Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.
How to install skins
cyrilDeveloper
To install the skins you will find in this forum, you just need to:
1) download a skin (a .zip file) from the forum. With some browsers such as Safari you may need to right click on the file name and choose "Save as..." in your browser, instead of just clicking on it. Warning! Your browser may want to save the file as "file.php"; if it is the case you must change the name, it must end with ".zip" extension, otherwise the skin will not appear in the list! Note that you must not use Android Tapatalk app to see the download links on the forum! Use a normal browser instead.
2) once downloaded, copy (don't extract!) the corresponding .zip file to your SD card in a directory named "skins". You need to create this "skins" directory at the root of your SD card, if it doesn't exist. You can do it directly from your phone with a File Manager (like "Astro File Manager"), otherwise plug your phone to your computer, turn on USB storage, and copy the file from your computer to the SD card (don't forget to create the "skins" directory if it doesn't exist). The skin should appear at the end of the skin list in the keyboard settings. If it doesn't, read the instructions again as it means you did something wrong!
If the keyboard appears all black when you load the skin, it means there is an error in the skin (for instance it doesn't support your phone resolution). In that case please report it in the forum so that the author of the skin can fix it
wire-to-wire
Thanks for the info, you helped me get this awesome new skin on my phone.
maygem82
How do I change it to .zip?
cyrilDeveloper
Just change the name when your browser asks you to save the file as "file.php". Otherwise just rename the file before copying it to the SD card (BTW is a phpBB guru knows how to fix this problem, I would be very grateful to know how)
tinnitus
Hello! I understood everything ............... regarding how to install skins but where it is to download them?
I have attempted to download the Droid.zip and it was unsuccessful as was the skin I attempted to download, it states in the error that its not supported by my device. Can you help me with this? I would really like to download the 3D skin. Droid 2.1 Thank you in advance.
cyrilDeveloper
You should install "Astro File Manager" if you want to download directly from your phone
Koala132
Thanks, I was about to throw my Droid through a wall cause it wasn't working. Now it makes sense. So many thanks.
Koala132
pumpsNhips
hey i need help i wanna use the glossy one or 3d keyboard but i cant download it from my htc incredible please help
dubluv17
Skins will NOT show up for me. I have done the following:
1. Created /sdcard/skins folder.
2. Placed three skins in previous folder in ".zip" form.
3. Checked "general settings--->select skin" for skins and they are not there.
What am I doing wrong?
card-us
hai, i had problem with skins of smartkeyboard. last week when i used smartkeyboard trial the skins are show at list, but when i upgrade it to smartkeyboardPRO the list of my downloading skins are not appear on the list. (i already put skins folder on the Root of my SD card. can someone help me for this problem thanks before
prog-amateur
dubluv17 wrote:Skins will NOT show up for me. I have done the following:
1. Created /sdcard/skins folder.
2. Placed three skins in previous folder in ".zip" form.
3. Checked "general settings--->select skin" for skins and they are not there.
What am I doing wrong?
Exactly the same problem. Please help us. I have the PRO version too.
card-us
prog-amateur wrote:
dubluv17 wrote:Skins will NOT show up for me. I have done the following:
1. Created /sdcard/skins folder.
2. Placed three skins in previous folder in ".zip" form.
3. Checked "general settings--->select skin" for skins and they are not there.
What am I doing wrong?
Exactly the same problem. Please help us. I have the PRO version too.
Found it the problem, it just got solve after i used SKP ver 3.4.0 it detect the skins very well & it has the same interface as the trial version ( only the PRO doesn't had popup thing)
KingstonBS
I cannot get any skins to show up? I have followed all the instructions, so frustrated!!!
Centerman
This is how I got the Keyboard skins to display on my Samsung Captivate.
1. Created /sdcard/skins folder...... This is where the problem was for me The skins folder you make must be in the root directory of the phone itself. Not in the sdcard folder or on your SD chip.
Skins now display and work fine.
KingstonBS
I give up...it just doesn't work! I'm using a droid X & I've tried all these & nothing works. It just shouldn't be this difficult. Everyone keeps saying in the root of your phone or SD card, but everything I've tried won't let me access he root directory
nicky041192
KingstonBS wrote:I give up...it just doesn't work! I'm using a droid X & I've tried all these & nothing works. It just shouldn't be this difficult. Everyone keeps saying in the root of your phone or SD card, but everything I've tried won't let me access he root directory
do you know what what the root of your SD card means...?
Shorte85
I'm having the same problem as well and was hoping someone could help me out.
I thought that the root of the SD card or phone is where all the folders and what not are. Am I incorrect? If so, please be elaborate in what needs to be done as I have been at this for the past 2 days. Thanks
cyrilDeveloper
The root of the SD card is the directory called /sdcard (or /mnt/sdcard) when you use a file explorer on your phone, but if you plug your phone to your computer via USB, the root of the SD card is just the root of the USB drive which appears on your computer.
Shorte85
Okay, it works. However, the one that I edited seems to not show up in the list. I am not sure if it is because it is not compressing into a *.zip file correctly. I am not sure?
Is there a certain way to compress a *.zip file in order for it to work?
Skilover
There are quite a number of better keyboard skins that I downloaded from the store that do not work. None are zip files- some like Oil Slick work; others do not. They down load to file : data/data. Anyway to fix this?
cyrilDeveloper
BK skins have nothing to do with the OpenSkin format this forum is about. For BK skins you only need to install the app, and the skin will show up in the skin list automatically. If it doesn't, it means it's a protected skin, which Better Android (the author of these skins) doesn't want other keyboards to use.
morganboy0
Someone please help me , okay so I downloaded astro file manager and then created a new .zip folder and named it skins , then I try to download a file my phone stills stay phone not supported , help I'm lost what do I do ?
cyrilDeveloper
morganboy0 wrote:Someone please help me , okay so I downloaded astro file manager and then created a new .zip folder and named it skins , then I try to download a file my phone stills stay phone not supported , help I'm lost what do I do ?
Not sure what you call a ".zip folder"... you just need to create a folder named "skins" on your SD card, and put the skins there. If you have problems with Astro, just download skins from your computer and transfer them via USB to your phone.
Kirara Young
I am sorry if I am being a bother. I have the SGH-T939 Behold2 and I download it on my browser; however it say "Unknown" The file that is, and also that when I press menu it states "Delete Download. Nothing more just that as an option. What am I doing wrong? Is it my settings?
Do I need an app for this?
Thank you
cyrilDeveloper
Try with another browser, or to download from a computer and transfer the zip to your phone via USB.
budlightallnight
Mayb I'm not smartest guy in world but I downloaded skins, saved as zip files, downloaded astro file manager, not sure how 2 create skin document on sd card. I can c skin rules just wont appear under list of skins 2 select or apply 2 keyboard under select skin setting. PLZ HELP!!!
Kirara Young
I used "Opera Mini" with the Astro Manager and it worked, but when I made a folder Directory with the Skin file in the folder I change it to skins.zip. Is that what I am to do? It showed up like it was correct. It did not show in my Smart Keyboard though. What did I do wrong?
cyrilDeveloper
Kirara Young wrote:I used "Opera Mini" with the Astro Manager and it worked, but when I made a folder Directory with the Skin file in the folder I change it to skins.zip. Is that what I am to do? It showed up like it was correct. It did not show in my Smart Keyboard though. What did I do wrong?
You need to call that folder "skins" (at the root of your SD card). You don't need to change the skin name (it just has to end with .zip extension).