I'm having a bit of an issue if someone would assist. I'm trying to make some themed skins in relation to say video games, movies, pop culture ect. So I created a simple skin, installed, but it didn't show in the list, then I tried something even simpler by simply modifying the sample with differentcolors for the symbols such as the space symbol. That also did not work, the sample itself works fine and I checked and double checked to make sure I had all my file names and such correct. Does anyone have any ideas? Like I said I just pulled up the symbols with gimp and changed the white to green. Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome!
Create your own skins
mrcymstr wrote:I'm having a bit of an issue if someone would assist. I'm trying to make some themed skins in relation to say video games, movies, pop culture ect. So I created a simple skin, installed, but it didn't show in the list, then I tried something even simpler by simply modifying the sample with differentcolors for the symbols such as the space symbol. That also did not work, the sample itself works fine and I checked and double checked to make sure I had all my file names and such correct. Does anyone have any ideas? Like I said I just pulled up the symbols with gimp and changed the white to green. Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome!post your file if you want someone to tell you what's wrong
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
Link wrote:Another version a little more glossy and removed the shift light.I like this one, can you do a pink one? C :<3
- Link
I'd be up for giving this a try. anyway the iphone.zip could be posted? I'd like to build off of it (different colors,etc)
Easy start.
Easy start.
For those who are interested in : I just uploaded an illustrated step-by-step "How To" guide to create a SKP theme HERE
(see 'Tutorial' tab).
It does not (at all!) replace the Cyril's indications from the 1st post, but I think it's a good complement, especially for beginners.
enjoy
It does not (at all!) replace the Cyril's indications from the 1st post, but I think it's a good complement, especially for beginners.
enjoy
excellent meyergre.
I'm a visual learner so this really helps.
I downloaded the android sdk which asked me to download the java sdk and it just bogged down my pc (work one too.....)
So I had to uninstall so I could get some work down....
Is draw9patch possible to have standalone?
If not, can designating where to expand be done in photoshop?
I messed with just changing some colors and it didn't come out right at all......
I'm a visual learner so this really helps.
I downloaded the android sdk which asked me to download the java sdk and it just bogged down my pc (work one too.....)
So I had to uninstall so I could get some work down....
Is draw9patch possible to have standalone?
If not, can designating where to expand be done in photoshop?
I messed with just changing some colors and it didn't come out right at all......
yes, you can draw expandable zones in photoshop. it's just some black pixels on each extremity. it's easier with the draw9patch, 'cause you can see the different areas, but it can be done with photoshop too. just take care to use a pure black with 100% opacity. 
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
For information it will be possible in version 4.2.0 to also skin the prediction bar (see this topic). Skin makers can already use this feature and let me know if it works (the extra tags will be ignored by older versions of the keyboard).
is the iphone.zip file proprietary or similar?
I'm trying to edit an existing theme, 3DKey, and I cannot get it to work after adding in the part to get the prediction bar to change. Every time I edit the xml, the skin becomes all black. Can anyone help?
Can you post your new skin? If it becomes black it means you made a mistake with images, or you found a bug 
Here it is.
It also did the same thing when I changed the file names to colors, the same colors of the background.
It also did the same thing when I changed the file names to colors, the same colors of the background.
So it's normal it doesn't work, as the images you used for the prediction bar (at least the background image is not a valid 9-patch image, it doesn't even have a 1-pixel border)
Right, they're .9 :/ why don't colors work in that field instead of a filename? I tried putting in a hex color but it didn't work either.
I didn't try actually, but colors instead of an image should work exactly like for the keyboard background (it's exactly the same code handling both)
i confirm. i updated my honeycomb skin with a gradient for the prediction bar, it works like a charm 
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
I tried colors, it didn't work. Could you take a look at the skin.xml? See what I did wrong? It'd be SO appreciated!
Got it... your picture is not a 9patch (.9.png), it's a simple PNG file with 1x1px size.
If you want to use a colour, try this way :

Calling your file .9.png is not enough. Have a look at this page for more explanations
If you want to use a colour, try this way :
<color-top>#FF1b1b1b</color-top>
<color-bottom>#FF1b1b1b</color-bottom> instead of your picture. It should solve your problem. Calling your file .9.png is not enough. Have a look at this page for more explanations
I know, the .9 was a stupid mistake :/ thanks though!
I tried to fix the xml, but it still doesn't work. Attached.
I tried to fix the xml, but it still doesn't work. Attached.
Haloruler64 wrote:I know, the .9 was a stupid mistake :/ thanks though!Here it is, working
I tried to fix the xml, but it still doesn't work. Attached.
3D.zip 64.5 KB · downloaded 740 times
I wrote the modification I told you in the XML, compressed once more, sent to my tablet, and... ta-daaaa!
Thank you SO much! It's highly appreciated! 
What did I do wrong in my xml? I can't tell.
What did I do wrong in my xml? I can't tell.
i'm not an expert, but i guess the <color> tag you used is not supported. in the xml i gave back to you, i'm using a gradient -as you did in your background- with the same color for the top and the bottom. you can use a .9.png picture too, but don't forget the expand marks on it 
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
Thanks so much man
Last question: Do you know anything about spacing? Like, each lines indent? I noticed yours has 2 spaces more with each line. Is that standard?
Last question: Do you know anything about spacing? Like, each lines indent? I noticed yours has 2 spaces more with each line. Is that standard?
meaning the gap between the keys ? there is no "standard" actually, i found a balance which seems pleasant to me, that's all 
i've drawn themes with thinner gap, and others even without buttons
so just do as it looks good to you 
note : think about low-res devices : if the gap is too big, the buttons will be too much thin, and the result could be ugly.
by the way, Cyril, is there a way to include ldpi pictures in the zip, like we can already do for hdpi with the drawable-hdpi folder ? i know the android sdk support it, but it seemed not to work in smart keyboard last time i gave a try.
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
i've drawn themes with thinner gap, and others even without buttons
note : think about low-res devices : if the gap is too big, the buttons will be too much thin, and the result could be ugly.
by the way, Cyril, is there a way to include ldpi pictures in the zip, like we can already do for hdpi with the drawable-hdpi folder ? i know the android sdk support it, but it seemed not to work in smart keyboard last time i gave a try.
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
No, I mean the gaps, or indents, before lines in the XML. You have to spaces more for each line down. That the standard? Or can you just press tab?
oh, sorry. it's a easier to read with tabulations, like in every markup, scripting or programming language,but you're not forced to follow it. any software would read it, with or without them.
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot man!
You know, it'd be interesting to create a skin optimized for 3D displays... once more phones then just the EVO 3D/Optimus 3D have them.
Hello
Can these skins be built on your computer and loaded into the emulator via the desktop?? Everytime I try to load to the emulator it is telling me no projects are found. I would really appreciate any help..
Can these skins be built on your computer and loaded into the emulator via the desktop?? Everytime I try to load to the emulator it is telling me no projects are found. I would really appreciate any help..
flagirl wrote:HelloYou have to create an sdcard for the emulator via command prompt, then manually push the skins to it. I can't remember exactly what you have to type, but when I get back in town I can find out unless someone else answers before me
Can these skins be built on your computer and loaded into the emulator via the desktop?? Everytime I try to load to the emulator it is telling me no projects are found. I would really appreciate any help..