Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

Compact Keyboard

boowalley
:D Did you guys get the latest update for the best evolving keyboard in the market today ? Cyril hit it dead on with the better HTC skin, folks. I had to double check to make sure I was using the Smartkeyboard Pro. The key spacing is prefect in my opinion just like the HTC keyboard on my EVO 4G. If not for the lack of navigation arrows (which I happen to love but will sacrifice for ease of switching from QWERTY to COMPACT with just a swipe) I really couldn't tell the difference. So far the text input has been smooth without the usual lag that I used to get when I start to type the first sentence. Haven't had the chance to explore any other possible fixes but if I have any concerns, I'll report back later. But so far, so good. Keep up the great work. :mrgreen:
Edit: Still getting the occasional lag at the beginning of first sentence but all other statements hold true.
cyril Developer
The key spacing is prefect in my opinion just like the HTC keyboard on my EVO 4G
Which means psychology is important when you develop a keyboard ;) I didn't change at all the spacing of the HTC skin, just changed the mod keys so that they appear in black instead of white as in the original keyboard (but I know that makes a difference)
boowalley
You could have fooled me ;) I guess you're right about psychology because I swear the change is making a big difference for me. Duh :oops:
sublow
I love the new layout in the beta but I would like the full stop made the same width as the "M" key as I keep on hitting the "Return" Key. Or even the option to remove the "Return" key as I never use it.

Just my 2 penneth worth.
boowalley
Love the swipe gesture for next word prediction. Interesting. I wonder what little goodies Cyril has in store for future updates :?: Sometimes with these constant updates, I get scared that he might mess up a good thing but so far he's only added better functional features that are useful. Keep up the good work and keep updating :)
boowalley
All of a sudden while in landscape mode the letter " b " looks as if it's been pressed and stuck in the down position if you know what I mean. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how do you unstick a key on a touch screen phone? Not a problem when inputting but this needs to be reported none the less. Cyril, check this out.

Attachments

SAM_0121.JPG
SAM_0121.JPG
Mandark
This happened to me a couple of times.
Just restart the keyboard process (or reboot) and it should be fine.
cyril Developer
This is the bug reported here
It's fixed in the beta!
boowalley
Thanks. A simple reboot solved the problem.
PS. Really digging the swipe for next suggestion :D
Mandark
There seems to be a lack of responses from cyril on this topic. :)

Is there anything you could give us, your positions regarding some of the suggestions previously entered?
(removing some keys/using the suggestion box for them/changing the layout more)

At the very least, doing something about the comma/colon&comma buttons :D
boowalley
I'm still having a problem with lag. Not as smooth as the stock keyboard on my EVO. That's my only problem. I've been using HTC_IME but I like the layout of Smartkeyboard Pro better. And SKP has more features. But the lag is annoying. Anyone know how I can remedy this. I've tried unchecking the smart dictionary. But SOS :( Other than that I luv this keyboard.
boowalley
Uninstalled HTC_IME again, can't stand the UI. I'll stick with a little lag from SKP and the stock HTC keyboard.
boowalley
Great update. Expanding the space bar is a great idea. How about putting the mic icon on the number screen along with the comma and period so that the option to use it is still available. I don't use it that much but having the option to still use it for quick reply is very valuable. I have the Arrows only options enable and there's plenty of space on that screen also. Or how about toggling another screen with a cool microphone Icon only. Your voice option is better than the stock voice input because it gives us the best match option instead of just pasting text directly into app. That stands out over the other voice input methods. Keep up the good work. :D
boowalley
"You're not at any real loss either, as the comma is still available in the commonly used punctuation bar that appears after you've pushed the spacebar. And of course, a double tap on the spacebar inserts a period. If you've disabled the voice key, you can find it at its new home on the ALT keys screen". This is Via Android Central. The voice icon is not showing on my ALT screen. Can anyone explain what's i'm doing wrong :?:
cyril Developer
Isn't it enough to use a gesture to trigger voice input, if you don't use it that often?
Anyway I may add an option to show mic key in the symbols panel, if that's a popular request (indeed I don't know what the Android Central guy is talking about ;) )

About lags, I'm working at rewriting parts of the app in C++, hopefully it will help a bit
boowalley
:oops: My bad, I didn't scroll up high enough in the gesture area to see the "speech to text" option. Duh. I'm good now. As far as the lag, I seem to find that it's mostly an issue when entering text in the search all or search bar on my Evo. Notes, emails,sms etc; there is no noticeable lag. In forum's of other keyboards I find that people gripe about the same with whatever keyboard they're using. Even the mighty stock HTC keyboard sometimes isn't as responsive in the internet or search all bar. So maybe the issue is not with your coding, it might have to do with the OS.
boowalley
I just downloaded and installed the apk for the new Gingerbread keyboard. Smartkeyboard Pro is head and shoulders better. Just some info for you guys that are waiting for it, don't hold your breath SKP is much, much better.
Mandark
So... Any news on removing unused buttons (123/xt9...) from layouts?