Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

How to install skins

brandon_D
ok, few questions im new to smart phone and root usage so bear with me:
1) do i have to make the zip file for skins form astro or can i do it from my computer by romovable disk-->sd card-->file--> new-->compressed folder (aka zip)?
2)when i use astro how do i make a zip folder under sd card?
Kirara Young
Thank you it worked. I used the "Dolphin Browser". It helped a lot.
c00ller
brandon_D wrote:ok, few questions im new to smart phone and root usage so bear with me:
1) do i have to make the zip file for skins form astro or can i do it from my computer by romovable disk-->sd card-->file--> new-->compressed folder (aka zip)?
2)when i use astro how do i make a zip folder under sd card?
1) you can make it by computer and it will work just fine. 7zip is nice free windows app
BlackRose
Yea I downloaded the zip file ..inside side of it .. its the drawables and what not and a skins write file .. so exact . The zip into the skin D.. and it still didn't show up .. I'm using my phone .. astro fill M
gogo78956
please make a video and when you do post a link here i am having trouble with installing it
pls pls pls
jojo
I can do this without a pc just my Droid and astro cuz if so I have problems they are not on list after I follow directions, I am not dumb, help.
cyril Developer
jojo wrote:I can do this without a pc just my Droid and astro cuz if so I have problems they are not on list after I follow directions, I am not dumb, help.
You probably didn't copy the skin file in a "skins" folder on your SD card. Read again the instructions in the first post of the topic ;)
sunniy
maygem82 wrote:How do I change it to .zip?
vicdamone83
I tried to download skins with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Safari and nothing worked. Cannot figure out how to download skins. Cyril, your answers are short and non-descript. You expect non-tech savvy people to understand your lingo and the majority of us do not understand. The best way to educate us is to release a youtube video of the instructions.
cyril Developer
vicdamone83 wrote:I tried to download skins with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Safari and nothing worked. Cannot figure out how to download skins. Cyril, your answers are short and non-descript. You expect non-tech savvy people to understand your lingo and the majority of us do not understand. The best way to educate us is to release a youtube video of the instructions.
Can you elaborate about what "nothing works" mean? Do you mean that you cannot download a skin (which one by the way?) or that you don't understand how to install it on your phone?
violadav
I recently purchased a skin for my samsung vibrant cell and i am finding it difficult to install it.is there any online tutorials for installing the skins? Please write back.Thanks!

Samsung alias 2 vibrant skin
lukester01
On my new HTC REZOUND the the sd card is mounted as ext_sd and so is not recognized as a place for the 'skins' folder. I had to move via the file browse on a computer to the built in 'HTC storage' for the keyboard program to recognize the directory. (I could not move the folder with IO file manager for some reason to the HTC STORAGE)
jeter02
Help.

I've been reading about how to install these cool skins on my HTC Thunderbolt. I used my Mac, mounted my cell to the Mac, made a directory on the SD card names Skins, copied the brass.zip file into this folder on the SD card and this file won't show up on the general settings under skins.

I've been trying since last night since I downloaded the Pro version and it still doesn't show up. When I go into Astro, I see it under /mnt/sdcard. I see the skins folder, I go into the skins folder and see brass.zip (it shows as /mnt/sdcard/skins and then brass.zip. What's the problem?

Please advise at your earliest convenience as this purchase from last night does not work for some reason.

Thanks.
jeter02
OK so I uninstalled the app, reinstalled it and there it was. All is well.

:D
akaratemom
I have a droid bionic.

I downloaded the zip files on my computer,
plugged my phone into the usb,
created a "Skins" folder on the removable drive,
copied the zip files to the "Skins" folder,
unplugged the usb cord,
went to files in the phone apps drawer,
found the zip files,
clicked on them and they extracted into a folder in the skins folder.

I cannot get the skins to show up in smart keyboard!
Uninstalled the app and reinstalled. Still not there.

Any help??????
Gnaver
Hi, make the folder name with normal s not capitalized. So its gonna be skins... I think here there problem :-)
akaratemom
Changed the name from Skins to skins and still can't find them in Smart Keyboard! :(
Gnaver
Try to unzip them in computer and then move them to that folder via usb cable... Mobile extractors are little shitty
akaratemom
So Frustrated!!!! I have tried everything and still can't get these skins to show up!
akaratemom
I give up!!!!! I am very good with computers and directions. I have done everything and still can't get these skins. Very sad!!!!! :cry:
epicxclaw
Can you make a video of how 2 do it
:oops:
platinumrims
Mime used to work. Been using SKP forever. Always worked. Until now. I have a skins folder with all the skins on the forum downloaded and zipped if they weren't. They all always worked. Now, the app doesn't recognize my skins folder. i have it all over my phone to try to figure it out and none of the places are doing the trick. Not the system harddrive, not the sdcard, and not sdcard 2, where as about two weeks ago it all was gravy. ETF?

Edit: and wouldn't ya know. Now it works all of a sudden ;)
JonM
I can't get this to work. I have followed the instructions to the letter but the skins don't show up at all. I have them in '/sdcard/skins' as .zip files but nothing shows up. I tried on my external SD card too by creating a 'skins' folder in the root of the card but again, nothing. Please can someone help? I have a Samsung Galaxy W.
babylaparis
I just downloaded a file manager app from my market on my phone. now how do I save my skin
TheTehk17
babylaparis wrote:I just downloaded a file manager app from my market on my phone. now how do I save my skin
Create a directory in your sdcard called skins. Put the skin.zip there and it should show up in Smart Keyboard settings.
emeli104
I followed instructions and dwnloaded a skin it appears as a zip file but I try to open it n my fone n I get an error of " this skin cnt b opened n chomp" also it does not appear n my list of skin options. In fegeneral settings for the smart keyboard. How can I make this skin.zip an option for me?
JonM
Can anyone tell me why following the instructions in this post (skins folder in sdcard root and files as .ZIP) won't work whatever I try? Please!
schrochem
That should work.
Make sure its specifically 'skins' lower case and with the s
/sdcard/skins/
definitely not just /skins
make sure its one of the good skin zip files around here.
After you put it in there you should be able to go to general settings->select skins
And then scroll through. The names are sometimes out of order and even different than the zip title name.
hth
JonM
OK I've done as you said, and tried all possibilities but this still doesn't work! I really don't get why it's not picking up the skins. I'm trying to install the Cupertino skin and it's called Cupertino.zip and I've placed it at the root of my external SD card so the directory would be \sdcard\skins but nothing shows up! Can the developer please help me?
schrochem
Have you tried other skins? Maybe the zip is corrupt. I attached the Cupertino I have in my skins folder. See if it works.