but of course I will investigate if several people report the same symptoms (personally I don't experience them on a Nexus 1 with CM7)
onthecouch
Strange. Then perhaps it could be with the Nexus S itself? That's really unfortunate if so.

I sent you a lengthy email, Cyril, going a little more in depth with what I've been experiencing with stock, Better Keyboard 8, and SKP in the past few weeks of testing. Hope that helps.
chtamina
one vote here for the "tap&respell" feature

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
primitiveworld
I would LOVE to see this feature as well. It is frustrating sometimes to have to fix one letter in a misspelled word and fumbling around just to change it. Currently I am sticking with the gingerbread keyboard for this feature alone, but would go back to SKP for good if it was implemented!
nick.koutrelakos
I'm on Gingerbread myself and haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in my transition from Froyo to GB with SKP. That being said, I do want this feature.
too758
put me down for this feature too. i've been looking for a keyboard that works well on gingerbread with no luck. BK8 and the stock GB keyboard are all really slow with their response time after my initial text selection. it makes it seem like the multi touch can't keep up with my text speed but FINALLY, this keyboard works so i'm gonna have to stay with it for a while. I hope this gets put in as a feature. then i would be sold.

ps the droid X keyboard had the same feature but it won't work with gingerbread either. Thanks!
primitiveworld
Any word on if this feature might be implemented in a future update? Have stuck with the gingerbread keyboard for a while now because of this one feature.
cyril Developer
Given the popularity of this request, of course it will be done.
Given the complexity of this request, you may have to wait a bit ;)