Archived forum. This is a read-only copy of the Smart Keyboard community forum (2010–2015), kept for its history and its skins. Posts are shown as they were written, so some answers are out of date — see Help for current information. Want a post of yours removed? Email contact@smartkeyboardpro.com.

the "smart dictionary" feature rarely works

alcarin
it's an interesting feature... it should work better! please try to fix this bug :roll:
chtamina
Plus there's a feature that should be explained better:

if you "save" a word (even if the word is already in the dictionary) it gets absolute priority on the others, am I right ?

thanks
cyril Developer
chtamina wrote:if you "save" a word (even if the word is already in the dictionary) it gets absolute priority on the others, am I right ?
No, only auto-texts have absolute priority, but words added to the user dictionary have a priority based on frequency of usage, like other words.

I will look at the example given in the bug report, there may indeed remain problems when using smart dictionary in T9 mode (though most of them have been fixed long time ago)
chtamina
No, only auto-texts have absolute priority, but words added to the user dictionary have a priority based on frequency of usage, like other words.
got it, I was wrong then.
I will look at the example given in the bug report, there may indeed remain problems when using smart dictionary in T9 mode (though most of them have been fixed long time ago)
yes, you can trust me: I don't know why but too many times this frequency of usage cryteria won't apply
chtamina
it looks like sometimes you need to disable and enable it again to get it working

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
chtamina
I made a screencast from my phone showing smart dictionary feature NOT working with capital "i" in English. I keep selecting the capital "i" but it keep suggesting the normal one as the first suggestion
here's the link
http://db.tt/mqR0bZI

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril Developer
Can you do a backup of your settings and send them by mail? I'd like to see what you have in your smart dictionary.
cyril Developer
OK, so that's because you have an autotext "g" -> "i", and as I have explained, autotext always have the priority over the smart dictionary.
Works as designed ;) (then that's why autotext would need to be configured for each language)
chtamina
you're right, but here's another video where "ne" don't get priority on "me". I don't think it's autotext related this time (sent you via email)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
chtamina
have you looked at the video I sent?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
chtamina
I love this app but smart dictionary doesn't work, not in t9 mode at least.


Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril Developer
Sorry, but once again the smart dictionary works as expected. I can see from your backup that in Italian you typed "me" 138 times, and "ne" 70 times, so the behavior is normal.
chtamina
cool, I'm glad you explained why it "looked like" it wasn't working, btw i'll make some test.
thanks again for your patience

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
chtamina
ok, here's another video where there's something that doesn't work properly.
when i tap ad "c'è" doesn't get priority over "ad"
i have nothing strange in autotext, but you can check yourself.

video and backup.zip sent in email

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
quatermass
I find if I go back to a previous sentence then the auto correct completely turns off. I'd have to put in some spaces to get it to come back on. This is very annoying. :)
cyril Developer
quatermass wrote:I find if I go back to a previous sentence then the auto correct completely turns off. I'd have to put in some spaces to get it to come back on. This is very annoying. :)
What is the link with the smart dictionary? I guess you are just talking about this feature request
efindley
I came on these forums looking for an answer to this exact question. I type "it's" twice as much as I type "its" (according to the database), but it always makes "its" the first priority. Kind of annoying, but I wasn't sure I was understanding exactly how this feature was supposed to work. I use the full qwerty keyboard. I did just turn the smart dictionary off and then back on again to see if that will make a difference. Time will tell.
cyril Developer
efindley wrote:I came on these forums looking for an answer to this exact question. I type "it's" twice as much as I type "its" (according to the database), but it always makes "its" the first priority. Kind of annoying, but I wasn't sure I was understanding exactly how this feature was supposed to work. I use the full qwerty keyboard. I did just turn the smart dictionary off and then back on again to see if that will make a difference. Time will tell.
As I explained here, "its" will never be replaced by "it's" by the smart dictionary, as "its" is a valid word. Use a custom autotext if you want to replace "its" by "it's" permanently
efindley
Ah...okay. I misunderstood how custom autotext worked. I thought it would be like a macro and automatically replace something every time. But now I see it uses the suggestion bar just like the built in dictionary! Yay! Thanks! Sheesh...I have been missing out on a great customization tool! :roll: Thanks for being willing to explain things multiple times. :oops:
chtamina
cyril i sent you a video four or five days ago where the word "Carlo" wasn't replaced with the word "carlo" although this last one was the most used, did you take a look at it?
that was just an example, because this seems to happen with a lot of words.


thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril Developer
Well, it's normal as the smart dictionary is not case sensitive. Let's say it's a missing feature ;)
chtamina
so the smart dictionary prioritizes the word in its own dictionary over the custom words and it's not case sensitive. got it, thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
tmiv44
cyril wrote: As I explained here, "its" will never be replaced by "it's" by the smart dictionary, as "its" is a valid word. Use a custom autotext if you want to replace "its" by "it's" permanently
I use the Letter 'C' associated with the apostrophe as a trigger for Auto-text.
so when I type: "itcs" becomes "it's" and "icll" becomes "I'll" and "hecll" becomes "he'll" and "shecll" becomes "she'll"
It is kind of like a carry over from T9, where I type the key associated with the apostrophe, or any punctuation I want, and it just knows I want the punctuation not the letter. It works great with cardinal numbers too. like below:
qst ==> 1st
wnd ==> 2nd
erd ==> 3rd
rth ==> 4th
and so on... (although, 1st and 2nd are the only ones i really use that much)

-Tm